Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Donut cake instead of traditional wedding cake

I'm not a huge cake fan and my fiance could go either way.  I've been looking for ideas on something to do instead of a wedding cake and came across the idea of a donut cake.  Different flavors of cake donuts stacked up on cake tiers.  My only concern has been the donuts getting stale before we get to that part of the reception.

Any ideas on how to prevent the donuts from getting stale?  Have you seen this before and if so, did they taste stale by the time you had one? 

Re: Donut cake instead of traditional wedding cake

• esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015

I'm not a huge cake fan and my fiance could go either way.  I've been looking for ideas on something to do instead of a wedding cake and came across the idea of a donut cake.  Different flavors of cake donuts stacked up on cake tiers.  My only concern has been the donuts getting stale before we get to that part of the reception.

Any ideas on how to prevent the donuts from getting stale?  Have you seen this before and if so, did they taste stale by the time you had one? 

I would love this, but I love donuts to an extent I can hardly describe. For people other than me, it would probably be a good idea to do a small donut tower-type thing along with a mix of other desserts -- definitely at least a small amount of cake, because lots of people love cake and are going to want it. 

As for the staleness issue, you'd probably have to work with a baker to have them made in the afternoon and delivered to the reception. If they're baked in the morning, they'd probably be pretty questionable by the time of your reception, if it's in the evening. 
  • I would just do a donut buffet. Chocolate iced, vanilla iced with peanuts, sprinkles, etc. I would find it odd to get a cut up donut for dessert, but a buffet could look awesome.
    *********************************************************************************

• You had me at donut.

Anniversary

• You had me at donut.

This!  Some friends of mine did this for their Wedding..  It was GREAT.  No worries about staleness because they were fresh that morning.  Really - unless the donuts are two days old you don't have anything to worry about other than having a stand for it.  A Wilton Stand with pillars or spacers from the craft store (with a 40% off Coupon) will get the job done and usually cheaper than renting. 
  • Thank you for all of the feedback!!
  • Love this idea. I think they'll taste fresh as long as they're made the day of.
  • Donuts. Yum.
  • As another non-cake eater, I think this is a cute idea. Another way to do donuts is to make a donuthole croquembouch type thing. I don't feel like donuts get stale any faster than cake so I think you will be fine. 
  • Love donuts!  Like PP said, as long as they are made the morning of your wedding they will be perfectly fresh and delicious.

I also think the donut buffet idea is your best option.  You can have different varieties to please practically everyone.  Cake, raised, cream filled, jelly filled, glazed, powdered, donut holes, etc, etc.

And make sure you have plenty because if your guests are anything like me this is what they will look like at your donut buffet...

• I'd take a donut over a slice of cake any day.
  • My cousin and her husband did this at their wedding...it was great!  All the guests seemed to really enjoy it.  They had it stacked in a "cake" formation like you were saying, too.
  • edited June 2015
  • I love doughnuts! I think if you get them the day of the, they should stay fresh. Maybe you should serve coffee with the doughnuts...
  • Many years ago my friend had a regular cake, a cheese cake and a Krispy Kreme donut cake at her wedding.  The donut cake was by far the most popular.  Krispy Kreme took glazed donuts and arranged them and put a thick layer of white frosting on top and then another layer of glazed donuts.  It was so much sugary awesomeness.
  • csuave said:

Many years ago my friend had a regular cake, a cheese cake and a Krispy Kreme donut cake at her wedding.  The donut cake was by far the most popular.  Krispy Kreme took glazed donuts and arranged them and put a thick layer of white frosting on top and then another layer of glazed donuts.  It was so much sugary awesomeness.

My teeth hurt just reading this description.

• Thanks for all of the feedback!  We are finally meeting with a couple bakeries next weekend to further discuss this idea and do a tasting.  The one bakery specializes in gourmet cake donuts...think blueberry pancake, banana walnut, bourbon caramel pecan, and cherry almond just to name a few.  The other bakery has more of your classic flavored cake donuts with a few gourmet offerings.  We are both very excited to see how these appointments turn out!
  • If your fiancé is busy, I could go to these tastings with you.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards