Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Bartender or self-serve?

We are having a hard time with deciding how we want to manage our bar for the wedding. Our venue allows us to supply our own alcohol (yay!), and as long as we have the required event insurance and liquor liability insurance, they don't care whether we have a licensed bartender or if we do self-serve (or some combination).

So, here's our conundrum: Our caterer can provide two bartenders at a small fee, but the company requires that all drinks be handed directly to guests at the bar - which means no wine at the tables, no pre-poured drinks, no self-serve beer, no servers walking around refilling glasses. It also means that during dinner, guests will have to get up and go to the bar for drinks.

I completely understand the caterer's policy - liability and all - but I also don't love that we can't have wine at the tables, and that people can't just grab a beer from the bar without waiting for the bartenders. We have the option of doing it all self-serve, but since we have mixed drinks I don't really like that either - at least with a bartender there is someone who can cut people off if things get out of control, and someone to keep the bar area stocked and clean.

So, I guess my question is: Do you think it would be inconvenient for guests to have to go to the bar, and potentially wait in line, for every single drink they order? Or should we look into hiring a college kid of Craigslist or an independent bartender to man the bar, so that we can have beer and wine self-serve?

I don't really love any of the options, but maybe I am overthinking it. Tell me what to do!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Bartender or self-serve?

• kmmssg said:

I think you are over thinking this one. I have always had to go up to the bar for drinks and find it no inconvenience at all.

This. You're fine with the bartenders. I've also never been able to just grab a beer while people ordering mixed drinks get them from the bartender. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • RezIpsaRezIpsa member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Even if it was slightly inconvenient (it is not, and I have been to many weddings that do this), the trade off of lessening your responsibility and liability for alcohol related incidents is worth it.
  • Thanks, guys. I was fairly certain I was over-thinking it. We'll stick with the bartenders - either through the caterer or otherwise. My FI's main concern was people having to get up during dinner to refill their drinks, but the bar is, like, 10 feet from the tables.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    Yeah, I definitely wouldn't worry about this. I've only ever been to one wedding where I didn't need to go up to the bar to get my own drinks, and it's never been a big deal. 
  • Bartenders cut your liability down...  There's always "the one"...  It's also the consideration of risk if you have guests present who are under 21 depending on your state's laws. 

What about the non-alcoholic drinks - is the caterer fine with those being able to be self-serve?  I know one hall "back home" they offer the option of just purchasing canisters of soda for the evening instead of having soda served at the bar.  It was great to just walk up and get our own instead of having to get the bartender's attention just for a soda..(they also offered the same for the keg, but that's a different discussion)...

• If you're worried about people getting up during dinner to get drinks, close the bar for the 1/2 hour it takes to get dinner on the table. I have worked many weddings (both serving and bartending) and it makes it much easier for all staff. The bartenders have time to restock after cocktail hour and the servers won't be tripping over people. Also, if you're having a plated meal, the servers will be carrying trays that have 8-12 meals on it and no one wants them to drop that. 

You can have a very nice sign that you have up during cocktail hour that mentions that the bar will be closed during dinner so you dont have to worry about people running out of drinks.
  • If you're worried about people getting up during dinner to get drinks, close the bar for the 1/2 hour it takes to get dinner on the table. I have worked many weddings (both serving and bartending) and it makes it much easier for all staff. The bartenders have time to restock after cocktail hour and the servers won't be tripping over people. Also, if you're having a plated meal, the servers will be carrying trays that have 8-12 meals on it and no one wants them to drop that. 

You can have a very nice sign that you have up during cocktail hour that mentions that the bar will be closed during dinner so you dont have to worry about people running out of drinks.
    We're having a buffet, so this doesn't really apply  - but it would be a good idea if we were doing plated meals!

It turns out that the policy of no wine on tables is just an internal policy for the catering company we went with - we've spoken with a handful of other bartenders who are fine having wine on the table, so we will probably go with one of them.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards