Connecticut

Inviting your boss?

Quick question... 

How many of you are inviting your boss to the wedding? 

I work at a school and I am wondering if I HAVE to invite the principal?  I am friendly with her when in school becuase that is the thing you should do (but, I don't have an out of school relationship with her), and I feel it may be awkward to have her at the wedding since it is just friends and family and the coworkers I will be inviting would feel awkward too.

It is also awkward for me personally because I had issues with her throughout this year's school budget, which ended in my position being majorly cut in time for this coming September.  Less money will be coming in...yikes!  I can't even think about that.  Because of this, I can't really afford those "extra" type of invites.  Hmmm....

What would you do?  Thanks!!!  :)

Re: Inviting your boss?

• edited December 2011
    you definitely do not have to invite your boss to the wedding. its a nice gesture i guess depending on your relationship with the boss but not necessary. im not inviting mine or anyone i work with, even, if that helps you!

House Renovations
    Married Bio

I am a gluten-free, gun-toting wife! :P

I love you, Daddy...2/24/1953 to 2/13/2011image
  • edited December 2011
    I think you've answered your own question. Like you said, you don't have an "out of work relationship" with her.  If you would not feel comfortable having her there, then don't invite her. People understand that weddings are expensive, so I don't think she would be offended. Go with your gut! :o)
    FWIW, I don't think either of us are inviting our bosses.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    planning bio
  • starrbuk13starrbuk13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i would not invite her.  you aren't really friends with her....
  • wrdgirlwrdgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's not necessary to invite your boss if you don't want to. 

I am inviting only one of my co-worker, we're sort of close at work and she is the only person that knows in the entire company (we have about 20 people lol) that I'm getting married and is good at keeping it a secret.  I am debating whether to invite my boss as well but my problem is I am afraid he is going to tell others (he is an older person and likes to share things lol).  He has been very good to me in and out of workplace.
  • jennylove810jennylove810 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will be inviting my superiors and coworkers to the wedding.

I don't have an out-of-work relationship with these people, but I like them, they're good people, and I'm happy to have them attend.
  • Jkab0922Jkab0922 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am inviting my boss but she has been instrumental in getting me to where I am in the company. It took me a long time to decide who to invite from work but I settled on inviting my whole team (there are only 7 of us so it was all or nothing there) and then a few other people in the office that I actually hang out with outside of work. The way I thought about it was, if I left the company tomorrow, who would I still like to stay in touch with?
    Baby #1 is on the way! BabyFruit Ticker You can't think negative thoughts and expect a positive outcome...
  • edited December 2011
    if it's stressful to think about sharing your wonderful day with this person...boss or not...then don't invite them. It's not rude or inappropriate, so do what is right for you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! 172 invitedimage 149 accepted!image 23 can't make itimage
  • stefolitastefolita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies! 

I really appreciate your input!  :)  I just wasn't sure if inviting the boss was something a bride and groom are supposed to do.  Have a wonderful day and best of luck with the wedding planning!  :)
  • edited December 2011
    I am in the exact same boat!! I'm a school psychologist and I am inviting friends from the school I work at, but I do not have a relationship with my principal.  I have to get along with her because of my position, but I honestly don't want her at my wedding.  AND I don't want my friends who are also my coworkers to feel uncomfortable because their boss is there.  It's a big party, out of state for all of them over our February vacation, which means party time and relaxing.  I have been asking a lot of people if I should invite her, and I have received a unanimous NO! :)  So she is not invited! AND I don't feel bad!!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards