Offbeat Weddings

has anyone done a private invite only dinner, followed by a cocktail reception everyone can attend

My fiance and I are both wanting a small intimate wedding with only the people who are family and been with us throughout our relationship. We also don't want to spend $20, 000.00 on  just a day. We've thought of possibly doing a ceremony where everyone was invited to and then a dinner with just immediate family only followed by a cocktail reception that everyone would be invited to. I realized after that most likely people who aren't invited to the dinner most likely wouldn't come to the ceremony which is the most important part to me... so the 30 people we had on our list turned into 67. Has anyone ever done or been to a wedding like this? I really don't want to pay for a dinner for people who i may only see once a year and rarely talk to, and honestly I prefer his extended family over mine as mean as that sounds but I talk to them and see them way more! would it be weird doing a dinner with my immediate family and his entire family ? I just don't want to look back and be like i wish this person was there or i wish i didn't have those people there.... if anyone has any idea I'd love to hear them!

Re: has anyone done a private invite only dinner, followed by a cocktail reception everyone can attend

• My fiance and I are both wanting a small intimate wedding with only the people who are family and been with us throughout our relationship. We also don't want to spend $20, 000.00 on  just a day. We've thought of possibly doing a ceremony where everyone was invited to and then a dinner with just immediate family only followed by a cocktail reception that everyone would be invited to. I realized after that most likely people who aren't invited to the dinner most likely wouldn't come to the ceremony which is the most important part to me... so the 30 people we had on our list turned into 67. Has anyone ever done or been to a wedding like this? I really don't want to pay for a dinner for people who i may only see once a year and rarely talk to, and honestly I prefer his extended family over mine as mean as that sounds but I talk to them and see them way more! would it be weird doing a dinner with my immediate family and his entire family ? I just don't want to look back and be like i wish this person was there or i wish i didn't have those people there.... if anyone has any idea I'd love to hear them!
    This is extremely inappropriate. For one, what are the loser/reject guests (because that's what they will feel like) supposed to do while the other half of the guests get to eat dinner? For another, you don't have to have a dinner reception at all if you don't have your wedding at or around a mealtime if you're looking to save money. Have the wedding at 2pm and then the reception can be cake and punch. Or just stick with the small wedding you originally planned for. If someone is not important enough to you to be invited to the entire event, you should not invite them at all rather than offer a crappy consolation prize.
    My question wasn't was this appropriate or not. I don't really understand how anyone could possibly be offended if they were invited to a cocktail reception. if they want to come to the ceremony their more then welcome to attend but if I have to foot the bill for people its going to be the people who are closest to me.  Your response is incredibly ignorant there's a million ways to do a wedding and just because my wedding idea doesn't fit your cookie cutter lifestyle doesn't mean it wouldn't be any less good or memorable. Maybe you feel spending $20,000.00 on a wedding is well worth it but I don't and if people who invite have your attitude they don't need to come. 
  • Lots of people have weddings that aren't the traditional evening dinner/dancing reception. You don't need to spend $20K to have an awesome wedding and still treat your guests right.

The easiest way to do this is to have the wedding/reception at a non-meal time so that you don't need to serve a meal. For example, have a 2pm wedding with 2:30-5pm cocktail/light app reception. That way, you've saved money by not serving a meal, you don't have a gap, and you're hosting all your guests. For 70 guests, you could host a really nice event like this for about $500 depending on location, what you serve, etc.

The two things I would keep in mind for your situation are that: 1) anyone invited to the ceremony must be invited to the reception; and 2) tiered receptions (where only SOME guests are invited to another - usually 'better' - reception) are against etiquette and cause hurt feelings. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Thanks for the "suggestions.." if we do a cocktail reception which we invite everyone to that is thanking them... Anyways we'll continue to plan our wedding how we see fit. Lucky we have more understanding friends and family. 

• Thanks for the "suggestions.." if we do a cocktail reception which we invite everyone to that is thanking them... Anyways we'll continue to plan our wedding how we see fit. Lucky we have more understanding friends and family. 

Thanks for the "suggestions.." if we do a cocktail reception which we invite everyone to that is thanking them... Anyways we'll continue to plan our wedding how we see fit. Lucky we have more understanding friends and family. 
    Yeah, you aren't going to have many friends left if you do this. But thank you for "asking for advice". Don't bite off more than you can chew, sweetie. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• As others have said, I don't see why you can't have the ceremony, cocktail party and then afterwards go out to dinner with your closest friends and family. Logistically, your guests will have to find something to do between the ceremony and the cocktail party if they aren't invited to dinner. Even if you don't think that is rude, it would be soooo boring for those guests to sit around waiting for people to finish dinner. I know you said you don't think people will come to the ceremony if they aren't invited to the dinner, but how are they to know they aren't invited to the dinner? They will just show up at the ceremony and be surprised there is a 2 hour gap between that and the cocktail reception.
    You really shouldn't call your BF your FI since you are not engaged. 
  • I gotta say, I've been to all sorts of weddings that are against wedding etiquette, cash bar weddings, weddings where I thought I was going to their wedding but it was just a reception where they played their wedding video, weddings where they ask for honeyfund checks only as gifts and none of these bothered me. But I would be really hurt if I was asked to take time out of my schedule to go to a ceremony, then have to wait 2 hours while SOME of the guests got dinner until I am allowed to have a couple of cocktails.
  • Isn't this a heated thread? I might be tardy to this party, but I can definitely sympathize with the original post. My fiancé's extended family is small and we are very close. I see them multiple times a year and consider them to be a huge part of my life. My extended family, on the other hand, is large and I see them probably once every two years. I don't think most of them know my fiancé's name even after 12 yeas of dating. 

However, although we are working with a very tight budget, I will invite all of my relatives. I'm not thrilled about it, but I know it's the best thing to do. Of course I have no idea if they will attend or not, I am tweaking my plans to make it work assuming they will all attend. I'm researching Sunday brunch and late evening hors d'oeuvres receptions to see where I can cut costs and yet still include everyone. 

As you can see, a lot of people aren't too keen on the separate parties idea. Yes it's your day and you should spend your money how you see fit, but it would be awful to lose friends and upset family on your special day. 

Best of luck to you!
  • mnyogi said:
    Isn't this a heated thread? I might be tardy to this party, but I can definitely sympathize with the original post. My fiancé's extended family is small and we are very close. I see them multiple times a year and consider them to be a huge part of my life. My extended family, on the other hand, is large and I see them probably once every two years. I don't think most of them know my fiancé's name even after 12 yeas of dating. 

However, although we are working with a very tight budget, I will invite all of my relatives. I'm not thrilled about it, but I know it's the best thing to do. Of course I have no idea if they will attend or not, I am tweaking my plans to make it work assuming they will all attend. I'm researching Sunday brunch and late evening hors d'oeuvres receptions to see where I can cut costs and yet still include everyone

As you can see, a lot of people aren't too keen on the separate parties idea. Yes it's your day and you should spend your money how you see fit, but it would be awful to lose friends and upset family on your special day. 

Best of luck to you!
    I'm glad to see that you are including everyone in your wedding. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• It's not rocket science. Invite people to your wedding or don't. Seriously.

And yes I've been to a wedding like that. Kind of. My mom and I were invited only to the "dancing" portion of the evening. My mom was offended. We went, we smiled, we participated in the bouquet toss. But my mom was offended, as she should have been.

Anniversary

• I can share with you what I am doing if that offers any inspiration or help. My FH and I are doing first look and our bridal party photos at 4:00pm until 5:30pm then we are hosting a dinner for close family and the bridal party. At 7:30 (after the dinner) we are all going to our venue and are having the ceremony and a cocktail style reception with all the additional guests. Nobody has to wait between ceremony and cocktail reception while we have dinner.
  • That is so rude, OP.  Way to make it obvious that the cocktail reception invitees are people you don't actually give a shit about.  "Hey, I want you to come travel to see me and probably give a gift, but I don't feel like actually hosting you or giving you dinner.  You should just be incredibly honored that I even asked you to come!  Geez!  Oh, and wait in the lobby for 90 minutes while I treat the more special people to dinner. K. Thankssss."  

Does that seem incredibly rude to you?  That's because it is.  

• I could be wrong here - but I'm pretty sure OP isn't even engaged yet so.... 
  • I was in a similar situation. My fiancé really wanted a sit down dinner and a blow out bash. I wanted a family/close friends only ceremony, which would have transitioned into a dinner just fine. Luckily, my very clever FMIL pointed out that most of the family is from out of town so they will be at the rehearsal dinner and having another sit down dinner is redundant. If having your friends at the ceremony is important to you, I would explore other ways to have the dinner without a lag time for a portion of the guest.
  • @hellohkb Is thread old enough to be a Zombie? And by be a Zombie I mean can you kill it?

Anniversary
  • Zombie threads are technically threads over six months old. When someone comments the clock goes back to 0 and we start over again. Sorry :(
    chibiyui said:

@hellohkb Is thread old enough to be a Zombie? And by be a Zombie I mean can you kill it?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards