Destination Weddings Discussions

Travel Agent Help - Destination Wedding!

We are trying to plan our wedding next February in Playa del Carmen.  We keep trying to get a travel agent to help as we have guests from all over the country and some from the UK.  We are not being unreasonable about our requirements, but want February 2016, adult only and all inclusive.  Any travel agent we have tried, we have waited 4-5 days to get ANY response to even simple questions (such as, do you you have other resort options you recommend as the one we want seems above our budget).  We hate having to feel like we are "bugging" our agent, but wanted to see if we are being unreasonable with our desire to have quick customer service when planning our wedding.  Any info that others have would be welcomed!

Thanks!

Re: Travel Agent Help - Destination Wedding!

• I don't have any recs, but have some thoughts based on previous experiences. If you are asking for resort options without pricing, or just asking general questions, and it's taking 4-5 days to get a response- I agree- that seems excessive. If you are asking for pricing and full up quotes, 4-5 days seems reasonable, especially if some of that is over the weekend. 

One other thing, that you probably already know, is that most likely, your US based agent cannot book your UK based clients. Or, at least, I don't think they can book their airfare. 

I'd also ask this particular agent about their experience with booking other DWs and how many they have booked in that region. If they haven't booked many at all, you may have your answer as to why it's taking so long. Definitely move on. If they have booked a lot of them, but not many in that area, you still may want to give them a chance. It may be taking them longer because they aren't as familiar with the area, but they know their stuff in general. If they are supposed to be an expert in this area, then no excuse. 

• I would just contact another travel agent.  We had our wedding in Cancun, and we used Beach Bum Vacations, which we found through other brides on here.  They were really quick to help with recommendations. 

But as a side note, start to prepare yourself for very pokey responses from pretty much any resort and/or wedding planner in Mexico as you start to get into the planner.  That's just how they roll, and it can be VERY frustrating at first. 
  • Thanks so much - I truly appreciate the feedback and will also be super patient once we start working with the resort.  Have a great day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards