Chit Chat

First Easter: Breakfast Edition

We are hosting about 5 people for breakfast after church and I have no idea what to make! I tend to stay GF for tummy issues, so any and all suggestions are welcome. I love cooking, and want to make something that is equally Ina Garten meets 30 minutes meals meets 10 dollar dinners (aka I can't be spending $32 on vanilla beans from Madagascar)

Also my friend is bringing her 1 year old; should I be expected to have a  little something for him (I would think so and it's no problem either way)? I have no idea what 1 year olds eat (technically 11 months).

imageimage

Re: First Easter: Breakfast Edition

• We're doing breakfast for Easter this year too, since my Gma is still recovering. This is what we're serving:

Bagels w/ cream cheese 
    2 Fritatas (one with broccoli, spinach & cheese, the other mushroom, peppers and cheese)
    French toast casserole 
    Mixed fruit bowl 

Maybe muffins too. I haven't decided. 
  • Quiche and baked French toast are my go tos for big breakfasts. There's also a really yummy brie and pear tart I can find for you later.

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/45394/light-and-fluffy-spinach-quiche/?page=0
    (I use dry minced onion, no onion chunks for me)

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/15057/overnight-blueberry-french-toast/?page=0

• My family does breakfast for family get together quite often and my go to entree is breakfast enchiladas. A little time consumig, but totally worth it.

I also always make Giada De Laurentis' recipe for Bacon and Pancetta Potatoes. Super delicious and I never have any leftovers. Instead of using regular potatoes, I substitute Ore Idea Southern Style Hash browns (the cubes, not julienned). I throw them in the pan frozen, but since they are small they cook quickly and still get crisp. I have done regular potatoes, but I have to make enough for 20 people. The frozen hash browns save me a LOT of time.
  • I would do a crustless veggie quiche (or do a crust if you can find a GF one) or BYO breakfast taco station with corn tortillas. Then add some kind of coffee cake, fruit, yogurt, coffee, tea, and a couple juices. 

Most of that is stuff you can either do the night before or the morning of so you're not scrambling after church when company is coming over.
    *********************************************************************************

• Here's the brie and pear tart... would be good with a GF oatmeal crust.

• edited March 2015
    Giada's blueberry french toast bake.  I add 3 cups of blueberries instead of 2.  I, also use a whole loaf of bread and not just three slices. And use the zest of two lemons.  This recipe gets so many raves for easter

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/baked-french-toast-with-blueberries-recipe.html

My other recipe is Eggbake. This is a family recipe. It is so simple, but it is important to remember this dish needs to sit overnight.
    1 Loaf seeded Italian bread cut into thick slices
    12 large eggs
    1 quart milk
    1 lb Cheddar cheese, sliced

Grease a 13x9 inch corning ware baking dish. Take the slice of bread and arrange on the bottom of the dish in one layer.  Add a layer of the sliced cheese. Arrange another layer of the sliced bread, and top with a another layer of the cheddar cheese.  In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and the milk. Pour over the egg mixture over the baking dish, and let the casserole sit *****OVERNIGHT. In the morning, preheat the oven to 350°F and bake for 1 hour, until the top of the casserole is brown and the cheese is melted. (I know bacon sounds fabulous in this, but it winds up getting soggy inside the casserole... no matter if you precook it or not.  Serve bacon on the side, for an amazing breakfast).  Clutch your chest and wait for impending heart attack.

• dolewhipperdolewhipper member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited March 2015
    climbingwifesouthernbelle0915 suggested is a great idea.

littlemushroom and she has a breakfast one too. If they're even a fraction as good as the regular ones, they are definitely something for me to consider!

lolo883 ! Do you know of a GF version?

ETA: I will look into the GF crust, lolo!

imageimage

• I'm making my (jewish) mom's blintz pie. It's just frozen blintzes in a casserole pan with a pour-over mixture of sour cream, eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar and baked. It's SO yummy. And you can change the flavor depending on what blintzes you use (I like cheese or blueberry).

It's a fun way for me to mix both cultures.
  • I'm making my (jewish) mom's blintz pie. It's just frozen blintzes in a casserole pan with a pour-over mixture of sour cream, eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar and baked. It's SO yummy. And you can change the flavor depending on what blintzes you use (I like cheese or blueberry).

That sounds delicious! Would you be able to PM the recipe? 
    *********************************************************************************

• Bacon. All the bacon. Baked eggs. Fruit salad. And biscuits.
  • JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

I'm making my (jewish) mom's blintz pie. It's just frozen blintzes in a casserole pan with a pour-over mixture of sour cream, eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar and baked. It's SO yummy. And you can change the flavor depending on what blintzes you use (I like cheese or blueberry).

That sounds delicious! Would you be able to PM the recipe? 
    I was incorrect: no milk! 8x8 pan. I like to use blueberry blintzes.

Also, it microwaves super well to reheat! And you could make it the day before and store in the fridge overnight pre-baking.
  • What about big batch biscuits and gravy as an option? They are super simple, and are generally a crowd-pleaser.
  • What about big batch biscuits and gravy as an option? They are super simple, and are generally a crowd-pleaser.

I havent found a good GF biscuit recipe yet

imageimage

• Bacon. All the bacon. Baked eggs. Fruit salad. And biscuits.

I went preliminary shopping for essentials yesterday and I got 2 packages of the Wright brand bacon ;)

imageimage

I havent found a good GF biscuit recipe yet
    Oh, duh. Forgot about that.
  • Cheesy potatoes for something carb-y and gluten free?
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Make Baked Spanish Egg & Sweet Potato Noodle Bowls

If you don't have a spiralizer to make sweet potato noodles, you can just grate the sweet potato or cut matchsticks. 

This is a super delicious dish --- I made it as a casserole since I don't have any ramekins & it was a big hit for the brunch I hosted a few weeks ago!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards