Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Cord Braiding Ceremony Help!

So we are doing a cord braiding ceremony as our unity ceremony and we're trying to figure out what the best thing is for the moms to do. I love in when using a unity candle how the moms like the outer candles or sand the moms bring the separate sands down but we don't really know how to incorporate the moms with a cord braiding ceremony. We were thinking of having them each bring down the respective cords and then tying them on the ring that will already have the cord representing God tied to it but is that too weird? I'm afraid it will look weird them just bringing a cord up to the alter. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Re: Cord Braiding Ceremony Help!

• We didn't have a unity anything, so the moms just didn't do that. It's okay if they're just honored guests - the unity ceremony doesn't have to represent that you came from your parents, just that who the two of you are now are becoming one.

If either of them would have been upset at the loss of their "role," I'm pretty sure that was mitigated by the fact that we both entered with both our parents - that symbolism made way more sense to me than my mom lighting a candle.

• We asked our moms to do readings- a little untraditional, but we wanted a nice way to honor them.

I think if you want to have them each bring up the cords, then that would be nice- you could also ask them if this is something that they want to do!
  • Ok so I am dumb and really do not know too much about cord braiding ceremonies so sorry in advance if this is a dumb idea. :)

Could a small part of the cord be cut and somehow in incorporated into each mothers corsage? It would just remain there as a small symbolic statement but you each would know that it was there. That way you do not have to worry about them carrying anything down, though I believe that is a good option if you would like to use it.

Sorry again if this is silly, just the first thought I had.
  • aliwis000 said:

Ok so I am dumb and really do not know too much about cord braiding ceremonies so sorry in advance if this is a dumb idea. :)

Could a small part of the cord be cut and somehow in incorporated into each mothers corsage? It would just remain there as a small symbolic statement but you each would know that it was there. That way you do not have to worry about them carrying anything down, though I believe that is a good option if you would like to use it.

Sorry again if this is silly, just the first thought I had.

No definitely not dumb! Thank you @aliwis000 that's a good idea!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards