Honeymoon Discussions

Has anyone been to Negril, Jamaica?

FI and I are going to Negril for our honeymoon.  I'm SO excited, but we don't know a lot of people who have been there recently, so I'm basically going off online reviews for excursions.  Has anyone been?  Do you have any suggestions about things to do/avoid?

Re: Has anyone been to Negril, Jamaica?

• We went in September for our honeymoon. Where are you staying? We were at Swept Away. I loved it, the resort was awesome, the beach was awesome. Some of the vendors on the beach got annoying but that's kind of to be expected. I mean they don't harass you or anything if you say no thanks, but their voice walking up and down the beach yelling "cigars" all day when you just want peace and quiet. We didn't do any excursions off the resort. Ours included snorkel, kayak, sunset catamaran cruise which went by Rick's Cafe but you couldn't get off. That was good enough for us.

• We're staying at Sandals.  We have one of the rooms right off of the beach, which I'm SO excited for.  So far we haven't planned any excursions, but I think there's one with waterfalls that I wanted to do.  And I wanted to maybe go to Rick's or something, because I've heard it's pretty cool.

I went to the DR a few years ago with a friend, and definitely experienced annoying vendors there.  I know what you mean - not harrassing, but annoying.  I think Sandals might have a little stretch of a private beach, but I could be wrong (and the vendors might still sneak on it).

Thanks so much!  I'm so excited!  I've only taken 2 vacation days since I started my job in early August (Christmas Eve and the day I got sworn in to the Bar), so I'm SO ready for a weeklong beach vacation!

• Nice! Our bus from the airport had 6 honeymoon couples and half were staying at Sandals and half at Swept Away. It looked very pretty when we dropped the people off there. On the way there (about 1.5 hour drive) you will see extreme poverty. Little cinder block shacks that say "school" and "hospital". It's really sad. They stop at a little local store of course...we got back on the bus when a guy wouldn't stop trying to sell us drugs. They all say "it's legal here, mon!" but my husband is like then why are they hiding it in their pockets in small pouches like they do in the US? Doesn't seem too legit if you ask me....

Rick's was really cool. We only saw it from the water boat but it looked really fun for the people who were there. Of course the guys/ kids jumping ask for lots of tips. You will have a great time, I've never seen a beach so calm in my life!

• anrforanranrforanr member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    We are going to Couples Sans Souci for our HM - I've never heard of Rick's. Is that something we should plan in? What is it/what's so special about it?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• anrforanr said:

We are going to Couples Sans Souci for our HM - I've never heard of Rick's. Is that something we should plan in? What is it/what's so special about it?

Rick's is where people do the cliff jumping. But, it's about a 3 hour drive from Sans Souci. When I stayed at SS, I never left the resort, but Dunn's River Falls is the closest attraction. 

• Negril is awesome! We stayed at Riu Tropical palace March 2014. We met 2 other couples that had previously staed there but decided to try other properties. Both made arrangements to switch back to Riu.

If you go to RIck's you have the option of jumping... after a few rum and tings I decided it was a good idea- don't do it! My tail bone was extremely sore for the next 5 days. If you see women with bruises on their arms/butts, they probably jumped.

You should also check out the one love bus bar crawl. It doesn't really have anything to do with Bob Marley but you get to see different bars starting with very local (justice of the peace that serves drinks in her front yard) to beautiful bars insides caves were portions of pirates of the Caribbean were filmed. You stay around 45 minutes each. Although I will warn you they pack a LOT of people onto

• I'm late to this party but we went to Negril in December. Stayed at Riu Palace. We mostly stayed at the resort, but highly recommend scuba diving (you can probably get certified at your resort). The catamaran trip to Rick's is really fun. We also did a bar hopping tour of local bars which was really fun. If you walk on the beach EVERYONE will try to sell you stuff. Just say no thanks and then ignore them. Also, everyone expects tips, for everything. Bring a lot of singles.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards