Wedding Party

Bridesmaid Ordering Dress Two Sizes Too Small

Jeccles12Jeccles12 member
5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
edited April 2015 in Wedding Party
Help! 

My sister is ordering a dress two sizes too small in hopes of losing weight for my wedding. She did the same thing with her own wedding and didn't lose the weight, so had to take the dress out. My fear is it will be the same case here and they will not be able to take the dress out. 

I confirmed with the bridal salon that they suggest an 18 for her and she is ordering a 14.

Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated! 

Re: Bridesmaid Ordering Dress Two Sizes Too Small

• Order some matching fabric NOW.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • She is a dumbass, and when the dress doesn't fit, maybe she will realize it. Stay out of it unless she asks your advice, help, or input. She may find herself in a random dress on wedding day or not in the wedding party. Oh, well.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • The same mistake twice in a row? She sounds like a very hopeful person.

This is her problem - not yours. Try to relax. If she can't squeeze into the 14, shell have some serious problem solving to do..
    *********************************************************************************

• Jeccles12 said:

Hello! 

The bridal salon is having me sign a contract to confirm the dresses and sizes of the bridal party. I am guessing it's so if the dresses do come in and do not fit we can't blame the store. 

I am going to take the advice to just leave it and have her fix it if it comes in and does not fit! 
    This is most definitely the way to do it. You can only control yourself and there is no point in borrowing stress. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • MGPMGP member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    CMGragain said:

Order some matching fabric NOW.

Cautionary tale about ordering a dress too small:

My MOH wanted to wait and order her dress until she lost some weight.  Like, 50+ pounds.  I assured her she would look fabulous no matter what, and nicely asked her to order her dress no more than 4 months before my wedding (for the record we did not order dresses through David's Bridal which I know can have very quick turnaround times).  She ordered a dress about two sizes too small and didn't try it on until a week before my wedding.

Shocker - it didn't fit.

She called the dress store in a panic.  The dress had recently been discontinued.  She called the designer in a panic.  They had no samples but overnighted her some extra fabric.  She brought everything to our seamstress and picked up her dress the day before my wedding, late at night after the rehearsal dinner ended.  I had asked her to come to my house and hang out after the RD and she said she was tired, but didn't think much considering I didn't demand a bridal party sleepover so just figured she wanted to go home and relax.

I had no idea about any of this, in fact she didn't tell me until about five years after my wedding.  I asked her why and she said she didn't want to worry me - she is a fantastic friend.  They wore long black satin cocktail gowns so even if she couldn't get the alterations done we could have found a backup dress pretty easily.

Moral of the story is - don't order too small, and try your dress on with PLENTY of time to get alterations.

I did notice she was keeping her upper arms flat against her sides for most of the day.  She was trying to hide any noticeable seams from me since the seamstress used most of the material to make extra panels in the torso to take it out.  I thought she was nervous or something.  We laugh about the whole thing now.
  • I would call her and say:

"Hey Friend, I noticed that the salon recommended you order size "x" based on measurements but you plan to order size "y" and wanted to make sure that is correct? I'd personally be a bit nervous about ordering too small, since it's typically easier to get a dress taken in rather than let out if needed , so I just wanted to double check that this is what you want to order."
  • sjf2715 said:

I would call her and say:

"Hey Friend, I noticed that the salon recommended you order size "x" based on measurements but you plan to order size "y" and wanted to make sure that is correct? I'd personally be a bit nervous about ordering too small, since it's typically easier to get a dress taken in rather than let out if needed , so I just wanted to double check that this is what you want to order."

Don't do this.  This is micromanaging, and pretty insulting to her intelligence.  She knows what size she is ordering.  There's nothing like insinuating that your friend is fat and/or stupid to boost up a friendship. 

• @levioosa I don't think it's insulting to make sure you're reading the form right.
  • sjf2715 said:

@levioosa I don't think it's insulting to make sure you're reading the form right.

Except you're not saying that.  In your first post you specifically mentioned "ordering too small" which insinuates that you think she's too fat for the size or can't read and is ordering the wrong size.  Both are micromanaging and insulting. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards