Flowers
Options

Florist Help!

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on choosing a florist. I'm assuming there a different specialties in the florist business. Am I better off looking for a florist who specializes in weddings? My fear is that if I choose to go with a florist that is a "Jack of all trades" they won't be as experienced as a florist who devotes their time to weddings. Are there different techniques in caring for the flowers for different types of occasions, like what preserves the flowers for the entire reception and how do they store them until them.

I'm totally inexperienced and welcome any advice. :)

Re: Florist Help!

• Options
    tj&cwtj&cw member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Hi....when I picked my florist I looked up reviews on the knot as well as going to bridal fairs to see what was out there. Also if you have picked a venue or any other vendors something they have preferred vendor list. Its another good way of knowing that you picked a good florist. 

Our florist does all types of events as well as event planning. You don't have to book the first florist that you meet with.....they have a good check list with questions here on the knot that will help you find a florist. 

Good luck....in the end make sure that you like the person and they listen to what you want

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you, where can I find that checklist with the questions?
  • Options
    Going with a florist who specializes in weddings would be the best idea in your case so you are able to get tips and answers to all your questions.
  • Options
    Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on choosing a florist. I'm assuming there a different specialties in the florist business. Am I better off looking for a florist who specializes in weddings? My fear is that if I choose to go with a florist that is a "Jack of all trades" they won't be as experienced as a florist who devotes their time to weddings. Are there different techniques in caring for the flowers for different types of occasions, like what preserves the flowers for the entire reception and how do they store them until them.

I'm totally inexperienced and welcome any advice. :)
    Well if you go with a florist then the bolded is not something that you have to worry about.

As someone who worked in a florist that was a "jack of all trades" we did plenty of weddings a year.  Hell my summers were filled with weddings, at least 3 a weekend (more if what was ordered was just personal flowers).  Honestly, there isn't that much difference creating an arrangement for a wedding, fundraiser, dinner party, for a sick friend, mothers day, valentines day, birthday celebration, funeral etc, etc, etc.  You are either a skilled designer or you're not.  If you are talented and experienced at arranging flowers then it won't matter what occasion the flowers are for, they will look beautiful.  If you suck at it then it won't matter what your specialty is because the flowers will most likely not look great.  So go with a florist that aligns with your design style and budget rather then just because they are wedding focused.

And really any florist, regardless of their specialty, should be able to answer any basic questions you have about how flowers are kept and maintained.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards