DIY Wedding Forum

Candles/Candleholders

Hey Everyone! Posting this for a friend.

She is wanting small square candle holders to go around her big centerpiece in the center of each table. We thought we had everything that we wanted, We got candle holders from the dollar store and votives in the wedding colors at yankee candle. Except now putting them together and the candle holder is an inch taller then the candle and it looks....stupid...easiest solution would be new candles instead of holders, but we are open to switching out either to make it work. Any suggestions on where to find new candles or candle holders? Other then amazon please!

Original candles are from Yankee and Holders are from Dollar Tree

Re: Candles/Candleholders

• Flip the candle holder upside down and put the votive on top in a round plain votive holder (to contain the wax)...

Also, as someone who is extremely scent sensitive (and something relatively common for individuals to have who also have asthma), unless this is a neutral scent, she may want to rethink that brand of candle as it can also interfere with the palate for the meal.  Beeswax and unscented are your best friends!

• I would just go with simple, unscented tea lights - floating would look nice as well... similar to this.

If you have an Ikea, that's a good place to find tea lights, or really any craft store should have them as well.

If she wants to add color, she could color the water with food coloring.

• MesmrEwe said:

Flip the candle holder upside down and put the votive on top in a round plain votive holder (to contain the wax)...

Also, as someone who is extremely scent sensitive (and something relatively common for individuals to have who also have asthma), unless this is a neutral scent, she may want to rethink that brand of candle as it can also interfere with the palate for the meal.  Beeswax and unscented are your best friends!

I agree on the scents. Also, scented candles rarely work well with food.

Ikea is great for candles and holders. I actually bought a huge lot on ebay for cheap- around $35 for 144 clear glass tealight holders. This was a while ago but it might be worth checking out.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have to agree with PP on the scent issue. I'm really sensitive to smells and a lot of scented candles actually make me sick. Plus, you light a bunch of those around a table and the smell can get really really strong. It's not fun to have a perfume-y candle smell wafting into your face while you're trying to eat. 

Anyway, can she just put something in the bottom of the candle holders to give the candles some height? White sand, pebbles, etc? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards