Budget Weddings Forum

Videographers?

We recently have a little wiggle room in our budget, and I was wondering what people thought about the importance of videographers on the wedding day-did you feel it was important/worth spending the extra money over just having a photographer? I'm trying to decide between that and just putting a little extra spending money towards our honeymoon. Our wedding is coming up in about two months, but there are a few available in the area that we could use (as we're getting married on a Sunday). If you used a videographer, did you think it was at all useful to have them at the reception, or just the ceremony? 

Thanks in advance!

Re: Videographers?

• I hired a videographer for my first wedding. He did the ceremony and the first part of the reception. Honestly, I watched the video once. I'm all about traveling, so I'd rather put it toward the honeymoon.

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We skipped the videographer to save, and I'm glad we did. Videos are nice, but honestly, how often are you going to watch it? Is it really worth hundreds of dollars? If you hire a great photographer, there's no need to splurge on a videographer. The photos & our wedding script are enough to keep the memory alive for us. 
  • We skipped it as well. I have no regrets.

My friend got married 8 years ago and had a videographer. She has told me that she's never watched the video but her mom watches it a few times a year.

I think it depends on your level of sentimentality.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I was recently told by my boss that his biggest regret was talking his wife out of getting a videographer.  He has a friend attempt to film it, but mixed up the record button, so they didn't get any footage.  Since I'm working on a tight budget, we are going to just get video with go pro cameras that will be placed in different locations.  I might do 3 max (one which capture us during the ceremony, one in my bouquet for an alternative view, and one given to a friend in the audience to capture me coming down the aisle).  I'm not really into the profession wedding videos, don't see that we would watch it much, but I want to capture all different moments throughout the night- and this seemed like a cool idea especially since you can stick them almost anywhere.  I'm sure you can find a place that rents them out.  I found one that was $40/camera.  
  • edited March 2015
    I really believe getting a wedding video is a must. Less than a year ago I was on the same position as you are because it can get really expensive. However, my cousin got married recently and she decided to go for the DIY route. After re-living all the fun we had at her wedding, I convinced myself I need to have a wedding video. I believe she used WeddingMix and I will be using the same video app. They are incredible affordable! You should definitely check out their services.
  • It's been over two years and I have no regrets about not having one.  My parents had a video of their wedding, and they never watched it until I was 9 or 10, and that was just my siblings with my mom watching it.  My dad came in half way through. They have never watched it since, and they've been married 30 years. It just sits at my grandparents' house gathering dust.  

If you have the money, go for it, but we didn't have a ton of money and didn't feel the need.
  • We used WedFlik because I liked the idea of having SOMETHING, but couldn't justify spending 4 grand on a video I might only watch once. An $800 WedFlik package was more palatable, even if I didn't end up liking/watching it.

The video isn't GREAT, partially because I didn't manage the cameras very well, didn't have the ceremony one well-placed, didn't get the reception ones handed out while people were sober. But it's decent, and I'm glad I have it.

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I love my wedding video and it was the best money we spent. It was great to see things from a guest's point of view. I'm so glad we did it.
  • Video is a must. We paid $800 for a film student who runs his own business. The quality is great, he's up and coming so it's not perfect, but it's better than having a friend or family member take video or to use a gopro or something similar. He came with two assistants so we had a more personal touch and many great shots from the day. We got all the raw footage as well as 3 DVD's and an upload on Vimeo. 

Photos are great and a necessity, but it's nice to be able to see family members talking, laughing, enjoying the day long after they are gone. We've watched our video a lot - it was the best money we spent. 

Everyone I know who skipped out on a videographer regrets it so that helped us make our choice. 
  • Thank you all for your responses :) I appreciate the advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards