Wedding Party

Something other than robes for the bridesmaids to wear the day of?

The whole robe for getting ready before the wedding thing is played out to me.  While cute, makes for great pictures, and useful, I don't want to do it for the following reasons

1.  I'm sure my bridesmaids have stash of satin robes in various colors with their initials or "bridesmaid" embroidered on them

2.  Having intials embroidered on a robe makes no sense as a lot of my bridesmaids are seriously dating people and their last names may change sooner than later anyway.

I want to get them something to wear while we are getting ready that is cost effective, cute, easy to get out off without disturbing their hair and makeup, and that they'll wear again.  Any suggestions?

Re: Something other than robes for the bridesmaids to wear the day of?

• Letting them wear their own clothes that they are comfortable and happy in is super cost effective (aka FREE).

• Last time I got my hair done for a wedding I was in, I wore a button down shirt I already owned and a pair of yoga pants.  Last time I was in a wedding, I got ready in my own hotel room and didn't meet up with the bridal party until right before the wedding supposed to start.
  • Let them wear whatever they want. Why do you need to specify what they wear to get ready in? In fact, why does everyone even need to get ready together? It doesn't always make for a great bonding time-I personally feel very awkward about having to "get ready" for anything in anyone else's presence. I'd rather just get ready by myself in private.
  • Why can't they get ready in their own clothes? Getting ready pictures are fun, but when it comes down to what you put in a frame and hang on your wall, it isn't going to be your BM's with their hair in rollers.
  • What other PPs said. Sure, the idea of pictures of you all wearing similar things sounds good in theory, but let's be honest -- 99% of the photos you get at the end are going to end up in an album sitting on a shelf somewhere in your house, assuming you bother getting them printed at all in which case they'll just sit on a CD somewhere. Of the ones you do print out and frame, they aren't going to be you and your BMs getting ready

• Clothes. Just good, old fashioned clothing.

Anniversary

• Skip the clothes & spend the money of food & drinks to enjoy while getting ready. Or if the girls are paying for their own hair & makeup, what they will appreciate more is if you take the money you were going to spend on clothes & put it towards the cost of their hair/makeup to help lower their expenses.
  • Another vote for just letting them wear whatever they want. I was in a wedding this past fall and the bride had 8 bridesmaids. The day of the wedding, every single one of us had on either a button down shirt or something that could easily be slipped off. Not because she told us to, but because we all knew we were doing hair and makeup. Your BMs will know this too. Use the money to pay for lunch if you'll all be there by then.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Another vote for just letting them wear whatever they want. I was in a wedding this past fall and the bride had 8 bridesmaids. The day of the wedding, every single one of us had on either a button down shirt or something that could easily be slipped off. Not because she told us to, but because we all knew we were doing hair and makeup. Your BMs will know this too. Use the money to pay for lunch if you'll all be there by then.

This! I knew to wear a button down for my wedding and when I was a BM. But the best gift my SIL got us the morning of her wedding was breakfast.
  • I only asked my bridesmaids to wear a plaid button down shirt (which all of them already own) and whatever bottoms they are comfortable in. I had a few bridesmaids thank me for being so easy going with the getting ready attire.
  • My favorite "getting ready picture" isn't even a pro photo. It's me and my best friend making silly faces and poses in the full-length mirror. Our hair is done, our make-up is done, I'm wearing a button-down and jeans and she's wearing an old baggy t-shirt from our college days. 

I truly will never understand the matching while getting ready trend. 

• Their own clothes. (i.e. don't specify anything.)

I promise you it will not matter what they wore. I barely remember what I wore and I didn't get married very long ago.
    *********************************************************************************

• I only asked my bridesmaids to wear a plaid button down shirt (which all of them already own) and whatever bottoms they are comfortable in. I had a few bridesmaids thank me for being so easy going with the getting ready attire.

I was even easier going with the getting ready attire. 

I didn't have any. I just let them figure it the fuck out themselves cause they're adults who have gotten ready pretty much everyday for several years now and know what they're doing.
  • I have no idea what my bridesmaids wore to get ready in, just like I have no idea what shoes or jewelry they wore. AmyBeth, telling them to wear a plaid button down is not easy-going and is not any different than OP wanting her girls to dress alike, so I'm not sure why you offered that as if it were. There are so many more important things to do and concern yourself with on your wedding day.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14

OK. I'll ask. Why was it SO earth shakingly important that they HAD to wear plaid shirts?
  • I have no clue what my BM's wore for getting ready, because they got dressed on their own and then met up with me for lunch in the bridal suite before we left for the ceremony.

I had my fill of "getting ready together" from doing theater.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• MobKaz said:

I only asked my bridesmaids to wear a plaid button down shirt (which all of them already own) and whatever bottoms they are comfortable in. I had a few bridesmaids thank me for being so easy going with the getting ready attire.

OK. I'll ask. Why was it SO earth shakingly important that they HAD to wear plaid shirts?
    Because it is what I want for my wedding. There are too many "rules" that people post. It's a little ridiculous in my opinion. The original poster asked for options other than robes, so I offered my opinion. My girls have plaid shirts already. It works for me.

Why were there any sort of guidelines at all for "Getting ready attire?" Getting ready attire is not a thing. Getting ready is not part of the wedding, and is not an event. I wake up every day and get ready. Usually in my pajamas and/or a robe. No one needs to set out guidelines for that. 
    My BMs didn't ask what they should wear or give me a gold medal for not having ridiculous attire demands. Because I'm not crazy.
    I'm not crazy either. My girls asked if there was anything in specific to wear while getting ready. I asked them to wear plaid, because it is what I want for MY wedding.

Why were there any sort of guidelines at all for "Getting ready attire?" Getting ready attire is not a thing. Getting ready is not part of the wedding, and is not an event. I wake up every day and get ready. Usually in my pajamas and/or a robe. No one needs to set out guidelines for that. 
    My BMs didn't ask what they should wear or give me a gold medal for not having ridiculous attire demands. Because I'm not crazy.
    I'm not crazy either. My girls asked if there was anything in specific to wear while getting ready. I asked them to wear plaid, because it is what I want for MY wedding.
    Your wedding consists of the ceremony and reception. Not all the hours leading up to it. Dictating that people wear a particular thing to get ready for an event is ridiculous and kind of insane. Did you also demand that they wear a particular color of pajamas on your wedding nights, since it's YOUR day? Were they required to wear a certain thing for the rehearsal dinner? What about for the bridal shower? Was there a dictated uniform for every wedding-related event? (And getting ready in the morning is not even a wedding-related event. It's fucking getting ready for the day. That's not special.) 
  • For all posters that are attacking me for sharing my opinion, please move on. The original poster stated

" I want to get them something to wear while we are getting ready that is cost effective, cute, easy to get out off without disturbing their hair and makeup, and that they'll wear again.  Any suggestions?" 

I offered my cost effective option that is not robes. If your opinion is to not ask bridesmaids to wear anything at all, just leave it at that. No need to attack someone for their opinion and answering a question asked by a fellow bride. Thank you for offering your advise to me and the other bride. I think she can take the hint that you all suggest that the bridesmaids wear what they want. But this particular bride wanted to get something for her ladies to get ready in. She may have changed her mind by now. But attacking my choice is not answering  a question. So it's much appreciated to move on from my original comment. I get it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards