Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Working Menu

Morning, ladies!

We met with our caterer last night and began figuring out our menu, yay! Any thoughts? (January wedding, theater venue, aiming for "classy but whimsical/fun" plated dinner)

STATIONARY APPS:
charcuterie boards w/ bread, cheese, fruit, veggies, dips, hummus, etc.

PASSED APPS:
crispy chicken on homemade waffle bites w/ rum-syrup drizzle
macaroni & cheese bites in prosciutto cups
tomato soup shooters w/ heart-shaped mini grilled cheese
(still debating one or two others, something "normal" like stuffed mushrooms?)

SOUP:
zuppa toscana using my mom's recipe - my favorite!

ENTREES:
beef - angus burger w/ gruyere, bacon, crispy onion straws & onion jam
lamb - indian lamb burger w/ paneer, jalapeno-mango chutney, cilantro-line mayo & pistachios
fish - crab cake burger w/ fruit salsa, red-pepper mayo & crispy onion straws
(vegetarian & GF options also available)

SIDES:
the caterer's very yummy take on fries, served with truffle ketchup
kale slaw-type salad, served cold
sweet potato salad w/ chickpeas and sweet coconut curry, served room-temp
maple-bacon brussel-sprouts, served warm

DESSERT:
wedding cake, flavor tbd
cannoli w/ sweet ricotta filling
chocolate-chip & mint-chocolate cookies served warm and gooey on a shot of cold milk
tea bar / coffee bar / hot chocolate bar

LATE-NIGHT:
nacho bar!

Re: Working Menu

•  I would eat the shit out of everything. But I have no dietary restrictions and I will eat almost anything.

For the apps, I would add a vegan/GF passed app if you have any guests that fit that category. Mainly because the fruit/veggie station is great, but that's all they could eat from what you listed.

For entrees, I would ditch either the lamb burger or the crab cake burger in favor of a fried chicken sandwich. It pains me to say that because of the 3 options, those two sound the best (to me)... However, beef and chicken are crowd pleasers. And a crowd pleasing menu is important for a wedding.

For sides, no changes. Delicious!

For dessert, YUM to everything. But again, any vegan or GF people? If so, you may want to exchange one of the options for something fitting. If not, love it all.

Yay for late night snacks! Especially nachos. Yum!
    *********************************************************************************

• Can I come to your wedding?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I want it all!  This sounds delicious.

I ditto the PP that I might add a more simple entree.  While I think those all sound amazing, a more classic burger (or build your own) or chicken sandwich might be a good option as well!
  • louxnoellelouxnoelle member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    Just emailed the caterer to ask about possibly adding on a chicken option (rather than sacrificing either the lamb or crab because they're UNREALYOUGUYSHOLYSHIT), and to ask for his suggestions to make the two tbd apps vegetarian and/or GF.

We have three vegetarians on the guest list so we texted them; one of whom wants the crab option and the other two have opted for a blackbean/veggie burger, which caterer is happy to provide. He's also offered to bake GF buns and make other accommodations for our maybe half-dozen GF guests (i.e. GF grilled cheese on the tomato soup, which will be delivered directly to them). The man is my wedding superhero … y'know … besides FI. :)

The bakery we're ordering dessert from will include some GF cookies as well. 

Thanks for the feedback!

ETF: clarity
  • How do I get invited to this shindig?!
  • This food looks incredible.
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    I would eat everything until I could barely move. OMG. 
  • The only negative I can see to this menu is that if your guests are like me, they will eat so much of the delicious food that they will all be in a food coma :-)
  • The only downside that I can see by looking at your menu is that I'm not invited.

Seriously, this must be rectified.

• Listen, if I wasn't so scared of the wrath of B-listing, you guys would be on the list as soon as I got some "no's," haha.
  • Listen, if I wasn't so scared of the wrath of B-listing, you guys would be on the list as soon as I got some "no's," haha.

I will gladly accept a B list invite. You don't even have to invite my H. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I would also take a B-list invite in this case!
    *********************************************************************************

• Either I need to get married again and use your exact menu or I just need to be invited to your wedding. Everything sounds absolutely delicious!
  • No, but you guys.
    Like.
    One of the dips is this crab-rangoon type thing that you eat with fried wontons.
    I just ...

I shouldn't be this excited about food.
    I'm so friggin' excited about this food.
  • No, but you guys.

Like.
    One of the dips is this crab-rangoon type thing that you eat with fried wontons.
    I just ...

I shouldn't be this excited about food.
    I'm so friggin' excited about this food.

Omg STAHP
  • Seriously. We'll take the b-list. Or you could mail us the leftovers?
  • Still drooling over your menu... Tempted to copy and paste the entire thing and send to my caterer... 
  • AlisonM23 said:

Still drooling over your menu... Tempted to copy and paste the entire thing and send to my caterer... 

Girlll, do it. Ohio's far enough away. I'm not threatened. ;) 
  • Can you offer the entrees as sliders? Cuz I couldn't pick between them?

That menu is amazeballs.
  • I have nothing to say about your menu, other than that you're making me hungry. I want to go to your wedding.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks, guys!

Question: With this being the menu, would you want to know ahead of time that they were burgers, or would it be a fun surprise if you were expecting more traditional wedding food?
  • Thanks, guys!

Question: With this being the menu, would you want to know ahead of time that they were burgers, or would it be a fun surprise if you were expecting more traditional wedding food?

I like being surprised by the food offerings at weddings. I don't think it's necessary to let people know unless they have to choose their entree ahead of time (in which case, if your beef option was a burger, I would want to know ahead of time because I love burgers). 

As long as you're doing what you can to accommodate any food restrictions (having a vegetarian option, having a gluten free option if you have guests with celiac disease, etc.), then I don't see the need to tell people what type of entrees you're offering.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • As they're technically all burgers, we've been toying with the option of listing "beef, chicken, lamb, fish" (or maybe "seafood") on the cards so people would still be able to choose their preference - probably still including a little description but omitting that they're essentially burgers & fries.

I go back and forth between thinking that would be really fun, or somehow potentially off-putting to people? I don't know. Bride-brain makes me overthink.
  • As they're technically all burgers, we've been toying with the option of listing "beef, chicken, lamb, fish" (or maybe "seafood") on the cards so people would still be able to choose their preference - probably still including a little description but omitting that they're essentially burgers & fries.

I go back and forth between thinking that would be really fun, or somehow potentially off-putting to people? I don't know. Bride-brain makes me overthink.

how is the entree served?   Is it a station?   Table side order?  Family style?  They get all 3 on the plate?   They need to pick ahead of time?

Here are my answers on each:

Station?   No need.  They can pick.

Table side?  They pick at the reception

Family style?  They get to pick and choose what they want off the plate on the table.

All 3-4 are given to all of them?  It doesn't matter.  Although I would have the server say something like the entree has seafood.  If you have an allergy to seafood please let us know now and we will give  you another option.

The  caterer needs to know who wants what?  Ask on the RSVP 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:

As they're technically all burgers, we've been toying with the option of listing "beef, chicken, lamb, fish" (or maybe "seafood") on the cards so people would still be able to choose their preference - probably still including a little description but omitting that they're essentially burgers & fries.

how is the entree served?   Is it a station?   Table side order?  Family style?  They get all 3 on the plate?   They need to pick ahead of time?

Here are my answers on each:

Station?   No need.  They can pick.

Table side?  They pick at the reception

Family style?  They get to pick and choose what they want off the plate on the table.

All 3-4 are given to all of them?  It doesn't matter.  Although I would have the server say something like the entree has seafood.  If you have an allergy to seafood please let us know now and we will give  you another option.

The  caterer needs to know who wants what?  Ask on the RSVP 

It's plated, so they'll choose ahead of time. The protein choices will be on the RSVP, just can't decide if I should explicitly say they're burgers.
  • Oh holy christ.  I would take a B-list, without my FI, probably with no chair to be able to eat all of the things at your wedding.  With a spandex dress on.

Agree with PPs on the veg/vegan/GF options - the only thing that jumped out at me was lack of a vegetable in your apps list.  Seems like you've got it all covered though.  I don't think you need to explicitly state that the entrees are burgers on the RSVPs.  It's a fun little detail to keep a surprise.

I need to look away now before I go and eat everything in my fridge.

• then I would say burgers on the RSVP with description.

I like lamb burgers.      Jalapeño  and pistachio make me sick. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards