Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Friend as Photographer?

I haven't asked my friend yet, but she takes amazing photos and has offered to do our Engagement shoot. However, I've heard that it's better for your Engagement Photographer to be your Wedding Photographer because they know you a little better. 

I've also heard that it's no good to have your friends as vendors, which I understand, because they'd be working during your wedding instead of having fun! What do you think? Should I ask her or stick to an outside photographer?

Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Friend as Photographer?

• Don't ask a friend to be your wedding day photographer.  Let her come to your wedding as a guest and enjoy herself.  For your engagement photos, you can pick anyone.  If you want your friend to do the photos, it could be a way for her to expand her portfolio.  My FSIL took our engagement photos since we needed to get our save the dates out.  My photographer was willing to do them at no cost, but it was just easier to work with someone close by.  Compensate her in some way for taking your photos.  If they don't come out well, you can have whatever photographer you choose for the day of your wedding do your photos.
  • Anyone can be your engagement photographer, but for your wedding, don't use someone who's also coming as a guest or wedding party member. Use a good paid professional.
  • Okay, great. Thank you guys! I didn't want to inconvenience her in any way. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Okay, great. Thank you guys! I didn't want to inconvenience her in any way. :)

Good I don't have to list all he reasons this is a bad idea and start paging brides over here to tell you the horror stories of hiring a friend as your photog :)
    You are making the right decision. 
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Has she offered? Usually she'll offer if she's interested.
    I'm a photographer and bride-to-be :-) I've offered to do pics for 2 friends that were married and they both said they didn't want to offend me in asking, so they're glad I asked!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards