Chit Chat

Poll: How much did your marriage license cost?

124»

Re: Poll: How much did your marriage license cost?

• @knightsnurse I just noticed your username; I love it!

imageimage

• Ours will be $110 in a county of WI.

I just looked, and it's $115 in the county I'm in in Wisconsin. I hadn't gotten as far as looking at that yet-- talk about sticker shock!

Yeah, I wonder what tax was "cut" that resulted in hiking up these kinds of fees...

Weirdly, I don't recall other "official business" in WI being that expensive. Getting a driver's license was never a big fee from what I remember, but it's been a while since I was a resident there.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • @knightsnurse I just noticed your username; I love it!

Thanks!! :) I am mostly a lurker so it is easy to go unnoticed lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited April 2015

Ours will be $110 in a county of WI.
    I just looked, and it's $115 in the county I'm in in Wisconsin. I hadn't gotten as far as looking at that yet-- talk about sticker shock!

Yeah, I wonder what tax was "cut" that resulted in hiking up these kinds of fees...

Weirdly, I don't recall other "official business" in WI being that expensive. Getting a driver's license was never a big fee from what I remember, but it's been a while since I was a resident there.

I was thinking the same thing. Nickle-and-diming taxes and fees tend to target vices or things where people are perceived to be able to afford the tax. When we were in the LONG line in Cook County to get our license (and later my certificate), I was looking at all these couples and mentally calculating how much the county was raking in just in that hour alone. It takes all of 5 minutes of the employee's time to enter your info into a computer and collect your cash. So besides overhead, I really wonder what our fees are going toward. Edit: words are hard.

• MadHops21 said:

Dupage county, IL is $35 in cash, credit, or check. I feel spoiled now. But we both must appear with valid proof of our age. Is that normal? I guess I never really thought of 14 year olds appearing at the court house for that to be on their site..

My county makes you bring an official birth certificate! (As in, hospital "certificates of live birth" don't count. I don't even know whether my birth certificate is "official.") BUREAUCRACY!
    Oh, damn. I don't know what mine wants, I just looked at the site quickly. At least I have a year to find that if I need it. 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • $60 in Nye County, Nevada
  • Ours was $76, both people had to be there, but it's not far from where we live. 
  • levioosa said:

$85 for a public marriage license in L.A. County, and $90 for a confidential marriage license...which confused me.  WTF is a confidential marriage license? So you can be secretly married?  It's like they're asking for PPDs!  Apparently you don't even need a witness for the confidential marriage certificate. 

I remember looking that up when we were gonna go get legalized in CA. Orange County offers them too, but were not very clear on WTF they were. 
  • Also this is what the Maricopa County (the count I live in) license looks like:
    Meh, kind of plain Jane.

Here is the one Coconino county (the county up north)

THAT ONE IS PRETTIER AND I AM JELOUS.
  • We paid $115 for ours... I get pissy about it because If we could get married in North Dakota, our home state (same sex marriage) it would only be 65.  

We could have done 12 hours of pre-marital counseling to get it reduced to $40.  We skipped that. 
  • $60 in Las Vegas (Clark County)
  • MagicInk said:

Also this is what the Maricopa County (the count I live in) license looks like:

Meh, kind of plain Jane.

Maricopa County is stealing bandwidth? I have to say,Coconino county has a very pretty license.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2015
    $60, according to the State of Alaska website.

ETA: You also have to pay $30 for a marriage certificate, which you have to have if you want to change your name.
  • $66 in GA or $26 after PMC, which FI and I luckily have access to at no cost. Because neither of us are technically residents of Georgia, we have to drive the the county where we are getting married, which is 3 hours away, to get our license. If we were residents we could get it from any county in the state.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • MagicInk said:

Also this is what the Maricopa County (the count I live in) license looks like:

Meh, kind of plain Jane.

Obviously yours is not legitimate then. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards