Chit Chat
Options

First Easter!

My fiancé and I are having our first easter without family this year (just not practical for us to be able to make it out to either family). I've never really made an Easter dinner before, but we both thought it would be fun to have some kind of nice/traditional meal. Neither of us are scared of cooking or trying new things, we just need ideas for the menu. Thanks!

Re: First Easter!

• Options

Every year for Easter, we do a ham.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Lamb chops would be nice and "Easter-y" while still being a scalable meal for 2 people, i.e. not having leftover ham for weeks. And they're kind of fancy/special to make, too.

The other staples in my family - scalloped potatoes, asparagus, glazed carrots, deviled eggs - are all easy to scale down to two people.

• Options
    Yeah, I was going to suggest lamb chops. What foods are traditional for your families? Maybe we can help you scale them down.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Agree with PP's that lamb chops are a good meat for two people. FI and I did lamb last easter for just the two of us.

This year we're going to do a glazed ham and deal with the left overs along with melted leeks and lemonshallot asparagus.
  • Options
    FI's family always has pineapple casserole.  I don't know their exact recipe, but it's definitely similar to this: http://www.food.com/recipe/pineapple-casserole-217029

I know it sounds kind of weird (and it's even weirder when you eat it expecting potatoes...), but it's actually really good!

• Options

The other night I got a "cook in the bag" frozen turkey breast from Target and it was awesome.

We're not big cooks though.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    We have always had ham (with my dad's homemade honey-mustard sauce), mashed potatoes, baked beans, and some kind of veggie. And deviled eggs of course!

• Options
    Baked Ziti is a great holiday meal for two.
  • Options
    My family never did an Easter dinner, but my ex's family would either do a ham or turkey.
  • Options
    If lamb chops seem a bit difficult and you want to stick with ham but don't want tons of leftovers then try getting one or two ham steaks and just quickly pan-fry them and serve with a few yummy sides.
  • Options
    We were in the same situation last year and we grilled steaks.  :)  We did a nice salad, mashed potatoes and rolls.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    When its just DH and I for a special occasion, I always like cornish hens. Easy and small. Everyone else posted great sides, yum!
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    "Eternity is a ham and two people"  -Dorothy Parker

Seriously, don't do a ham.  I did one 2 years ago and it took FOREVER to eat it all, despite freezing a large amount of it.

Growing up we always did a tri-tip on the grill.  I grew up in Central CA where tri-tip was pretty much standard for any holiday.  I might do one this year though.

Lamb kebabs might be good too.  It's less hard to screw up kebabs.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    My BSC grandma has am amazing recipe for herb rubbed pork roast with gravy. It is to die for.

...also, ham is the devil.
  • Options
    emmaaa said:

DH's family always does fired chicken, fried okra, mashed potatoes, salad, green beans, deviled eggs, and a lemon pound cake. 

My family usually does a ham, mashed potatoes, and green beans. Like other PP's have suggested, a ham is a lot for just two people, lamb chops actually sound delicious. 
    That sounds amazing! I'm definitely making a lemon pound cake this year.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

FI's family always has pineapple casserole.  I don't know their exact recipe, but it's definitely similar to this: http://www.food.com/recipe/pineapple-casserole-217029

I know it sounds kind of weird (and it's even weirder when you eat it expecting potatoes...), but it's actually really good!

It's literally the best stuff ever. I love pineapple casserole.
  • Options

emmaaa said:

DH's family always does fired chicken, fried okra, mashed potatoes, salad, green beans, deviled eggs, and a lemon pound cake. 

My family usually does a ham, mashed potatoes, and green beans. Like other PP's have suggested, a ham is a lot for just two people, lamb chops actually sound delicious. 
    That sounds amazing! I'm definitely making a lemon pound cake this year.
    It is so. much. food. I'm craving it right now. FIL makes the best pound cakes and gives me and SIL extra lemon glaze :)

• Options
    emmaaa said:

DH's family always does fried chicken, fried okra, mashed potatoes, salad, green beans, deviled eggs, and a lemon pound cake. 

ETF: Not "fired chicken." We only eat gainfully employeed chickens,
    Now this is a menu I can get behind!

• Options

It's literally the best stuff ever. I love pineapple casserole.
    This sounds like the grossest thing in the world, but I feel like I really need to try it.
  • Options
    I work every Easter, so it's just me and Fi at home after work.

I get a 1/4 sized spiral ham from TJs or local supermarket (they are already cooked) which is small enough that we have some left overs (I LOVE leftovers) but not enough for 3 weeks...

It does take a little while to heat, but you can't really mess it up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards