Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Photographer Timeline Help

Below is a timeline that I'm working on and before I pitch it to my photographer I was just wondering if I'm expecting too much out of too little time or if I'm just over thinking it and need to stop planning by the 5 min intervals in some cases or if I'm just clearly missing something? 

We have 1 photographer and he's arriving when I do an hour an a half before the ceremony. I tried to color code the timeline to show who the photographer would be with. Pink - Bride, Blue - Groom, Green - Both, and Orange on his own. The guys are arriving dressed and ready and the girls are arriving with hair done to save time. I figured the photographer would just eat while we are eating, if he wants to snap some pics of the food that's great, if not it's not a huge deal.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Photographer Timeline Help

• Options
    Ok so. I think you are over thinking.

I am going to assume this is a professional photographer. He needs to know they timeline of the wedding but I think you have broken it down way more than it needs to be.

I think you can take out all the break down about the formal family pics,wedding party pics, etc. You just need a timeline, they know what they are doing.

If I could make a small suggestion on your timeline. It feels a little broken up. Like there are a lot of starting and stopping and I am not sure what "comedy" is. Could the first dance be done before dinner? Example, you are introduced, walk in to everyone cheering (yeah!), quick welcome speech, then the spot light dances, then sit for dinner. During dinner are the toasts then cake. That kinda groups stuff together more so once the dance floor is open all that is stopped for are the tosses.

Just an idea. When in doubt ask your photographer what he needs, he will tell you.

Good luck!

• Options
    @aliswis000 thank you very much. I was worried I was over-thinking it and this was just the advice I was looking for! It is a professional photographer and I know he wants a timeline and I'm sure you're right and he'll tell me what he needs I just didn't want him to look at my first pass and think "ok she's crazy". I really like your suggestions about moving stuff around to not break the reception up as much. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

@aliswis000 thank you very much. I was worried I was over-thinking it and this was just the advice I was looking for! It is a professional photographer and I know he wants a timeline and I'm sure you're right and he'll tell me what he needs I just didn't want him to look at my first pass and think "ok she's crazy". I really like your suggestions about moving stuff around to not break the reception up as much. 

You are very welcome!

You are not crazy! I have done the same type of thing. We all are so micro-focused on things we forget to step back!

• Options
    When a photographer asks for a timeline, they just want to know when everyone's arriving, where they'll be (getting ready pics), and approximately time everything will be going on.
  • Options
    I agree with PPs and also want to note that usually the photographer will gather all the info from you and create their own timeline as they see fit so I'm confused why he asked you to do this. This is their expertise and something they should be able to do blindfolded since most weddings typically follow the same "routine" per se. My photog gave me a verbal rundown/timeline of my wedding day on the spot at my first meeting when I asked how she would see the day running after I gave her some details... it is KEY for them to be able to know what to do without looking at a color coded minute-by-minute guide from the bride. I would focus more on your photog having all location addresses, the start times for the ceremony, cocktail hour and reception, and a "shot list" of the key family members. I do know that I will be filling out a list of info to provide to my photog closer to the wedding and she will take it from there. Try not to sweat the timing of things too much, it shouldn't be your responsibility on your wedding day :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards