Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Setting powder

I don't use any powder in my regular makeup routine, but at my makeup trial the MUA said I should get some to touch up throughout the day. I stupidly forgot to ask/write down what kind to buy, so I'm asking you ladies.

Is powder necessary or good to have? What type/brands do you like?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Setting powder

• I swear by powder!  I actually don't wear foundation- just dabs of concealer when needed, and pressed powder.

I like MAC Blotting Powder.  A little pricey, but decent at stopping shine and sheer enough to layer on several times throughout the day/night without caking.  It runs light though, so get a darker color than you would think (the MAC team will help you).

Some of the girls on here have referenced some HD Finishing powder- I think by Makeup Forever? I haven't used it, but people rave about it.

Good luck! 
  • I've used three so far - Laura Mercier pressed powder, an Urban Decay pressed powder and then a drugstore brand (NYC?) loose powder. All were translucent, just meant for setting makeup and fixing any shininess. Laura Mercier was the first one I bought and is hands down the best of the 3 that I tried.

I use the NYC now, since I don't really wear too much makeup and didn't want to splurge for my "every day" look, but I am definitely picking up another Laura Mercier powder before my wedding.
  • yes yes yes to setting powder!! I never wear concealer without setting it with powder. You can get something as cheap as translucent powder from a drugstore or something quality like laura mercier (my personal fave, but a super splurge). I personally haven't noticed TOO much of a difference so I just use drug store one now. Depending on the weather where you're from, it may be helpful to test them in warmer weather or after a busy day where you're running around. 

Honestly though, it depends on how good your foundation/concealer is (MAC prolong wear is my everything) combined with a great setting powder. They both work together to not clump or settle in fine lines and really do last all day.

• Be careful with HD powders and pictures, often times if they are not properly blended the flashback will look like you have baby powder on your face like below on the jawline.
    I would go with just a regular pressed powder in the shade of your skin. Grab a velour puff and press it into your t-zone when you get a chance or start to look oily. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards