Chit Chat

NWR: sister in need of help, but how do I help her?

So. My youngest step-sister has a child whose going on 2. My step sister is 21. Over the last month she and her boyfriend (baby daddy who she lives with) have gone through a very public on facebook break up. He was cheating on her, not doing a very good job of covering it up, etc. She broke up with him two weeks ago, reconciled and broke up with him again this past weekend. They live in a shitty roach infested house in FL. They moved down to be near his family when she was pregnant (and because they didn't pay rent on their apartment in PA). She has no degree, and is working as a hostess at a chain restaurant. She's constantly posting asking if someone can watch the baby for a few hours while she works. Her parents and my Mom and step-dad have all told her she can come home and they'll help, but she doesn't want to leave FL take the kid away from her ex. Which is admirable, but 5 minutes after posting how she wasn't going to bad mouth him, she posts one of those damn caption pictures "Why lie to me and lose my respect when you could have told me the truth" pictures. Girl that's bad mouthing him. And given all the at the beach party posters his new squeeze as posted (This is basically like a Maury episode) I fear that he's not going to be around much, and certainly more as a babysitter then a real parent. 

We are not close, but is there anything I can do to help, or does she just need to land on her ass (even harder) before she wises up?

Anniversary

Re: NWR: sister in need of help, but how do I help her?

• She won't move home until she wants to or is ready to so I think I would just check in frequently, maybe send some gift cards for her to use on dinners, stuff for the baby, etc and just let her know that you are there for her and her child.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Unfortunately, you cannot control the actions of others. If she doesn't want help, you can't force it on her, and you certainly can't make her move. Letting her know yall are there if/when she decides to ask for help is pretty much all you can do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Did she ask you for help? 
  • It really sounds like something she just needs to figure out on her own. If her parents and your mom/step-dad have gone so far as to offer up their places and she's turned it down, she sounds kind of beyond receptive to help right now.

I'd just tell her you're really sorry she's going through such a hard time, she has your support and you're available if she wants to talk.
    *********************************************************************************

• She needs to land on her ass first before she will probably accept or concede to any real help.

• I think all you can really do is be there for her as a sister/friend. Check in just to say hi and see how she's doing. Not in a nosy/invasive/judgy way. Just "Hey I miss you! How are you?" 

That way you're letting her know she has some support from you, and if she decides she wants or needs your help she may feel like you're there for her and she can come to you and let you know she needs help. 

Other than that, I don't think you should get involved. It's tough to sit back and watch someone you care about hurt, but adults have to figure shit out for themselves. She may resent you if you try to step into her mess because you don't think she's doing things right, ya know? 
  • Did she ask you for help? 

No. She has not asked me for help. 

I will probably send a message to her over the next few days, letting her know if she needs to talk or even just someone to distract the kid on skype for a bit that I'm here. 

It's hard watching someone keep making their life harder for themselves.

Anniversary
  • I wouldn't do anything, other than offer an ear to listen if she comes to you to talk or for advice.  Otherwise there isn't anything you can do. It sounds like she already has the offers for help from family members and she is unwilling to take it at this time so I don't think there is anything you could offer either.  I'd stay away from getting involved
  • chibiyui said:

Did she ask you for help? 
    No. She has not asked me for help. 

I will probably send a message to her over the next few days, letting her know if she needs to talk or even just someone to distract the kid on skype for a bit that I'm here. 

It's hard watching someone keep making their life harder for themselves.

This is very true. And I get. I really do. I've been there with my sister. I've learn though that the more you push someone to do something, you end up pushing them away from you. Being supportive is the best course of action. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • She may not be ABLE to "move home" with the child at this point.  The child was born in Florida and has lived there for 2 years.  Without her ex's consent, she'd have to go to court to get a judge to allow her to move out of state.  In most states, it's a lengthy, expensive process requiring a full trial.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards