Wedding Invitations & Paper

Save the date. Now or wait?

Hello! 

I am having an internal dilemma on when to send save the dates. I know the typical timeframe is 6-9 months out, but was hoping to get some personal opinions based off our situation. 

My Fiancé and I live in Southern CA, but are getting married in Portland, OR on Feb 20th. This will be a weekend event, Friday-Sunday. Most of our Friends and Family will be traveling to Portland from either; CA, AZ, or WA. Very few will be coming from further away.

We had originally planned on sending out the save the dates at the six month mark, however now I am wondering if we should send them closer to nine months out. 

Thanks in advance!

M+C  //  Feb 20  ♥ PDX

Best Answers

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Answer ✓

Hello! 

I am having an internal dilemma on when to send save the dates. I know the typical timeframe is 6-9 months out, but was hoping to get some personal opinions based off our situation. 

My Fiancé and I live in Southern CA, but are getting married in Portland, OR on Feb 20th. This will be a weekend event, Friday-Sunday. Most of our Friends and Family will be traveling to Portland from either; CA, AZ, or WA. Very few will be coming from further away.

We had originally planned on sending out the save the dates at the six month mark, however now I am wondering if we should send them closer to nine months out. 

Thanks in advance!

It's ok to send them at 9 months, especially if people have to travel.  That said, make sure it's a save the DATE, not a save the WEEKEND.  Any additional things you're hosting other than the ceremony/reception belongs on your wedding website, which you could on the STD.  People can then decide if and what they want to attend.

Re: Save the date. Now or wait?

• Six months should be fine. Is there a specific reason you were wanting to send them nine months out instead? Remember everyone who receives a save the date must receive an invitation so make sure you are positive about that list.
  • Agree with PPs advice.

Also, why is it a weekend affair? Do you mean the ceremony and reception are on different days? Or just that there are additional, optional events you're hosting that guests can choose to attend?

Formerly martha1818

• edited April 2015
    Thank you all for the advice! It is very helpful. We will be sending out invitations following our save the dates.

We want to allow our guests to have enough time to travel/save money if they need too. Especially since it is not too long after the holidays.

The save the dates we designed are specifically for the wedding day only, not for the whole weekend. However, our invitations will have an additional card with he weekend events listed (our wedding site will have more details).

Friday is our welcome dinner, Saturday is our ceremony/reception, and Sunday we are doing donuts and coffee at a popular donut shop.
    M+C  //  Feb 20  ♥ PDX
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards