Chit Chat

Spinoff: how clean is your house? (normally)

Re: Spinoff: how clean is your house? (normally)

• amelisha said:

amelisha said:

amelisha said:

I'm fascinated by how clean some people here are! I'm also noticing that I'm a filthy beast.

But I have to ask the super-clean folks here: how do you live with kids and animals? Or how do you plan to handle kids? Kids, particularly little ones and teens, are disgusting.

Our teen boy is literally the most disgusting human being I've seen leaving bodily fluids everywhere, tracking nastiness all over the house, and creating messes so disgusting I never knew they were possible. My niece is 3 and is nasty. While she's a princess who hates having visibly dirty hands, she touches everything, drops things everywhere, and has accidents on numerous surfaces. Our dog sprints to any pile of shit he can find in any backyard or dog park. He also likes to play in mud, lick things, and rub up against any surface.

Also, do you worry about your immunity? I keep reading about how the overuse of anti-bacterial cleaners is weakening our immunity to germs. Which I remind myself of regularly when applying the 5 second rule to food or using public restrooms.

I don't have kids or pets, but my mother is ten times cleaner than I am and stays that way despite pets and taking care of six kids under school age every day in her home, so I assume that if we change our minds on kids I'll manage too. We do plan to get a dog and cat but we're going with mostly non-shedding breeds to make it easier on me. And I always had pets growing up and we did fine. Mostly they just got a quick paw-and-face wash by the back door and their teeth brushed every night (along with a monthly bath.)

Um, I don't even always brush MY OWN teeth every night. The bolded is more than a little OTT to me.
    It's on her vet's advice - preventing gum issues and infections later. A lot of health problems can be prevented by taking good care of their teeth and gums, apparently. It doesn't make their breath smell better (chicken flavoured toothpaste) but it does keep their mouths in good shape and helps not breed infections and rotten teeth, so my mom has done it for every dog she's had since then. 
    I mean, obviously it is important to take care of your pet's teeth. No one is debating that. This just seems like serious overkill.
    I don't know, I don't go to the vet with my mom. That's just what she does based on what the vet told her. Once a day if the dog will allow it is what she said to aim for.
    I'm impressed that 1. you remember to do it every day and 2. that you take the time to do it. 

I have a tooth brush and stuff for my dogs but I never brush their teeth. Big dog is scared of the tooth brush and will literally clench his mouth shut like his life depends on it. Beagle is an asshole and just eats the toothpaste and then takes off, or tries to eat the tooth brush. So I gave up after a couple tries. 

I hardly even remember to give them their heartworm pills once a month, so I probably wouldn't remember to brush their teeth either, even if I could somehow get them to cooperate. 
  • amelisha said:

amelisha said:

amelisha said:

I'm fascinated by how clean some people here are! I'm also noticing that I'm a filthy beast.

But I have to ask the super-clean folks here: how do you live with kids and animals? Or how do you plan to handle kids? Kids, particularly little ones and teens, are disgusting.

Our teen boy is literally the most disgusting human being I've seen leaving bodily fluids everywhere, tracking nastiness all over the house, and creating messes so disgusting I never knew they were possible. My niece is 3 and is nasty. While she's a princess who hates having visibly dirty hands, she touches everything, drops things everywhere, and has accidents on numerous surfaces. Our dog sprints to any pile of shit he can find in any backyard or dog park. He also likes to play in mud, lick things, and rub up against any surface.

Also, do you worry about your immunity? I keep reading about how the overuse of anti-bacterial cleaners is weakening our immunity to germs. Which I remind myself of regularly when applying the 5 second rule to food or using public restrooms.

I don't have kids or pets, but my mother is ten times cleaner than I am and stays that way despite pets and taking care of six kids under school age every day in her home, so I assume that if we change our minds on kids I'll manage too. We do plan to get a dog and cat but we're going with mostly non-shedding breeds to make it easier on me. And I always had pets growing up and we did fine. Mostly they just got a quick paw-and-face wash by the back door and their teeth brushed every night (along with a monthly bath.)

Um, I don't even always brush MY OWN teeth every night. The bolded is more than a little OTT to me.
    It's on her vet's advice - preventing gum issues and infections later. A lot of health problems can be prevented by taking good care of their teeth and gums, apparently. It doesn't make their breath smell better (chicken flavoured toothpaste) but it does keep their mouths in good shape and helps not breed infections and rotten teeth, so my mom has done it for every dog she's had since then. 
    I mean, obviously it is important to take care of your pet's teeth. No one is debating that. This just seems like serious overkill.
    I don't know, I don't go to the vet with my mom. That's just what she does based on what the vet told her. Once a day if the dog will allow it is what she said to aim for.
    I'm impressed that 1. you remember to do it every day and 2. that you take the time to do it. 

I have a tooth brush and stuff for my dogs but I never brush their teeth. Big dog is scared of the tooth brush and will literally clench his mouth shut like his life depends on it. Beagle is an asshole and just eats the toothpaste and then takes off, or tries to eat the tooth brush. So I gave up after a couple tries. 

I hardly even remember to give them their heartworm pills once a month, so I probably wouldn't remember to brush their teeth either, even if I could somehow get them to cooperate. 
    Yeah I it would interesting to see how my dog would do with me brushing her teeth.  Hell when it is time to give her her heartworm and flea preventative pills, which are just like treats, she runs away with her tail in between her legs.

As for my dogs teeth, they are gorgeous and white and she does not have bad breath.  That is due to H and I giving her a denta stick every day before we leave for work.  She absolutely loves them and from what I can tell keep her teeth and gums very healthy.  And it is a lot easier then trying to chase her down with a toothbrush.

• @novella1186, my family's dogs have all loved it. As soon as they see the toothbrush come out they're in my mom's lap ready to go. It might just be the meat-flavoured toothpaste or she might just be lucky to have dogs with that kind of personality, but yeah, it's pretty cute.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • amelisha said:

@novella1186, my family's dogs have all loved it. As soon as they see the toothbrush come out they're in my mom's lap ready to go. It might just be the meat-flavoured toothpaste or she might just be lucky to have dogs with that kind of personality, but yeah, it's pretty cute.

We've tried the meat-flavored toothpaste. Didn't help :( 

Our dogs just like to be particularly difficult. I wish they would let us brush their teeth, because beagle is getting old and her teeth have gotten nasty, so we had to pay $300 to have her sedated for a professional teeth-cleaning. The vet has recommended that we do this once a year for her (not happening) and they want us to do it for big dog too before his teeth get bad. Ugh. 
  • Wow... I just read of that. It was very entertaining.

I am definitely one of the gross ones here! As other have said I the over killing of germs is not good and I do truly believe that as I never really get sick (knock on wood).

I wish I could keep my house cleaner and in no way is it disgusting but I have to do at least a 30 min clean before someone comes over to feel better about it. I am seriously considering getting a housekeeper for like every other week. I want a clean house, but don't want to spend my free time doing it.

Shoes tend to get worn in the house during the summer/nicer months and taken off during the winter. We have hardwood floors so its not really a big deal to me.

H's brother's house is always IMMACULATE to the point it is almost annoying. I thought for sure once they had a kid I would finally see it messy... nope it's still super clean. Supposedly it is because my BILs OCD is increasing and my SIL complains how annoying it is that he is always cleaning and feeling like she lives in a museum. I guess that grass is always greener on the other side... 

Anniversary
  • amelisha said:

@novella1186, my family's dogs have all loved it. As soon as they see the toothbrush come out they're in my mom's lap ready to go. It might just be the meat-flavoured toothpaste or she might just be lucky to have dogs with that kind of personality, but yeah, it's pretty cute.

Our dogs just like to be particularly difficult. I wish they would let us brush their teeth, because beagle is getting old and her teeth have gotten nasty, so we had to pay $300 to have her sedated for a professional teeth-cleaning. The vet has recommended that we do this once a year for her (not happening) and they want us to do it for big dog too before his teeth get bad. Ugh. 
    The professional cleanings are the worst, poor puppy. My first dog had a terrible abscess in his mouth and then had to get regular professional cleanings (that's when the vet first recommended the toothbrushing) and it's expensive and it stressed him out. Have you guys tried the little nubbly rubber things you put over your finger to "brush" like that instead of an actual toothbrush?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    amelisha said:

amelisha said:

The professional cleanings are the worst, poor puppy. My first dog had a terrible abscess in his mouth and then had to get regular professional cleanings (that's when the vet first recommended the toothbrushing) and it's expensive and it stressed him out. Have you guys tried the little nubbly rubber things you put over your finger to "brush" like that instead of an actual toothbrush?
    -----------where did my box go?--------------------------------------

lol yes, she bit my finger THROUGH the rubber thing. And then she strutted away and wouldn't let me catch her. Big dog clenched his mouth shut, like always. 
  • amelisha said:

amelisha said:

lol yes, she bit my finger THROUGH the rubber thing. And then she strutted away and wouldn't let me catch her. Big dog clenched his mouth shut, like always. 

Dogs are not stupid. I've tried to brush his teeth a few times, but he just bites the toothbrush. 
    He absolutely hates his nails clipped. I have to try to sneakily do it when he's sleeping, and then I can only get 1 or 2 if I'm lucky.

• amelisha said:

amelisha said:

Dogs are not stupid. I've tried to brush his teeth a few times, but he just bites the toothbrush. 
    He absolutely hates his nails clipped. I have to try to sneakily do it when he's sleeping, and then I can only get 1 or 2 if I'm lucky.

Oh, man. I've never had a dog who wasn't a total jerk about getting his nails clipped. We usually just gave up and took them to the groomer.

One of my old roommates, though, had a very beautiful and very docile ragamuffin cat who would lay on her back in my arms while her owner clipped her nails. It was pretty unbelievable. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • emmaaa said:

littlepep said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has dog hair tumble weeds, because it's kind of embarrassing when guests come over and those things are around. 

We try to sweep the kitchen at least once a week [which doesn't always happen], but somehow the tumble weeds seem to accumulate there no matter what. 
    Even after we sweep cat hair tumbleweeds go floating by. I feel like they appear out of nowhere.
    They do! And there's so many of them, and so much hair gets sucked into the vacuum, that I'm just like "how are our dogs not bald?!" 
    Confession: I vacuum my dogs sometimes.
    If I tried to do that I would also be cleaning up pee since my dog would be crazy scared.

But I did have a vacuum at one time with a dog grooming attachment.  

My old dog (short haired) used to like getting lint rolled. All of our cats, too (also all short haired). I have no idea how my mom thought of doing this to our pets, but as soon as they'd hear the kitchen drawer open up, they'd come tearing through the house and lay on their backs.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I'm glad I'm not the only one who has dog hair tumble weeds, because it's kind of embarrassing when guests come over and those things are around. 

We try to sweep the kitchen at least once a week [which doesn't always happen], but somehow the tumble weeds seem to accumulate there no matter what. 
    This time of year is the worst and I'm right there with you! My dog weighs 20lbs and is short hair, I did NOT get lucky with the shedding, I sware she should be bald! I got an amazing vacuum for Christmas that I highly recommend to anyone with pets! It's a Hoover BH50010, cordless and has a setting for hardwood that is only the suction. The battery lasts forever and I can suck up the hair balls off the wood floors through the entry, dining room, kitchen in about 5 minutes. SO much easier than sweeping and then they don't float away :)

The thing that gets me is the freaking couch! We try to stop her from rubbing on it but it's impossible. Hair on the floor is one thing but when there is a visible line on the back of the couch  it drives me nuts and happens in about a day after cleaning it! I need a new couch!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • littlepep said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has dog hair tumble weeds, because it's kind of embarrassing when guests come over and those things are around. 

Even after we sweep cat hair tumbleweeds go floating by. I feel like they appear out of nowhere.
    They do! And there's so many of them, and so much hair gets sucked into the vacuum, that I'm just like "how are our dogs not bald?!" 

I am convinced I could create a new cat out of the hair we collect in the vacuum. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've been meaning to get good about brushing my dog's teeth. Oral hygiene prevents a lot of problems, including heart ones, for both dogs and people. It's especially important in little dogs, since there's less tooth there to begin with they rot away quickly, and they live a long time. 

Dog hair tumbleweeds! We vacuum probably every three days and there are currently giant ones under the futon. I don't get it. My dog doesn't even have a double coat, and I brush him regularly to try to cut it down, and don't even get much out of him but BAM there it is in my food!
  • Dog hair tumbleweeds are REAL!

Also, apparently I do a shit job of sweeping up underneath furniture because once I looked up upon hearing the dog kind of gagging/making that "peanut butter is stuck in mah mouth!" sound, and I saw he had somehow gotten a tumbleweed of MY hair (which was long back then) stuck in his mouth when he went to go after a piece of his kibble that had slid under the couch...
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Haha I went back in the thread. 

I've only hovered once- we were at a first time music festival and they didn't get enough port-a-potties the first day and the poo was getting awfully close to the rim. Still wasn't worth it.

Also only ever used a barrier once. H and I went to a friend's wedding, he got trashed, and exorcist-style puked all over the bathroom. I have a bit of a vom phobia and tried to find a different bathroom but this hotel didn't have any, so I lined the seat with toilet paper and am still giving him shit for it two years later. 

Also once H's parents were over and I mentioned that we should probably get a shower curtain liner so it doesn't get moldy. He was just like "oh, no, that's okay, I wash it every couple weeks!"

WUT. People do that???
  • I had a come to Jesus moment at a concert where I had to use a porta potty.  I was squatting in the dirtiest portapotty ever, and I looked to my right where the urinal was practically in my face, and someone had pooped in it.  Why?  Just, why?  Could you not figure out that a urinal is not a place for poop?  I still finished my business.  I don't understand how people wait.  I'll run into the woods and dig a fucking ditch before I hold it for hours. 

@FiancB, I used to wash my curtain liner once a month with a drop of bleach.  Now I only have a shower that I use, so I'm spared the chore of keeping shower curtains clean.  I squeegee the shower after I use it though, because we have hard water and it really helps with water spots and buildup when I clean. 

• amelisha said:

amelisha said:

amelisha said:

I also had no idea that this shoes thing was such a point of contention for you guys. So different!

And I will add that I'm a city-dwelling germophobe so I can shed some light on a few of these points...
    a) I never wear sandals because I can SEE the grime on my feet after I get to where I'm going and having my naked feet exposed feels absolutely disgusting to me as I walk past disgusting sidewalk things;

b) I avoid public transit unless it's -40 out and I forgot my ski pants...and then I stand because the seats smell like pee. And I wash my gloves. When I fly I wipe everything around my seat down with antibac wipes and I don't care how psycho it makes me look because I know several flight attendants and I KNOW how often that stuff gets cleaned;

c) I generally just avoid touching anything at all if I can. I wash my hands a lot if I have to open doors or touch buttons or whatever.

Anxiety doesn't begin to cover it, honestly. But I guess I'm a germaphobe till I die, no shame. At least my house is always company-ready, and FI hasn't murdered me yet (although the next time there's 8AM vacuuming on the weekend, I won't blame him if he tries.)
    This sounds... unhealthy in a super obsessive sort of way.
    Eh. Have a couple drunk guys barf on your shoes on the train on the way to work and get back to me, haha. It's happened.

And I used to get sick (colds/flu) after every single time I flew, and after one day when I watched a woman change a diaper on her tray table I was like "nope," and I've carried the wipes ever since, and stopped getting sick.
    Yeahhhhh, I've definitely been barfed on and have seen some gross shit. It didn't cause me to have an unhealthy obsession with germs and "generallt avoid touching things". If I felt that way, I would see shrink STAT.
    You do you and I'll do me. I know a lot of people who are like me and not into touching doorknobs and elevator buttons if it's avoidable...doesn't mean we're mentally ill. Just fussy. I'm not going to miss my stop and not pull the cord or stand around outside until someone opens a door or anything, it's not interfering with my life, it's just that all other things being equal I prefer to not touch public stair railings or sit on public benches. But thanks for the recommendation, Doc.
    I don't touch doorknobs, if at all possible. Because in multiple tests, public door knobs inevitably test positive for poop. 
    Human poop. 
    I don't consider myself germ paranoid. My kids played on floors and we wear shoes in the house, and I actually ate a jelly bean I found under my bed last week. It was good. Strawberry. 

But I am not going to put my bare hand where I can almost guarantee you that there is poop. Because people are filthy ass scratching nose picking bastards who often don't wash their hands. I'm not afraid of the common cold. 
    But seriously, I am horrified by the idea of poop. These are my hands. I touch my hair, and wipe my eyes, and eat with them.  
    Railings and doorknobs, nope.  
  • edited April 2015

I don't touch doorknobs, if at all possible. Because in multiple tests, public door knobs inevitably test positive for poop. 

Human poop. 
    I don't consider myself germ paranoid. My kids played on floors and we wear shoes in the house, and I actually ate a jelly bean I found under my bed last week. It was good. Strawberry. 

But I am not going to put my bare hand where I can almost guarantee you that there is poop. Because people are filthy ass scratching nose picking bastards who often don't wash their hands. I'm not afraid of the common cold. 
    But seriously, I am horrified by the idea of poop. These are my hands. I touch my hair, and wipe my eyes, and eat with them.  
    Even worse, they might have eaten eggs with those hands! ;)

• I don't touch doorknobs, if at all possible. Because in multiple tests, public door knobs inevitably test positive for poop. 

Human poop. 

Oh, god, you know they did! That's just the sort of thing poop hand people would eat! 
    Probably poached, for extra jiggly. With hootie.
  • Oh, how clean is my house?
    It varies. There are things that I do every Sunday, without fail. Sheets, because I love my bed and I love clean sheets and blankets. And toilet and tub and bathroom and kitchen floor.  Because I hate a nasty bathroom. 
    I pick up and tidy on Sunday, and one room a week gets the extreme clean. Windows, cobwebs, and wood floor mop.
    So nothing ever gets seriously out of control.

The rest of the week, there might be complete chaos, anywhere, at any given time. I usually have a serious paint or sewing or baking or furniture mess in progress. 

The basement is hell.  It contains every box, bag, bin, and piece of furniture that I intend to deal with next week.  The room of requirement is full. 

• amelisha said:

amelisha said:

amelisha said:

I also had no idea that this shoes thing was such a point of contention for you guys. So different!

And I will add that I'm a city-dwelling germophobe so I can shed some light on a few of these points...
    a) I never wear sandals because I can SEE the grime on my feet after I get to where I'm going and having my naked feet exposed feels absolutely disgusting to me as I walk past disgusting sidewalk things;

b) I avoid public transit unless it's -40 out and I forgot my ski pants...and then I stand because the seats smell like pee. And I wash my gloves. When I fly I wipe everything around my seat down with antibac wipes and I don't care how psycho it makes me look because I know several flight attendants and I KNOW how often that stuff gets cleaned;

c) I generally just avoid touching anything at all if I can. I wash my hands a lot if I have to open doors or touch buttons or whatever.

Anxiety doesn't begin to cover it, honestly. But I guess I'm a germaphobe till I die, no shame. At least my house is always company-ready, and FI hasn't murdered me yet (although the next time there's 8AM vacuuming on the weekend, I won't blame him if he tries.)
    Eh. Have a couple drunk guys barf on your shoes on the train on the way to work and get back to me, haha. It's happened.

And I used to get sick (colds/flu) after every single time I flew, and after one day when I watched a woman change a diaper on her tray table I was like "nope," and I've carried the wipes ever since, and stopped getting sick.
    Yeahhhhh, I've definitely been barfed on and have seen some gross shit. It didn't cause me to have an unhealthy obsession with germs and "generallt avoid touching things". If I felt that way, I would see shrink STAT.
    You do you and I'll do me. I know a lot of people who are like me and not into touching doorknobs and elevator buttons if it's avoidable...doesn't mean we're mentally ill. Just fussy. I'm not going to miss my stop and not pull the cord or stand around outside until someone opens a door or anything, it's not interfering with my life, it's just that all other things being equal I prefer to not touch public stair railings or sit on public benches. But thanks for the recommendation, Doc.
    Human poop. 

You probably don't want to touch money either since most of it tests positive for poop and cocaine. And sometimes stripper glitter.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I don't touch doorknobs, if at all possible. Because in multiple tests, public door knobs inevitably test positive for poop. 

Human poop. 

I missed the egg thread! I saw "are they vegetarian," said to myself, "yes, duh. They're just not vegan" and moved on. But apparently there was DRAMA!

Tl;dr, someone? Pretty please?

Human poop. 

I missed the egg thread! I saw "are they vegetarian," said to myself, "yes, duh. They're just not vegan" and moved on. But apparently there was DRAMA!

No drama, Annabelle just really hates eggs.

Human poop. 

No drama, Annabelle just really hates eggs.
    Ha!

More for me then!
  • littlepep said:

littlepep said:

I am convinced I could create a new cat out of the hair we collect in the vacuum. 

I'm just going to leave this here....
    *********************************************************************************

• littlepep said:

littlepep said:

Bahahaha! Whaaaaaaat?! 

• amelisha said:

amelisha said:

amelisha said:

Human poop. 

You probably don't want to touch money either since most of it tests positive for poop and cocaine. And sometimes stripper glitter.
    Nope, don't like touching money. I don't freak out or anything, but I do wash my hands at the first opportunity. I worked in retail years ago, and have seen too many people pull their money out of sweaty brassieres and shoes.  
  • littlepep said:

littlepep said:

I have seen that before in a bookstore! I love that it says you can make them with your cats. I can barely get my cats to look at me when I call their names. They sure as hell won't be crafting with me. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Late to the thread. 

-House is guest-ready level of clean. I try to do the fly lady thing. 4-5 loads of laundry a week, I do the laundry, FH does the dishes. I do my bathroom once a week, but FH's is grooosssss (he's the only one who uses it). Linens washed once a week. Heated floors in bathroom = no bathmats.
    - Shoes come off at home, but it's mostly geography driven (Canada) and cultural (Italian; Nonna's house had guest slippers). I wear cute slippers since I get foot cramps if my feet are cold.
    - Mild-to-medium germaphobia since I work at a hospital and take public transit. I wash my hands frequently to prevent getting sick.
    - Knee high stocking to get a barefoot look with shoes and to avoid nasty foot stank.
    - Barrier method in public bathrooms. I hold my breath and suck it up if it's gross and will wipe a seat clean.
    - No current pets, but knitting sweaters out of your dogs fur is a thing. Ew.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards