Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

How do I NOT waste a Bridal Salon's time?

hey guys!

This is my first question to the community. But I have been searching all over for an answer to this delicate situation, and I can't find it so I am coming to you!

I am more than a year out on my wedding, but I have been working on all the elements and a time-line so when it comes time to do/book X I will be ready to go! One of the things that has been REALLY hard to figure out for me is how to book that first appointment for a wedding gown.

I try to not waste anyone's time, but I am a plus size girl who is finally getting fit and taking a chunk out of my tummy. I know I'll still be pear shaped, but I've never felt "pretty" in a dress. I don't even know what type of dress would look good on me, so I am almost 100% certain I wont find that "dream dress" at MY budget (which is low) on the first appointment. I don't even really want to go into a salon for a dress because I know the prices will be high, but I need to know what types of dresses I look best in and fit my curves./

So how do I go to a Salon, try on dresses, but not take time away from a consultant who might have a better chance of making a sale with someone else. I mean, there is always that chance I find MY dress on the first go, but I am a pretty indecisive, anxious and critical person. I don't want to inconvenience hard working people who need to make sales to get paid, but I still want to explore my options. How do you do this? Do I just have to ignore this feeling of being a time waster and just do right by me? Or is there a way I can signal to my consultant to feel free to take on another bride if their is space and leave me to my own devices?

I wont go trying on dresses till I am ready to buy, and I wont bring a huge group, but what can I do to ensure my gown sales person is also not being "taken for a ride"?

Re: How do I NOT waste a Bridal Salon's time?

• Options
    Here's the thing, you're not going to know what looks good until you try it on, and it is the consultants JOB to help you try on dresses, regardless if you buy or not. It might take you going to 2 or 3 different places, as a lot of stores sell different designer/brands of dresses, so what one store has will differ from the next. You are most certainly not wasting anyone's time. Again, that's why they're there. And you want their full attention, it's not going to do you any good if you shoe a consultant away. They won't do that any how, you booked an appointment and it's their duty to help you and find something you're going to love. They know that you might not find anything at all, regardless of your size and budget.

Usually when making appointments to go look and try on dresses, they will ask you what you're looking for. You can tell them "I'm a size #, I haven't tried anything on yet but am willing to look at different styles, and my budget is $$$". This will help them narrow down things for you. 

And don't sell yourself short! There are so many dresses out there, I'm sure you'll find something that will look amazing! Good luck :)
  • Options
    Try to go on an off time (ie not a Saturday) so you can get more attention. At my first one I said "this is my first time looking I'm pretty indecisive so I will probably have to come back another time to feel good about a decision". I don't think it was necessary for me to say that but I felt better putting my cards on the table like that and setting my expectation that I wasn't going to fall head over heels most likely.

As it turned out my dress was one the consultant showed me that day but it still took me another visit to commit
  • Options
    Stop feeling guilty. A good consultant cares about helping you feel beautiful and wants to give you the attention you need, and you deserve that! It's OK if you go in with good intentions and nothing works out.

• Options
    I agree with everything the PPs said. Do not put more pressure on yourself by thinking you are wasting a consultant's time. This is their job.

A couple of tips: 1. take no more than two people with you. You don't need 10 different opinions. 2. Be open to trying on a style that you may not have thought would look good on you. While an A-line is flattering on almost everyone, a fit and flair dress with ruching could be a good option.
  • Options
    I highly recommend David's Bridal for you.  They have plenty of plus size gowns, and they are budget friendly.  There is always the chance that you will find your dream dress at a reduced price and pounce on it.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Agree with everything other PPs have said. Your best bet is to make an appt. through the week, especially during the day hours if your schedule allows. Last time I went for a fitting on a Thursday at noon. There was one bride in there shopping. ONE. She had the consultants undivided attention and wasn't pressured by a time crunch. 

Also, don't go in thinking that you won't find the one or feeling guilty. There are dresses for every shape, size, style and budget. I'm sure you'll find the one! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with PPs. You are not wasting anyone's time. 

I also suggest a chain like David's Bridal or House of Brides. They're bridal factories and you might feel more comfortable "wasting" (even though you are absolutely NOT!) their time than at a small boutique. Tell them exactly what you've told us - you're losing weight, concerned about X and Y areas and don't know what looks good on you. I did the same thing at my first appointment. I tried on several dresses at that first appointment, each a different shape. I knew I wouldn't like ball gowns, but I tried one on anyway just in case. That helped me narrow down what general shape I preferred and then I knew for the next appointment not to bother with ball gowns or sheaths. 

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    You need to ignore the thought that you're wasting a consultant's time & just book an appointment. Start with a reputable salon in the area and when you get there, explain it's your first time trying on dresses and you are there to get an idea of what silhouettes/styles compliment you most. 

They are consultants, it's their JOB to help you find something that looks good in your budget. Many brides don't purchase dresses at first appointments --- they know this. 
  • Options
    The only 2 ways I can think that you would be wasting a consultants time is the following:
    1. You are not engaged/planning a wedding and just want to try on pretty dresses for fun.
    2. You already have a dress and have no intentions of purchasing another and are just having fun.

You are doing neither of those. You have to try stuff on no matter what size you are. Especially something like a wedding dress. I agree with other posters, develop a good game plan.

Go in the morning on a weekday, avoid weekends like the plague,
    Come with some styles/ideas of what you have worn and liked on yourself in the past BUT be open to trying whatever the consultant brings.
    Be upfront about the areas you want to cover up and those you want to focus on. (These are different for everyone, do not assume the consultant will know.)
    Be upfront about what you want to feel on your wedding day. (I said I wanted to be comfortable and I was very surprised when the consultant says not many brides say that. Go figure.)
    Remember you are beautiful and you can and WILL find a dress that makes you feel like a bride, I promise. Just keep a good attitude and try not to let anything get you down!
  • Options
    I totally recommend David's Bridal, also.  I went there to just see what styles looked good on me and walked out with the first dress I tried on.  I made a favorites list on their site but I didn't even see half of those dresses.  Fortuantely, the consultant picked what she thought would look best on me from my list and she knew what she was doing.  All the dresses I tried on really complimented my pear shape.  Don't be hard on yourself! You will find a dress that you feel comfortable in.  I would recommend bringing only a couple of people with you and whoever you feel most comfortable around.  I actually brought my mom and dad and it was perfect!  But let the consultant do their thing and pick the dresses for you.  I put a lot of trust into my consultant and have no regrets.
  • Options

I figured out my budget and went into the store without any idea of what type of dress I wanted. Well I knew I didn't want a halter style, with my girls, any type of halter top ends up hurting. Anyways, I went into the store told them I was open to different styles & this was my budget. Before trying on any dress, I checked the price tag. If it was over my budget, I told them, thank you but I'll pass because it was over my budget. Now if it was $10-20 over, I still tried it one. But basically I didn't want to try a dress on that I knew I couldn't afford. I told the consultant the time of year, type of venue and the feel I was going for and trusted her judgement as an experienced consultant to bring me things that fit that & my budget. I went to two shops, and both women were amazing. The dress I ended up with, I passed on when my mother & sister showed it to me in the bag, I thought it was ugly, but the consultant was, like try it, it's one that looks better one. And she was right, it was a dress that wore better then it looked on the hanger.

• Options
    kvruns said:

Try to go on an off time (ie not a Saturday) so you can get more attention. At my first one I said "this is my first time looking I'm pretty indecisive so I will probably have to come back another time to feel good about a decision". I don't think it was necessary for me to say that but I felt better putting my cards on the table like that and setting my expectation that I wasn't going to fall head over heels most likely.

As it turned out my dress was one the consultant showed me that day but it still took me another visit to commit

A few people have said go on an "off" day. To be honest it's not going to matter what day of the week you go, I've been shops on Saturdays and Sundays, and there were very few people to no there. My MOH went to pick up her dress at 2PM on a Tuesday and said the place was packed.

Just make a couple appointments for a time that works for you, and try some things on! You don't have to buy right away. Take your time, and have support with you. Someone said take 2 people, that's a good number. You're going to find something; it might happen with the first dress, and it might happen 3 stores later with the 20th dress! But you'll find something you love!
  • Options

You aren't wasting their time. Lots of people go into the stores with no intent to buy... some end up buying that day and some don't. You need to figure out what you like and trying on dresses is what will help with that.

Go in and be confident about it. You're not wasting their time. Helping you is their job.

• Options
    here are budget gown designers please look for salons in your area that carry these dresses they range from 500-2000 with most being in the  500-1200 range and these deisgners all have plus lines 

mori lee- julietta is her plus line sizes 14-32  my mori lee dress with an extra lace strap a bolero for church alterations and veil was 1400 
    bonny unforgettable 
    venus- women 
    Allure- women
    jasmine- jasmine goes up  to a size 32 but she does not have a line specifically for plus sizes 
    calista is a plus size only designer 

look at styles see what you like ask them to pull a few of those types ex fit and flare then ask them to pull some stuff that they think will look good on you give them your max budget 

i went shopping found two dresses i told the sales lady it was a huge decision and i needed to sleep on it. i was so obsessed with bonny that i had to try on the dresses the salon that was supposed to get them on loan for me only was able to get one in and i didn't want to make an appointment with the salon when it was the only dress in the whole store i could fit into. so i went and tried on allures elsewhere and nothing was working out the sales lady wanted a sale she kept saying oh it looks good on you even thought it didn't she finally told me only one dress was bad for me. then she said well what  is your dream dress or what do you like and i said i want a dress in taffeta with pick ups alecon  lace one shoulder strap in ivory they didn't have that because that dress was one of the two i was undecided about i  left and went back to the other salon and tried on the dress again and i knew it was my dress 
  • Options
    Thank you guys so much! All of this encouragement has helped a great deal. I just confirmed my location so I can finally start moving forward on things like the dress and food and such, it makes me feel better to know other brides have gone through similar and been okay with making multiple appointments! I am gonna be brave!
  • Options
    Make sure you call ahead and make sure they have plus sizes. Don't let them hold up a size 4 in front of you and say it's basically like trying it on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    augsum15 said:

kvruns said:

A few people have said go on an "off" day. To be honest it's not going to matter what day of the week you go, I've been shops on Saturdays and Sundays, and there were very few people to no there. My MOH went to pick up her dress at 2PM on a Tuesday and said the place was packed.

Just make a couple appointments for a time that works for you, and try some things on! You don't have to buy right away. Take your time, and have support with you. Someone said take 2 people, that's a good number. You're going to find something; it might happen with the first dress, and it might happen 3 stores later with the 20th dress! But you'll find something you love!

I went on a Friday at 11am and it was me and 1 other bride. The other time I went was Sunday and one shop was a bit busy, though nothing like a Saturday, and the other place was nearly empty (2-3 other brides)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards