Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Flat Gifts

What do you think of putting "Flat Gifts Appreciated" with the wedding invitations?

Re: Flat Gifts

• Options
    huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2015
    What does that even mean? Cards only?

You are not supposed to indicate anything about gifts in your invitations. It's rude because it means you are expecting them. 

You should appreciate anything you get, because no one has to get you anything.

• Options
    How about a pizza stone?

• Options
    So you're asking for money....

Asking for money is against etiquette no matter how you word it.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    "Flat gifts" is the stupidest way yet I've heard of asking for money. Just ew. Why/how does that wording make it any better than just saying "give me money" ? 

I also had visions of Flat Stanley. If I received an invitation that said "flat gifts" that is what they would get. Their very own Flat Stanley. 

ETA:
  • Options
    kaos16 said:

I am having visions of you opening dozens of boxes containing that little cutout man, "Flat Stanley" from elementary school and it sounds ridiculous!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ive never heard of it and think it's very tacky too…it's not on my invites :)
  • Options

Ive never heard of it and think it's very tacky too…it's not on my invites :)

If you have never heard of it, how could you ask about it? Is this a thing people do now?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Is this like saying that you want someone to gift you liposuction?

Or maybe it's a typo and you want FAT gifts? Like pots and pans for cooking.

• Options
    I have never even heard of this. What does flat gift even mean? I would probably be so confused if I saw that on an invitation. 

After googling, I vote no. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would have literally no idea what to give you.

Then I would find some massive and round just to piss you off.
  • Options
    Just in case this isn't MUD:

1.  You NEVER (never ever) mention gifts on a wedding invitation, flat or otherwise.  Period.  That is rude.  There should never be the expectation that you will get gifts and putting it on the invitation is basically saying "I expect gifts." 

2.  Stating flat gifts just adds a whole new level of ridiculous and rude.  If you want money, then just don't register anywhere.  People will get the hint.  There isn't a person on the planet who doesn't know and understand that cash is a good gift and always appreciated.  You don't need to say it (and shouldn't!).

For everyone else - some flat gift ideas for you for the next person you come across who didn't have the good sense to ask first.
    http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/786272/list/gift-guide-50-flat-or-foldable-finds

• Options
    Why? That's so specific and weird . . . I wouldn't put anything.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I never heard of the term "flat gifts".  This is so ridiculous.  I probably would've given you an actual flat gift (when I normally give money at weddings).
  • Options
    Is this like a new way of saying "no boxed gifts"?  It doesn't really matter how you say it.  You still can't say it.

• Options

How flat can a metal chicken get, do you think?

OMG... still laughing. Rotfl.
  • Options

I honestly have never in a million years heard of a "flat gift" request and, honestly, would assume it was for travel purposes. Like, easier to pack in a suitcase to take home or something.

But now that I know what it means, I'd honestly just buy something flat like a pizza stone or something. Because I'm a bitch like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards