Second Weddings

Third Marriage

SIL will be married for the third time this Saturday.  I ask because I really don't know---what should our gift be?  Her fiance has been married before, they will be living in his house, they need nothing for the home.

Re: Third Marriage

• edited April 2015

I would give them whatever you are comfortable giving them. If they do not have a registry (I take it they do not, since you mentioned they have everything they need), then cash/check is more than sufficient. Any amount that you feel comfortable providing will work.

Also, some others in similar past posts have recommended gift certificates to local restaurants, spas for couples massages, or B&Bs for a weekend getaway.

If you are unable to financially provide a gift or do not feel comfortable providing a gift, gifts are never to be expected a nice card is a good idea.

ETA more info.

• whitney37354whitney37354 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2015
    There was no registry.  There were no showers.  We were invited to a "surprise lunch" where we all paid our own way but didn't bring gifts. I hate to hand out cash, seems impersonal, but that may be what I do.

• I got this thought from another post: would a gift card to the movies be tacky?  We could keep the kids (girls are 7, 8, 9, & 15, son is 19 & on his own) for them so they could get a night out.
  • I got this thought from another post: would a gift card to the movies be tacky?  We could keep the kids (girls are 7, 8, 9, & 15, son is 19 & on his own) for them so they could get a night out.

Absolutely not tacky at all!!!!! Anything that goes toward a date night is a great idea.

• edited April 2015

There was no registry.  There were no showers.  We were invited to a "surprise lunch" where we all paid our own way but didn't bring gifts. I hate to hand out cash, seems impersonal, but that may be what I do.

SIB

BTW- this is tacky. LOL

• To be honest, if they didn't do all the showers, and registries, they probably don't want anything, but don't want to be rude by saying that. A nice sentimental card is always good. If you feel the need to get a gift, cash is ALWAYS welcome!
    It's my second, his third. We own our home and have for a few years. We don't need anything, nor do we really want anything, BUT we did NOT put that on the invitation. Relatives have called my dad and grandma with some not-so-nice remarks concerning gifts. They told them that we didn't want anything, and all we wanted was to be around friends and family to celebrate our special day if they are able to attend. Our close friends, we just told straight-out that we didn't want anything, or need anything, but if they felt it necessary, then get us a card with some nice sentimental words that we can look back on in the future :-) I'm not a big fan of gift-giving at weddings, only because guests usually spend on travel expenses and I'm more of an "in-the-moment sentimental" person lol!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards