Getting in Shape

Making the right choice is hard

I'm finding that most of my daily decisions revolve around food and exercise. 

I want a bagel for breakfast. Should I get one? If I do, that means I should definitely go to the gym. Or if I don't get a bagel, I can skip the gym. Or I can get a big lunch. But I should walk home regardless and eat a light dinner. And if I have a light dinner, I am allowed a glass of wine. 

It's like a game I play with myself. But I also realized that I can make all the RIGHT decisions for my whole day (no bagel/eat a healthy breakfast instead, go to the gym instead of skipping, normal-sized lunch, light dinner, maybe wine) and I might actually get somewhere that way. If I keep up the bad decisions/good decisions game, I'll keep allowing myself to make some bad decisions, and I will get nowhere.

This sounds pretty random but one time I read this interview with Chris Pratt ("Guardians of the Galaxy," "Parks and Rec," etc.) about how he lost all that weight. He said something, and I'm paraphrasing, along the lines of "well I figured I could get a big sandwich for lunch, or I could get a salad. If I get a salad, then I might make progress." It's weirdly inspiring and it makes sense. It's all about making the right choices on a consistent basis.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Making the right choice is hard

• Have you eer read Darren Hardy's "The Compound Effect"? It's a gret book on how those small every day consistent choices are what make te real dfference in our lives.
  • Totally agree with you OP! My wedding is in a month, and while I'm not overweight I could definitely afford to tone up some before the big day. I play the game you mentioned above constantly! While I exercise about 4-5 times each week, I struggle with the food aspect of things!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mj8215mj8215 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    haleyk620 said:

Totally agree with you OP! My wedding is in a month, and while I'm not overweight I could definitely afford to tone up some before the big day. I play the game you mentioned above constantly! While I exercise about 4-5 times each week, I struggle with the food aspect of things!

I have exactly the same problem! I am not trying to lose a specific amount of weight, maybe just a few pounds (like 3-5?) and tone up a little bit, but I have literally not lost a single pound and have been working out almost every day for the last 3 months or so. I *think* it may have something to do with all the nutella, froyo and chips I eat, but can't be 100% sure. 
    - The stars, like dust, encircle me in living mists of light. And all of space I seem to see in one vast burst of sight. 
  • @mj8215 - I was doing the same exact thing - could not lose a single pound, even though I was working out a ton. I started tracking my calories and set a goal on my fitbit, stuck with it, and only then did I see results -- it's crazy when you actually figure out what a serving size is! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards