Chit Chat

100 grandchildren!?

2»

Re: 100 grandchildren!?

• mj8215 said:
    Does anyone else think its wrong in our day and age to have this many children? To me it just seems very selfish given all the overpopulation and increasing paucity of resources...I mean even assuming both parents work and have good salaries, how can you possibly provide appropriate resources/ education etc for these kids, not to mention devote enough love and attention to each child? I don't know. I did not go "aww cute" when I read that article. 
    And I love kids and FI and I hope to have them (ideally more than 1 if it works out that way). But...just no.

*edited because got cut off in the middle. 
    I disagree with this. I mean, yeah it seems crazy to have 12 children now, unlike this couple that did 60 years ago. However, it is up to an individual or couple to decide how many children they want. Similarly to the fact we can't tell women what to do with their uterus in regards to abortions, the same goes for this. We can't tell people, "you're only allowed x amount of children, otherwise you are selfish"

Some people do great with a ton of kids. Large families work for some. Small families work for others. Some families don't include biological children or even children at all. I just think it depends on a person's situation. I've heard the argument that there are so many kids to adopt why would one choose to have multiple biological children? That's crazy to me. I think it is important for someone to know that they want a biological child if possible and don't really want to consider adoption. It takes special people to be adoptive parents and not everyone is cut out for it. 

• I want our kid(s) to have siblings, so at least 2. I think 2 is convenient because of riding in the car, hotel rooms, 1:1 parent to child ratio, it's less expensive.....logistically, it just seems easier. 

But I always think about a bigger family as being really fun. I'm probably dreaming. Who knows?

I think we'll see how we do with kid #1 and take it from there.
    *********************************************************************************

• I want our kid(s) to have siblings, so at least 2. I think 2 is convenient because of riding in the car, hotel rooms, 1:1 parent to child ratio, it's less expensive.....logistically, it just seems easier. 

But I always think about a bigger family as being really fun. I'm probably dreaming. Who knows?

I think we'll see how we do with kid #1 and take it from there.
    That's how DH and I are. We know we want at least two. A lot of people joke that once you have more than 2, then you (the parents) become outnumbered, haha. I would really like to have three but DH isn't convince and said we will see once we actually start to have kids.

• emmaaa said:
    mj8215 said:
    Does anyone else think its wrong in our day and age to have this many children? To me it just seems very selfish given all the overpopulation and increasing paucity of resources...I mean even assuming both parents work and have good salaries, how can you possibly provide appropriate resources/ education etc for these kids, not to mention devote enough love and attention to each child? I don't know. I did not go "aww cute" when I read that article. 
    And I love kids and FI and I hope to have them (ideally more than 1 if it works out that way). But...just no.

I disagree with this. I mean, yeah it seems crazy to have 12 children now, unlike this couple that did 60 years ago. However, it is up to an individual or couple to decide how many children they want. Similarly to the fact we can't tell women what to do with their uterus in regards to abortions, the same goes for this. We can't tell people, "you're only allowed x amount of children, otherwise you are selfish"

Some people do great with a ton of kids. Large families work for some. Small families work for others. Some families don't include biological children or even children at all. I just think it depends on a person's situation. I've heard the argument that there are so many kids to adopt why would one choose to have multiple biological children? That's crazy to me. I think it is important for someone to know that they want a biological child if possible and don't really want to consider adoption. It takes special people to be adoptive parents and not everyone is cut out for it. 
    This.  It's also a bit of a misunderstanding about the population.   The birth rate has actually decreased.   IMO, if you can provide for the kids and you're giving them a good home, go for it.   

I also don't think that college education is something owed to children.   Yes, we need to educate our children through HS and I was lucky to have parents who paid for me to go to college, but I think we're pushing that education as a suits-all solution when it doesn't.   And I don't think that parents need to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars (look at the cost of a private college) to give their children such a gift.   We will probably finance a lot of the education for our children but there's a big difference with what we'll expense.   And as two graduates of the state university, I'm going to be a big proponent of that. 
  • edited May 2015
    I come from a family of two's: I have one sister, both my parents have one sibling, my sister has two kids (and says she's done), my aunts both had two kids. My parents divorced and remarried and both my stepmother and stepfather have two sons each. My mother said once that 2 was the right number for her because she was "replacing herself" (meaning me & my dad) in the human population. So, two is always what I imagined, but I'm older (37) so more recently my attitude is "I'll be happy with whatever number of children I am blessed with".

Speaking of 100 grandchildren - I have a friend whose grandfather just passed away and he posted the obituary on FB. At the time of his passing (I think he was in his 90s) he had 14 children, 53 grandchildren, and 71 great-grandchildren. I thought that was pretty impressive.

ETF grammar
  • banana468 said:
    emmaaa said:
    mj8215 said:

This.  It's also a bit of a misunderstanding about the population.   The birth rate has actually decreased.   IMO, if you can provide for the kids and you're giving them a good home, go for it.   

I also don't think that college education is something owed to children.   Yes, we need to educate our children through HS and I was lucky to have parents who paid for me to go to college, but I think we're pushing that education as a suits-all solution when it doesn't.   And I don't think that parents need to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars (look at the cost of a private college) to give their children such a gift.   We will probably finance a lot of the education for our children but there's a big difference with what we'll expense.   And as two graduates of the state university, I'm going to be a big proponent of that. 
    Yes! DH and I both paid for our own education. We both have student loans in our names. My mom got one loan in my first semester of college because I lived on campus and at an expensive school. After I transferred, I could get the loans myself. Now, I was blessed that my parents helped me tremendously through college if I needed money. But I was also expected to have a job and support myself as much as I could. DH did not go to college until he was 22 and just graduated. The entire time he was in school, we lived together. Obviously, we had to support ourselves then. 

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    As an only child, that much family is anxiety inducing. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    mj8215 said:

No, because I don't want anybody telling me what I can and should do with my own reproduction, I don't find it acceptable to have an opinion about what others should do with theirs.

My mom is one of six, and I have 13 first cousins.  My grandmother did not want that many children, but back then, there weren't many choices for birth control, plus they were Catholic so their beliefs didn't allow for it anyway.  She almost died having the 6th kid.  So, it's not always like they planned or wanted to have that many.  She loved being a grandmother to all of us though, and then later a great grandmother.

Married 9.12.15
  • Also, adding (because I can't seem to edit my other post again), you don't need tons of money to provide for your children.  My parents were broke as shit when I was a kid, because they decided to have my mom stay home until I was in school.  I had an awesome childhood.  My dad also passed away my first week of college, so I was on my own after that... and as far as I can tell I'm still a productive member of society.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Also, adding (because I can't seem to edit my other post again), you don't need tons of money to provide for your children.  My parents were broke as shit when I was a kid, because they decided to have my mom stay home until I was in school.  I had an awesome childhood.  My dad also passed away my first week of college, so I was on my own after that... and as far as I can tell I'm still a productive member of society.
    I loved this blog post that kind of follows in line with that: http://thishouseisourhome.net/2015/02/25/kids-arent-expensive-but-that-other-thing-sure-is/

• We have a 2 year old son and are planning on baby #2 in the next few years. I want to secure a few things with my current position before TTC. I don't think I'd want more than 2 though. I'm the youngest of 3 and my SO is the youngest of 4 so we'd love our baby to have a sibling too.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards