Getting in Shape

Insecure

I am really starting to stress out, my wedding is in less than a year! I haven't been to the gym in over a  year and I don't know how to start. I don't want to start going and get frustrated because I am doing things wrong. I like to swim and do yoga because due to health problems I can't do any other kind of exersice. Do you guys have any tips on how should I start and how many days a week I should start going.

Re: Insecure

• Does your gym offer pool aerobics and yoga classes?  If so, then start going to one of each once or twice a week.  Do what you like, not what you think you should do.  Also, talk to personal trainers at your gym.  You don't have to hire one, but they may be able to offer suggestions free of charge.

I am not sure of your health problems, but is walking possible?  If so, on the days that you don't have a workout class then go for a walk.  Start small, like 10-15 minutes and at a pace that is comfortable to you.  Then increase your time minute by minute.

But really your food intake is 90% of your battle.  If you don't watch what you eat or change your diet around then getting any sort of results is going to be difficult.  So I would sign up for My Fitness Pal to keep track of what you are eating.  It will help you to see the size portions you are eating and how you can cut back on certain things and maybe add in another items.  I am not a fan of eliminating things all together.  You should never deprive yourself of anything because you are then just setting yourself up of failure.  So if you love soda then allow yourself one every Friday.  If you love ice cream then indulge in that (keeping portions in mind) on Sunday.

Just remember that getting back into shape takes time and it will be difficult at first.  But if you get yourself into a routine (usually takes 2-3 weeks) it will be a lot easier to keep up with.  And don't push yourself to hard or expect too much at first or you will just get discouraged.  If, say during a swim aerobics class, you have to take quite a few breaks, that is okay.  You are still working out and pretty soon the number of breaks you have to take will go down.

• Do you like to workout at home?  I would suggest some great Yoga dads might be the best way to get back into a routine, especially if your scared to work out a gym.  Jillian Michaels has some great Yoga DVDs.  You could also walk outside for some cardio.  Since you have health issues, I would also ask your doctor what exactly it is you can do.

I agree with PP, food is a big part of getting healthy.  If you don't already, set up a My Fitness Pal account. Its completely free and it will help you keep track of your calorie intake, as well, as your carbs and fat for the day.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you so much ladies! I am downloading the app right now :).
  • Planks! Great exercise, plus you can build up slowly and it will give you confidence. Google "30 day plank challenge".
    Go to youtube and look up some good exercises for other areas of the body, squats are great and also some upper body exercises, and you can practice this at home. A year is enough time to tone up, no need to fret, just go and do it :-) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards