Wedding Etiquette Forum

Honeyfunds

sarahuflsarahufl member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited May 2015 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
As seen on FB today:

"Hi family and friends! As I am sure you heard through the Facebook vine, we eloped a few months ago and haven't been on a honeymoon just
yet. We would love your help to get us to Costa Rica in December for our
special getaway. Please check out our honeyfund page and donate if you
can! Thanks a bunch!!"

When you click on the link, it brings you to their page, which then says:Hello friends and family,

"We are honored that you have supported us along our journey together. We
slipped away to our favorite fishing spot to tie the knot a few months
back and have been enjoying wedded bliss ever since. We want to send a
personal thank you for helping us reach our dream destination for our
much needed (and anticipated) honeymoon."

um, WTF? You slipped off and got married in secret and then you expect people to "donate" to your honeymoon? Nope.

Re: Honeyfunds

• Umm, no.  Just NO.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    Ugh.  I am just barely scraping together the money for five days at a B&B in a rather inexpensive town 90 minutes from me.  Pay for your own damn vacation people - eat ramen, skip Starbucks, downgrade to a cheaper tv/phone plan like the rest of us.
  • Are people actually donating to this?
  • redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    sarahufl said:

As seen on FB today:

"Hi family and friends! As I am sure you heard through the Facebook vine, we eloped a few months ago and haven't been on a honeymoon just
    yet. We would love your help to get us to Costa Rica in December for our
    special getaway. Please check out our honeyfund page and donate if you
    can! Thanks a bunch!!"

When you click on the link, it brings you to their page, which then says:Hello friends and family,

"We are honored that you have supported us along our journey together. We
    slipped away to our favorite fishing spot to tie the knot a few months
    back and have been enjoying wedded bliss ever since. We want to send a
    personal thank you for helping us reach our dream destination for our
    much needed
    (and anticipated) honeymoon."

um, WTF? You slipped off and got married in secret and then you expect people to "donate" to your honeymoon? Nope.

I need a million dollars. Should i set up a GoFundMe? 

That is next level gross.  Honestly, just go on the HM at the fishing spot.  I would love to have a fishing HM.  
  • I seriously hope no one donates to that. 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Holy crap.... this whole honeyfund/ gofundme stuff drives me crazy. I don't understand why people expect others to fund their life...

No one NEEDS a honeymoon, especially to Costa Rica. Go away for the weekend to a nice hotel.

• jacques27 said:

Do you know these people well enough to give a gift?  I think if anyone I know in real life were so tacky as to do this, I would probably send them a congratulations card and a book from Dave Ramsey or Suze Orman so they can get their financial shit together and pay for their own vacation.  Teach a man to fish...

It is a fringe FB friend- I haven't actually spoken to her in at least 15 years.
  • sarahufl said:

jacques27 said:

Do you know these people well enough to give a gift?  I think if anyone I know in real life were so tacky as to do this, I would probably send them a congratulations card and a book from Dave Ramsey or Suze Orman so they can get their financial shit together and pay for their own vacation.  Teach a man to fish...

It is a fringe FB friend- I haven't actually spoken to her in at least 15 years.
    Actually, for that reason alone, you could totally get away with sending a financial planning book and then hitting the defriend button! 

• GROSS.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • edited June 2015
  • I haven't had a vacation in three years guys. You give me money now?

C'mon, I wanna pork in Europe on someone else's dime!

Well, I need to go to Madrid to see the Virgin Mary squirting titty milk in to various people's mouths. THIS IS A LIFE OR DEATH SITUATION.
  • JennyColadaJennyColada member
    edited May 2015
    "We are enjoying wedded bliss! But not really, because we aren't enjoying spending time with each other if a vacation isn't involved so WE NEED A HONEYMOON."

Also, I seriously hope that the prevalence of GFM and HF is just kind of a fad and people will realize how fucking tacky this shit is and cut it out in a year or so. Like seriously, you're literally BEGGING. When did people decide that this is something that they want to do openly to their friends and family?!
  • SP29SP29 member
    Speaking of funds.... have you all seen the recent news about the couple from Vancouver Island who gave birth on the airplane on the way home from Japan? 

The couple is young, she works part time, he is unemployed. They didn't know they were pregnant (took a test which came back negative). 

After they got home, they set up a GoFundMe for $50K and got a whole LOT of backlash. They have since reduced it to $5K (which is the cost of their medical bills from Japan). 

I get $5K in unexpected medical bills is crazy and could put anyone in the poor house- I wouldn't donate to the GoFundMe, but whatever, maybe others will. But I was kind of pleasantly surprised (even though I feel bad for saying that), that people got mad at the $50K (which was needed to help support the family as mom is now home with baby and dad doesn't have a job). 

I suppose mostly because it seems these funding sites are now so common and viewed as OK. Crazy shit happens, for sure, but don't ask others to fund your day to day life. 

• SP29 said:

Speaking of funds.... have you all seen the recent news about the couple from Vancouver Island who gave birth on the airplane on the way home from Japan? 

The couple is young, she works part time, he is unemployed. They didn't know they were pregnant (took a test which came back negative). 

After they got home, they set up a GoFundMe for $50K and got a whole LOT of backlash. They have since reduced it to $5K (which is the cost of their medical bills from Japan). 

I get $5K in unexpected medical bills is crazy and could put anyone in the poor house- I wouldn't donate to the GoFundMe, but whatever, maybe others will. But I was kind of pleasantly surprised (even though I feel bad for saying that), that people got mad at the $50K (which was needed to help support the family as mom is now home with baby and dad doesn't have a job). 

I suppose mostly because it seems these funding sites are now so common and viewed as OK. Crazy shit happens, for sure, but don't ask others to fund your day to day life. 

Then...why doesn't dad stay home with baby? His penis won't fall off, promise!

Formerly martha1818

• SP29SP29 member
    @lovegood90 Good question!! 
  • edited June 2015
  • SP29SP29 member
    These are Canadians. Mom is of Japanese heritage, so maybe her family is putting pressures, but the dad is Caucasian. My thought is get a job at McDonalds if that's what it takes, but you know...
  • Speaking of funds.... have you all seen the recent news about the couple from Vancouver Island who gave birth on the airplane on the way home from Japan? 

Then...why doesn't dad stay home with baby? His penis won't fall off, promise!

Probably because he doesn't have the 600 hours to qualify. He has 15 weeks to get 600 hours to qualify for 35 weeks of Parental leave. GO!
  • I don't donate to any of the GFMs/HFs. But I side-eye LESS the ones for medical emergencies. I still side-eye them, but not as much as your "necessary" honeymoon.
  • SP29 said:

Speaking of funds.... have you all seen the recent news about the couple from Vancouver Island who gave birth on the airplane on the way home from Japan

WTF are they doing going to Japan if they are that broke?  Trips to Japan are expensive! 
  • fyrchkfyrchk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment

I'm setting up a GFM right now. I'd like all of you lovelies to donate $50. We are going to eradicate stupidity. And tackiness in general. You might actually have to donate more if we're going to do both.

Fuck it...the GFM is set for ONE MILLION DOLLARS! (And enough extra to buy a shark with a laser beam.)

www.iseestupidpeople.gofundme.com

• SP29SP29 member
    edited May 2015
    @MyNameIsNot Sorry, seems I missed that point- the tickets were a gift from her parents, they were visiting her parents in Japan. 

Considering the dad makes $0 now, even with maternity leave, the mom would probably make more money working part time than what her leave would pay her (as it's 55% of your income). Or, he could get a job. 

@sarahufl Same. I wouldn't donate money, but I don't really judge medical GFMs. Shit happens. I just feel that's more appropriate for close family and friends to support (if they want). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards