DIY Wedding Forum

XP: printing on shimmer envelopes

We used the white shimmer envelopes from Wedding Paper Divas and I'd like to print our address directly on the RSVP envelopes.  I'm just a little concerned that the printer ink might smudge on the pearlescent paper.  Has anybody tried this or does anybody have tips to avoid printer ink smudges?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: XP: printing on shimmer envelopes

• I didn't run any shimmer envelopes through the printer, but I did use an address stamp on shimmer envelopes and I did have to let them sit and dry. Do you have an extra or two that you can test it out on?
  • kikilamp said:

I didn't run any shimmer envelopes through the printer, but I did use an address stamp on shimmer envelopes and I did have to let them sit and dry. Do you have an extra or two that you can test it out on?

I do have a few extras, so I guess there's not much to lose by just trying it.  I thought about an address stamp but it seems like such a waste of money to get a stamp with our current names on it, when pretty soon we will be "The FiName Family."  Labels were suggested in my XP so I might try that, too, and just use a clear label.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• kikilamp said:

I didn't run any shimmer envelopes through the printer, but I did use an address stamp on shimmer envelopes and I did have to let them sit and dry. Do you have an extra or two that you can test it out on?

I do have a few extras, so I guess there's not much to lose by just trying it.  I thought about an address stamp but it seems like such a waste of money to get a stamp with our current names on it, when pretty soon we will be "The FiName Family."  Labels were suggested in my XP so I might try that, too, and just use a clear label.
    Agreed about the address stamp... It was worth it for me because we used it for stds, invites, RSVP cards, shower thank yous, etc... but after the wedding it's gone because I'd rather have something without my maiden name on it.

Clear labels sound like a good idea too... Either way I think they'll look great! I LOVE the shimmer paper :) Good luck!
  • kikilamp said:

Couldn't you just get "JCBride & FI" (no last names) on the address stamp, so you could continue using it after the wedding? Paper source just had a 25% sale on these - not sure if it's still going on.
  • kikilamp said:

Our stamp has just our first names on it. It's from MJsArtStamps on Etsy.

• edited March 2015
    I did clear labels for my adresses for my pearlescent envelopes and it looked really good. Bonus is now I have a template and labels for thank you cards and shower invites! It also is my back up of who was invited.
  • I have silver pearlescent envelopes and minted printed the return address and recipient address for us directly on the envelope so I imagine it can be printed directly on. 

• I printed directly on the gold shimmer envelopes from wedding paper divas and it looks great! Just make sure you let them dry for a few minutes.

• See if you've got a friend who has a laser printer...  Just be sure you use the right paper type settings...  No worries of smudging or drying that way...

• MesmrEwe said:

See if you've got a friend who has a laser printer...  Just be sure you use the right paper type settings...  No worries of smudging or drying that way...

High-end lasers can get hot enough to seal an envelope though, so keep that in mind.

Your standard desktop model shouldn't seal them (although sometimes mine tries) but your standard desktop model might struggle with the envelopes, too. Pearlescent paper can be slicker than normal copy paper, and a standard desktop laser may not be able to handle the difference.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • We wound up doing clear labels and it looked just fine.  It turned out the problem was not the paper, but the small size of the envelopes.  Too small to run through my home printer, and too small for a print shop's printers, either.  So clear labels it was!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards