Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Best place to buy champagne? How much?

My bar package doesn't include champagne for the toasts, so I need to buy it myself. 

I've heard Costco would be a good place for it? Any other ideas? 

Also, how many bottles? I'm having 6 tables, with 8 people each. The champagne is just for the toasts, so pretty much one glass/person. I think I need 2 bottles per table? 1 doesn't seem enough for 8 people. 

Re: Best place to buy champagne? How much?

• Are you allowed to bring your own alcohol into the venue? If so, do they have a corkage fee? I would ask both of these questions. The champagne should be opened by servers - those corks can poke someone's eye out (seriously though) and I wouldn't leave that to guests..

Anyway, I would do 4 bottles per table. Some people may pass, some people may want to drink champagne all night. If you offer it, you should make it available for the entire evening.
    *********************************************************************************

• The venue does do the serving of it, just doesn't supply it. So right at the time for toasts they will bring a tray to each table with a filled glass for each person.

I didn't think it would be an issue to only have it available for the toasts? The bar is an open bar, just the venue doesn't supply champagne for whatever reason.
  • IME it's a waste of money to do a champagne toast.   I personally do, but so many people do not like champagne.    My DH flat out hates it.    

If you want champagne then I would just have it at the bar as an option.  Then people can get it if they want, but you will not waste as much.

As far as amounts, you will get about 6-8 glasses per bottle depending on the pour. So that would be about 1 or 1.5 per table.   If you choose to do a toast I would do a short pour and most of it will go to waste.

FWIW - I've worked a lot of weddings and see a ton of barely touched glasses of champagne sitting around.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I agree with PP, let Champagne be an option for people to have but don't pour a glass for everyone. I love sparking wine in general and would definitely drink it. Maybe on your menu where you put the wine list you also list the sparking options. 

Also, it is important to note if you are getting champagne, make sure it is good! Often people buy really cheap and sweet champagne just to have it! I would much prefer a nicer cava or prosecco to a low end, overly sweet champagne that is just going to give headaches. 
  • I love champagne/sparkling.

Please don't get the crap stuff that's $4 a bottle.  No Cooks, J. Roget, etc.  If you're going to do it, which yes--some will go to waste--at least commit to doing it well.  If you don't want to spend on champagne, consider getting a nice prosecco or cava.
  • My experience working weddings is the same as lyndausvi's - you'll see a lot of partially full glasses lying around at the end of the night.  I would just have it available to get at the bar if they want it and let people toast you with their beverage of choice, whether that be champagne, water, bourbon, soda, etc.  Don't force a beverage on someone just for the sake of toasting.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards