Chit Chat

Things you learn at the ER at 5am

More later on why I was there (it sucked), but I learned today that your Fallopian Tubes are not actually connected to your Ovaries. They are merely close by. I couldn't believe that I lived 32 years without knowing that little tidbit. It made me feel like less of an idiot when none of m friends knew either.

Anyway- why was I at the ER? I was getting my left Fallopian Tube removed because it was rupturing due to an Ectopic Pregnancy. Did I mention today is my birthday? Happy birthday, me.....

I knew I was having a failing pregnancy all last week and Ectopic was on the table. But nobody could find any signs that it WAS Ectopic, so my doctor treated it as such with Methotrexate in the hopes it would miscarry on its own. But I had cramps so bad on my way home from work that H had to come pick me up at the train station because I couldn't walk. They subsided, but came back with a vengeance around 1am. So off to the ER we went. They still couldn't see the Ectopic on scans, but they could tell I had some internal bleeding so they went in with a scope. Turns out, the tube was starting to rupture and leak blood, so they had to cut it out.

All things considered, the procedure went well and my OB said it shouldn't have any real long-lasting issues and should (hopefully) not affect future fertility. H and I were home by noon. Frankly, I feel like crap. My entire body hurts and it is tough to get around. H just went to fill my prescription for Percoset, which I was hoping to not have to take, but the pain is pretty fierce. 

Mentally, it's been really rough. Lots of tears. Very tough pill to swallow.

Re: Things you learn at the ER at 5am

• OMG Sar, I'm so sorry. I can't even think of anything else to say. :(

• wow... I'm glad they caught it before it fully ruptured but I am so so sorry that you had to go through that! I'm sending you all the virtual hugs and love.
  • Sorry to hear that. Feel better soon. 

• Oh my that's so awful! Besides the physical stuff I can't imagine how you're feeling. Sending good thoughts!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • (((hugs)))  I'm so sorry to this.

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way because I don't want to thread jack, but if the Ovaries and Fallopian Tubes are not connected how does the egg get to the fallopian tubes?  
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • AprilH81 said:

(((hugs)))  I'm so sorry to this.

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way because I don't want to thread jack, but if the Ovaries and Fallopian Tubes are not connected how does the egg get to the fallopian tubes?  
     I had the same exact question. I am telling you, H and I were blown away by this fact. The tubes basically catch the released eggs (http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/200908/fallopian-tube). She said it is entirely plausible that the left ovary would produce an egg that would then travel to the right side.
  • sarahufl said:

AprilH81 said:

(((hugs)))  I'm so sorry to this.

I had the same exact question. I am telling you, H and I were blown away by this fact. The tubes basically catch the released eggs (http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/200908/fallopian-tube). She said it is entirely plausible that the left ovary would produce an egg that would then travel to the right side.
    Wow it could travel that far?!?  I had no idea and I'm VERY sorry you had to go through this in order to find out.  
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • ::hugs:: I am so sorry for what happened. I hope you feel better soon.
  • I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you are feeling better, physically and emotionally. I know they say not mix booze and pain pills, but...

Anniversary

• I'm so sorry.

Anniversary
  • Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry!
  • I'm so sorry you're going through this.  Hugs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I'm so sorry. I hope you're able to heal both physically and emotionally.
  • I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this.  Sending thoughts and good healing vibes your way.
    Anniversary

• I am so sorry.
  • Oh, poor girl! I am so sorry, and sorry you hurt. Just take your percoset and try to sleep through the worst.  Don't try to get around or do things. 
    Huge internet hugs. Heal quickly. 
  • Ugh I'm so sorry you're going through this. Here's hoping the Percocet give you some relief.
  • I'm sorry. Cysts are horrific enough, I can't imagine what an ectopic pregnancy feels like, especially when you really want it to be a healthy pregnancy :( Don't hesitate to take the percocet, that's what it's there for. 

I kinda didn't really get that they weren't connected until kind of recently either. I guess I knew, but I didn't get it. They are kind of like little sea anemones that wave the egg in, and sometimes they miss. 
  • I did know that, but I teach a lot of sex ed and all of the diagrams show the tubes with littl finger things pointing towards the ovaries.

I really hope you're feeling better. Thoughts to you

• I'm so sorry! Take care of yourself physically and emotionally *hugs*

Also, add me to the list of people who didn't know your Fallopian Tubes are not actually connected to your Ovaries. I guess I never thought about it much before.

• I'm so sorry sarahufl. That is terrible. Sending you hugs and warm fuzzy thoughts, as you get through this. Take it easy and rest up. I hope you feel better soon
  • I did know that, but I teach a lot of sex ed and all of the diagrams show the tubes with littl finger things pointing towards the ovaries.

I really hope you're feeling better. Thoughts to you

I always knew the general lay of the land but I assumed they were connected.
  • Oh I'm so sorry - hugs to you and I hope you feel better soon.

• I'm so sorry you're going through this and hope that you have a speedy recovery. Sending you lots of hugs and prayers!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Whoa, I didn't know that. I always wondered how ectopic pregnancies really happened, though. They must be way more common than I was aware of.

Sorry you had to go through that. Wishing you a speedy recovery from the pain.
  • Whoa, I didn't know that. I always wondered how ectopic pregnancies really happened, though. They must be way more common than I was aware of.

The egg actually gets fertilized in the tube (a lot of people think that always happens in the uterus) then it's the tube's job to keep pushing the zygote to the uterus for implantation. One pregnancy out of fifty though, it implants in the tube.

The egg actually gets fertilized in the tube (a lot of people think that always happens in the uterus) then it's the tube's job to keep pushing the zygote to the uterus for implantation. One pregnancy out of fifty though, it implants in the tube.

*BOX*

I did know that, I just always assumed the ovaries were actually connected to the tubes.

• Wow I am so sorry. That's a lot to have to go through. I hope you feel better, physically and emotionally. So many hugs to you
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards