Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Favorite Moment/Vow?

We're starting to figure out our ceremony script with our officiant and it's my favorite part of planning so far. I try not to get weepy about it but every once and a while we come across vows/readings that are so perfect I just :,,,,) I'm lame! Whatever.

It made me want to ask here - if you're already married, what was your favorite moment/vow/reading of your ceremony? Or if you're writing it now, what do you think will be your favorite?

Re: Favorite Moment/Vow?

• I put H's wedding band on "upside down" twice.

Also our keyboardist accidentally hit a key during H's melodramatic vows. It cracked us all up.

Anniversary
  • My favorite moment of my wedding was actually before the wedding during our pre-ceremony cocktail hour: then-FI and I were just talking and drinking some champagne and then he just looks me at, and I guess the emotions just hit him because he just started crying. I hugged him and told him how much I loved him. It was a really great moment, and later on my mom said that that was her favorite moment too, and that it showed how perfect me and DH are for each other.
  • My favorite moment was when I messed up the vows.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • After "the kiss," my H grabbed my face and brought me in for another one.

You can write the most beautiful ceremony ever, but the unscripted parts hold the best memories!

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Our ceremony was outdoors in front of this beautiful stone wall & arch. There was a random bell on the side of the wall, and when my husband & I kissed, my brother jumped up and rang the shit outta that bell while everyone was cheering. It was so fun!
  • My BIL, who was best man, had the rings in a pouch, but never pulled them out. When my H turned to him for my ring, it took him a really long time to get it out. We were all cracking up. Then when he want to hand me my H's ring, he had it all ready to go. 

I also messed up on my vows. I started saying them, forgot the words and had to ask our officiant to repeat them. 
  • I love that most of these are mistakes or spontaneous moments. I'm sure I'll feel similarly once it happens but right now I'm just really obsessed with putting it all together. It's the only thing I can DIY at my wedding that won't look like a sad kindergarten project.

• ElcaB said:

Our ceremony was outdoors in front of this beautiful stone wall & arch. There was a random bell on the side of the wall, and when my husband & I kissed, my brother jumped up and rang the shit outta that bell while everyone was cheering. It was so fun!

This seriously sounds like something out of a movie. So awesome!
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

ElcaB said:

This seriously sounds like something out of a movie. So awesome!
    It was! 
  • Our officiant wrote something into the script that makes me cry every time I read it.  Right on cue, I hysterically cried when she said it at the ceremony.  I don't know why I find it so emotional because it's nothing crazy, but it was "Many years from now may you find that when you are together, you are home."
  • edited April 2015
    OK since I know you're asking for actual scripted moments... this was my favorite part.

(Lolo), (FI) is a gift to you from God, but he is not a gift for you alone.  It is God’s will that in your love, this man might find within himself a greater sense of who he is meant to be.  You are asked to see the good in this man, to accept him for who he is and who he shall be.  In this way, God’s purpose shall be accomplished in this relationship.  May this man find the kingdom of heaven through the love you share.

And so it is with you also (FI), that although (Lolo) is God’s gift to you, she is not a gift intended for you alone. You are asked by God to so love this woman, that in your love she might find herself as God has created her, so beautiful and strong and brave and true, that the entire world might be blessed by the presence of a woman who shines so. May she relax in your arms as she has never relaxed before.  May she know, from now on, that there is one on whose love she can depend on forever.

I really loved our reading too; it fits us really well. We used "To Love is Not to Possess," by James Kavanaugh. H's godmother read it, and she made us a beautiful framed print of it as a Christmas gift, with the piece of lace from our invitation made into a little rosette inside.

• I really liked Fi's sentiments that he read just before we said our vows:

He said some stuff about how our individual journey's brought us to each other, and how when he first met me and asked what I wanted in life I answered "to make memories", etc etc and then:

"But this memory is different. It's not a part of my story or of yours. Today, this memory, for the first time, it is a part of our story."

I just love that line.

• Our vows were pieced together from examples that our pastor emailed to us, but we did write a bit at the end that I love: "you are not perfect, but you are perfect to me, and I promise to never choose to leave you".
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Our officiant wrote something into the script that makes me cry every time I read it.  Right on cue, I hysterically cried when she said it at the ceremony.  I don't know why I find it so emotional because it's nothing crazy, but it was "Many years from now may you find that when you are together, you are home."

Stolen.  Thank you.

I keep stealing things like this from the interwebs and from these threads and from books I read, etc.  Not sure if this will end up in the final script, but it's in there now.  So thanks.
  • When my H said his vows,,,he started to cry, and tightened his grip on my hand.  Whenever I think back to that day it is his face that first comes to mind, and the love that I felt.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards