Favors

Glass coasters as favors?

So, one of my aunts has been fantastic with working with me on the details for the wedding.  She suggested (and keeps suggesting), however, that we do glass coasters as favors.  I looked them up on the website and they are very cost effective and pretty.  However, FI says (and I have to semi-agree with him) that food is likely a better option because what's the likelihood of someone using glass coasters vs. someone wolfing down a thing of Snickers and Almond Joys?

I do agree that the coasters have a very elegant feel to them... they are pretty, which is the type of feel we are aiming for for the wedding writ large .. but I also think you can't go wrong with food. 
Thoughts? 

Re: Glass coasters as favors?

• Your FI is right.  

I already have coasters and don't need another set, especially a glass set because they will just collect condensation from the glass/bottle you stick on it and eventually that collected water will leak from the coaster to the table.  Thus making the point of the coaster moot.

And I am not sure about anyone else, but very rarely do I compare the elegance of the favor to the elegance of the wedding.

• I would either not take one of these or I would take one to be polite and recycle it when I got home. I have coasters at my house that match my decor. Most people do - they aren't expensive items. I don't need a single coaster from someone's wedding that doesn't match anything.

Your FI is right. Consumable is a MUCH better favor. 
    *********************************************************************************

• No offense to those who already used glass coasters for their weddings!!
  • Your FI is right.  

I already have coasters and don't need another set, especially a glass set because they will just collect condensation from the glass/bottle you stick on it and eventually that collected water will leak from the coaster to the table.  Thus making the point of the coaster moot.

And I am not sure about anyone else, but very rarely do I compare the elegance of the favor to the elegance of the wedding.
    You're absoltuely correct about the bolded.  I was more or less conveying what my aunt was going for/just saying to me as I was typing when suggesting the coasters rather than what I thought.  My FI and my goal is basically for people to walk out of there happy, full and with swollen feet from dancing the night away!  :)

And you both are right.  My FI said the exact same thing.  He said "we don't even use the coasters we have.  What makes you think someone else will use it?  It's a waste of money."  Touche.  Touche.
  • I agree with your FI. I think favors should always be food. I personally have enough coasters and wouldn't use one I got from a wedding. 
  • Unless you give me a set of 6 or 8, I don't want coasters. Plus, glass coasters are not absorbent.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • ugh, we have a set of glass coasters from a wedding. They are ugly- they say LOVE in blocks on them and look kind of ridiculous. We have been using them lately because we just moved and haven't gotten our house in complete order yet- we want to stain our kitchen table at some point and just haven't.

And glass coasters are THE WORST. Cups are constantly sticking to them.
  • @sarahufl that's a good point about the cup sticking to them.  This goes against everything I want in a favor/I spend money on for this wedding -- for there to be a purpose/utility to it, not for people to throw away and/or get annoyed by! 

You all convinced me very well!  No coasters!  lol!
  • I agree with mostly what's been said. One coaster isn't doing anyone much good. Thank your Aunt kindly, and then say you've decided to go with whatever you decided, because you love them just a little bit more. But maybe since your aunt seems to love them so much, you can give them to her as a Birthday gift?? haha
  • From a guest point of view " Oh joy, a single personalize coaster, it's pretty, but what am I suppose to do with single coaster, and one that is personalized with someone's wedding information, Can't even donate it to goodwill, into the trash it goes."

Another guest point of view "Cool chocolate, this was cute, and yummy. Where is there a seat where there is a favor and not a person so I can go steal another one."

• Coasters can look elegant and I saw some designs on Pinterest, however, as your fiance said you can't go wrong with food. Keep in mind that these coasters can take time plus who doesn't love food right?
  • I think any sort of housewares are really tricky, because you have to make sure that they match the style and feel of one's home otherwise they will be a waste.

Like, for me, if they were maybe some sort of artistic, colorful, abstract glass-work coaster, I would probably think that they were pretty; and since I'd want to buy those myself I'd be happy to get them from your wedding for free! But clear, white, or anything embellished or etched? No thank you!

So really, it's better to just play it safe and not do them imo. Unless you have money to burn, in which case I could easily think of a dozen other things to spend your money on your your wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards