Pennsylvania

Online Ordainment

HI Ladies,

Does anyone know is there are any counties in Lehigh Valley that allow a person who was ordained online to officiate a wedding? Has anyone actually done it already?

Thanks!

Re: Online Ordainment

• We are from New Jersey and getting married at the Allentown Brew Works.  We wanted our friend to officiate but you cannot ordain a wedding in PA unless you have a congregation.  I emailed the courthouse and just reveived a scan of a photo copy of the law.  We are getting officially married in Jersey in the morning and then having our friend perform the ceremony in Allentown.

Hope that helps.
  • If you don't mind me asking, which courthouse did you email? I have heard that Bucks county will allow it but some others will not.

Thanks!

• It is my understanding that all of PA does not accept online ordained officiants to conduct the ceremony and file the certificate.  However, you can apply for a self uniting license, and then you do not need a minister/officiant at all, let alone be "legal".  We are doing a self uniting license, but my FI's godbrother is officiating/leading the ceremony.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What is the difference between a self uniting license and a regular license?
  • I called Susquehanna, Bradford, Wyoming, Lycoming, Luzerne, and Adams counties before I finally got an answer. PA does NOT allow anyone other than a minister with a congregation, Justice of the Peace, judge, or  retired judge to perform ceremonies. They're so stuck in the olden days....my only option is a military Chaplain, and I had to get special approval to allow him to perform it. Which is BS because they do have a congregation!
  • What county did you get this in??? I wasn't even told about this option!

It is my understanding that all of PA does not accept online ordained officiants to conduct the ceremony and file the certificate.  However, you can apply for a self uniting license, and then you do not need a minister/officiant at all, let alone be "legal".  We are doing a self uniting license, but my FI's godbrother is officiating/leading the ceremony.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards