Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Ring Warming

Hello! I love the idea of having a ring warming during our ceremony. It is really important to my groom and myself to have all of our guests involved in ceremony in some way. I am worried about the logistics and timing and was wondering if anyone has attended a wedding with a ring warming and how it worked. We are having about 150 guests so waiting for the rings to pass through 150 people is not really an option but I also don't want it to take away from other pieces of the ceremony because our guests are distracted. My two thoughts are that one ring could be passed along one side and one ring down the other but I don't love the idea of separating them or that we could ask guests to stop and warm the rings on their way to their seats at the start of the ceremony. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks! 

Re: Ring Warming

• Options

Hello! I love the idea of having a ring warming during our ceremony. It is really important to my groom and myself to have all of our guests involved in ceremony in some way. I am worried about the logistics and timing and was wondering if anyone has attended a wedding with a ring warming and how it worked. We are having about 150 guests so waiting for the rings to pass through 150 people is not really an option but I also don't want it to take away from other pieces of the ceremony because our guests are distracted. My two thoughts are that one ring could be passed along one side and one ring down the other but I don't love the idea of separating them or that we could ask guests to stop and warm the rings on their way to their seats at the start of the ceremony. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks! 

My cousin and her wife did a ring warming at their wedding. . . . cut to dear, dear FIL dropping them both on the floor where they immediately rolled in different directions and SIL in her gorgeous bridesmaid dress crawling around between pews trying to find them.  It was a mess!  
  • Options
    I think ring warming is a nice tradition for really small ceremonies with just a few guests.

We went to a wedding that had about 100 guests and did a ring warming. It was painfully long and really awkward because no one knew what to do. Some people just passed it right along and some people sat with it for a minute and prayed. It took forever. 

I would choose something else. What if you did one of those things where people sign the matte of a framed picture of you two? That would involve people in a much more personal way and people could sign it at their leisure before/after the ceremony or at the reception.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    They already are involved.  They are there celebrating with you and witnessing you committing your life to another human being.  That's pretty involved.

I think this would be unwieldy with that many guests.  I would either skip it altogether or limit it to VIPs who presumably would be in your wedding party and immediate family sitting in the first row or two.
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We did a ring warming at our wedding & I'm so glad we did! 

We chose to have guests warm the rings (if they wanted to participate) as they entered the ceremony space. A table was set up with photos of our parents & grandparents on their wedding days along with a sign that read, "Before you take your seat, please take a moment to participate in the warming of Elca_B & Elca_B's H's wedding rings. Take the rings in your hand and silently warm them with a prayer, blessing, or wish for Elca_B & Elca_B's H, one that will carry them to a bright and lasting marriage."

We had the rings sitting in a beautiful ring dish & hired help to guard them. Just before the ceremony began, they were cleaned and given to BM/MOH and it worked out perfectly. 
  • Options
    I am in the same boat as you are! My fiance and I also loved the idea of a ring warming during our ceremony but are also having 150 people that will be attending which makes passing the ring around to all our guests very tricky. We decided to have our bridal party and parents actual warm them. While they are passing the rings to each other, we have asked the officiant to explain what a ring warming is and encourage everyone to think good thoughts for us so that we don't have to wait for the rings to go through everyone in attendance and possibly get dropped/misplaced/separated/etc. but everyone still gets to participate and send us good vibes.

If you would rather give everyone the opportunity to hold them, I like the idea of a dish with your rings tied to it at the entrance to your ceremony site. (That was our second choice but I liked the idea of the guests not knowing it was going to happen until it actually does. I like the idea of surprises lol.)

Either way, it's a beautiful tradition and I'm sure it'll be memorable for you and your guests!!

:)

• Options
    My sister did this with only the 4 parents warming the rings.  The rings were in a mesh baggie because the wedding was supposed to be on a beach and I (as the officiant) did NOT want to lose the rings in the sand. The parents passed them down the row as I explained what was happening and said a few words, then we continued on to the exchange.
  • Options
    esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    I think this would be nice if you didn't have so many guests, but then I also get pretty skeeved out thinking about that many people touching the rings with their potentially gross hands. Do you know how many people don't wash their hands after using the bathroom? Or "wash" them without soap? A lot, that's how many. 
  • Options
    esstee33 said:

I think this would be nice if you didn't have so many guests, but then I also get pretty skeeved out thinking about that many people touching the rings with their potentially gross hands. Do you know how many people don't wash their hands after using the bathroom? Or "wash" them without soap? A lot, that's how many. 

Yes.  For sanitary reasons I wouldn't be happy participating in a ring warming.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards