Chit Chat
Options

Birthday Brag on my BFFs (Warning - possible pet TMI)

I had a craptacular (literally) start to my birthday with an amazing end. FYI, probably animal-related-TMI below.

I mentioned a few days ago that DF and I adopted a precious pup from the Humane Society. Well she started having horrible diarrhea and vomiting (hence, literally craptacular) Monday evening. Between 11pm and 4am, she barely went 2 hours without puking, pooping basically liquid, or both. DF and I stayed up with her all night and ended up taking her to the vet ER around 4am. They admitted her and put her on IV fluids and meds and scheduled a bunch of tests. 

I completely lost it when they took her back. Just like sobbing in the lobby of the animal hospital. We got a call in the afternoon and the vet threw out the words "emergency surgery" and I completely lost it again. They were talking possible bowel obstruction or perforation. The whole day was an emotional rollercoaster. 

Luckily, they did more tests and found a pretty easy fix - turns out she has hookworms. We just have to give her some meds in her food and she'll be totally fine! It makes a ton of sense - hookworms have a 2-3 week incubation period, so she probably caught them while she was in the shelter but didn't start to have symptoms for a couple of weeks. They're keeping her until at least tonight (maybe tomorrow night) to get more fluids and medicine in her because she's still severely dehydrated, but at least we know she's going to be fine.

Needless to say, it was not the birthday I expected. I was running on less than 4 hours of sleep (moms - I literally don't know how you do it. mad props.), we cancelled our dinner reservations at my favorite steakhouse to go to the animal hospital's evening visiting hours and spend time with the pup, and the entire night before/morning consisted of cleaning up puke and poop approximately every 2 hours all night.

Luckily, I have the best friends in the entire world. They refused to let my birthday suck. One who lives 4 hours away called our favorite local pizza place and made a delivery order for my two favorite pizzas for dinner (and colluded with DF to pick a time that we'd be home). Another friend Amazon Prime'd me a gallon of the best organic pet waste cleaner she could find. Three friends showed up at my house with cupcakes, ice cream, wine for me and beer for DF, and treats for pup. Another friend and her mom who live out of town mailed pup a box of pet toys. Also, my assistant at work bought me a beautiful flower arrangement. She had even been fishing for my favorite types of flowers earlier this week and I didn't even realize it (I thought she was making small talk about the wedding).

After the girls left last night, I literally cried at how touched I was that they would all do so much for me. I legitimately have the best friends in the entire world.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Birthday Brag on my BFFs (Warning - possible pet TMI)

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Wow, you have great friends :)  Wishing you a belated happy birthday.
    Sorry about your pup. Hope those scary moments are few and far between, but the little darlings are worth it.

• Options
    Wow that is great! It truely is a great feelings to have amazing loved ones!

Anniversary
  • Options
    That's so awesome! Sounds like you have amazing friends! Glad your pup is going to be ok. The vet ER is so scary.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yayyy, and happy belated! My BFF had the worst time with her puppy and hookworms, so sending good vibes for a speedy recovery! :)
  • Options
    That's amazing! Wow, you have some really sweet and awesome friends! I'm glad to hear that your pup will be okay, and no surgery is needed. And Happy Belated Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    You have some thoughtful friends! Happy birthday!

• Options
    Haha I totally laughed when I saw the part about Amazon Prime-ing you some pet waste cleaner. Now that's a friend.
  • Options
    allispain said:

Haha I totally laughed when I saw the part about Amazon Prime-ing you some pet waste cleaner. Now that's a friend.

Right? So thoughtful! God knows we need it... lol

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards