Knottie Tech Help

TOS Clarifications

We are working to make sure we cover all topics of questions you asked last week. Below are our responses to any questions you asked surrounding TOS/Guideline clarifications. As you may notice, not all questions are included in this thread. We will be posting more threads throughout the week regarding admin responsibilities, moderator responsibilities and new warning procedures. In each, we will take any more questions you might have after reading our answers.

@KatieinBkln Can users be instantly banned without receiving any warnings and in what cases does this happen? 
Members will only be banned if they’re issued five warnings. The only exception to this rule is if the poster is clearly a vendor or spammer.

@KatieinBkln Have we changed the “5 warnings and you’re out” process?
No, this is still the same process that has been in place for almost two years.

@KatieinBkln @FiancB @thespeshulestsnowflake @MagicInk Since signature gifs appear in every post by a user, how can we determine the context of these gifs? 
If we see that a user has gotten into a heated situation on the boards, and then immediately changes their sig gif to reflect this which contains material in violation of the TOS and while posting consistently negative messages, we can reasonably determine that these actions are in direct response to that situation. The content of the gif must be a violation of the TOS in order to warrant a warning.

@KatieinBkln I am a regular poster on 3 boards. What happens if I change my sig gif based on a thread, post on a board I’m not usually on, and someone in this board who doesn’t know the context of this gif takes offense to it and reports it?
This is a good question. We see this occurring in two situations, when someone sees this as a direct attack and the second is if a random member notices your gif, and takes offense to it. In that case, we will handle it as we would any reported post. Many signatures get reported, mostly because members do not see a line of separation between the post and signature and members in these cases believe the gif is directed at them. As Admins, we have to look at the context of the reported post itself. We do our best to understand the context - if possible. As we stated above we try to read the entire thread to understand context. We also often PM the poster to communicate that there is concern over the post. If we believe necessary, we will issue a warning. The poster can then dialogue with us about the warning so we can clear up the issue.

@FiancB @hellosweetie1015 @Cookie Pusher Not clear on why some posts are violations while others are not, though they appear to be the same. (Why is one very similar gif removed while another is not, and why is profanity allowed but profane photos and videos are not?)
This is a fair question. We do our best to understand the context of any post or gif. We have to weigh any reported posts/sigs and PMs and emails sent directly to us which happens often.  But, we support your freedom to express yourselves. However, when the gif is clearly in violation of our TOS we will warn the user or remove the sig. The decision depends on context. Here are some examples that are often very clear to us:
- Use of profanity towards a specific individual, group of people (such as a religious group, race, gender, sexual orientation, etc) or The Knot
- Use of another member’s personal information, including their pictures
- Solicitation
- Encourages criminal conduct

@FiancB What is the time frame given between issuing a final warning and banning a user?
Our usual procedure was to try to wait about fifteen to twenty minutes. In extreme cases if the activity continued after the final warning, we might ban. However, we have heard your complaints about this. The time frame between warnings and specifically the final warning and any ban that could levied is something we are willing to discuss and change. We would like to take this conversation to a new thread so we can discuss the future procedures. We will be expanding on this later this week.

@FiancB @hellosweetie1015 @HeatherKat Why can I not post a warning I’ve received to the boards? Can I also not post a screenshot of a notification saying I got 500 love-its?
Warnings are received through PMs. When you receive a PM that isn’t a warning, you see the same thing in your notifications, in which there’s part of the body of text from the PM, it’s against the TOS to screenshot that as well since it contains text from the PM and warnings aren’t exceptions to this. You can post a screenshot of your notifications as these are not displayed as PMs.

@thespeshulestsnowflake If I change the gif in my signature to a gif that I found in a blowup thread that resulted in many users getting warnings, will I get warned for using that gif?
These situations are rare. If there’s a thread where members are posting FU gifs directly at another member, The Knot or group of individuals, and you change your signature to that gif, then it is possible that you would also receive a warning. Again, we try to understand the context of the use of the gif. Moving forward, if an extreme case like this takes place we can certainly post to the thread letting everyone know that reuse of this gif will incur a warning.

@MagicInk What does the TOS mean by “contributing to a negative environment?” 
As you know, we have a zero tolerance policy regarding bullying on the boards. Contributing to a negative environment includes acting maliciously towards other members, The Knot or the community as a whole, consistently bashing and calling out members, and following a member or group of members across the boards and replying to their posts negatively. 

@MagicInk Why was Ashley banned after receiving only one warning? Is it because she insulted/”questioned absolute authority” of the admins?
Absolutely not. Ashley received all five warnings. 

@esstee33 @redoryx Based on our definition of “trolling,” how was the situation in which mods were posting polar bear gifs in a thread not considered trolling? This seemed like an abuse of power by mods, and the mods seemed to be ganging up on members, regardless of the non-threatening content of the images. Why was this behavior overlooked?
This behavior wasn’t overlooked. We saw the behavior of posting polar bear gifs to diffuse the thread as being very similar to puppy gifs, kitten gifs. A similar situation was when members posted hydrogen peroxide and crab gifs. We did not warn for any of those instances so therefore we did not warn for the polar bears.

@hellosweetie1015 Can we agree that everyone who posts something racist- whether or not they use an actual slur- should receive a warning? And everyone who posts “f*ck you” gifs should receive a warning? If not, this should be clear in the TOS.
This is something we take seriously. We view any use of profanity that is used directly, such as “F*ck You,” is worthy of a warning. We also do not condone racism and see this as harassing in nature. When we see uses that we don’t clearly understand the intent but other members take offense, we either contact the poster or warn them. If you see something we haven’t addressed please contact us so we can discuss why you believe it’s an offensive comment, so we can better understand the report. 

@hellosweetie1015 What is the warning appeal process? Is there a time limit to appeal a warning? To do so, do I PM the mod/admin who issues the warning? Do I have the chance to defend myself? Who judges my appeal (the admins or mods)? In the event that the 2 admins disagree, who has the final say?
I would suggest PMing myself or Holly if you would like to appeal. Members can appeal a warning directly to us that they felt was unjust, We look at it and the situation. If the admins disagree, we will consult another member from our community team, to get an unbiased opinion.We have reversed warnings in the past. 

@hellosweetie1015 Who created the current TOS? Will we have the opportunity to input on future TOS, or just TK’s employees? Will mods have input? Will it be a discussion in Community or a poll?
Our legal department created the TOS and is standard to most websites. We would like to include the community’s  input on updated  guidelines we want to publish in order to give some clarity to the more gray areas in the TOS for the community in particular. This is an active project we are working on.

@chibiyui Why was I warned for middle-finger gifs I posted in the TOS PSA thread if admins claim we haven’t warned for “off-topic gifs” in the past?
This warning was issued since you stated you were posting “as many gifs as I can before my inevitable banning.” This behavior is meant to negatively provoke other members as well as those who issue warnings. Also, the gifs included “F*ck you” directed at the community as a whole and direct attacks are against our TOS. Overall, this behavior creates a negative environment for the community.  

Re: TOS Clarifications

• KnotHolly said:
    As you know, we have a zero tolerance policy regarding bullying on the boards. Contributing to a negative environment includes acting maliciously towards other members, The Knot or the community as a whole, consistently bashing and calling out members, and following a member or group of members across the boards and replying to their posts negatively.  
    @KnotHolly and @KnotRiley

This makes very little sense. When you're looking at two posters are both active posters you're going to end up on the same boards and probably replying to the same posts. And you might take different positions. Who decides what a negative post is or isn't? Should members just ignore each other if they disagree? Should we all just stick to some boards over other boards? 

I mean I got a finger wagging for "following" someone to a thread that I was already participating in and calling out sexist bullshit. Because that was "following" and "being negative". 

Bullying and "being negative" are not the same things at all.
  • MagicInk said:
    KnotHolly said:
    @KnotHolly and @KnotRiley

This makes very little sense. When you're looking at two posters are both active posters you're going to end up on the same boards and probably replying to the same posts. And you might take different positions. Who decides what a negative post is or isn't? Should members just ignore each other if they disagree? Should we all just stick to some boards over other boards? 

I mean I got a finger wagging for "following" someone to a thread that I was already participating in and calling out sexist bullshit. Because that was "following" and "being negative". 

Bullying and "being negative" are not the same things at all.
    We know disagreements happen on the boards, and we certainly don't think members should just stick to certain boards to avoid others with whom they've had disagreements. Disagreements happen here frequently that don't end in warnings, because they don't involve direct personal attacks. When these disagreements turn into a member consistently replying to a user with attacking, malicious posts, this will result in a warning.
  • FiancB said:
    Thanks for the replies. I look forward to future ones. For the most part, it makes sense. 

Can you please spell out what was wrong with the Louis CK video and the cannoli pic? It sounds like those things should be okay according to this post, as profanity seems to be okay. 

Also throwing my opinion out there that the time to ban should be extended. It seems to me it would be pretty easy to make a string of posts, then go to eat dinner or sleep or something and log back in to a banning without being given a chance to rectify the situation. 
    I agree with the bolded. KH - is that 15-20 minutes when you can confirm that a user is logged in and currently active? If so, personally I see nothing wrong with 15-20 minutes. But I do think that if the user is inactive, they should at least be allowed to log in and view their messages. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Yeah, that worries me a bit, because I often leave a tab open on TK so I probably look active and logged in, but I may actually be gone for hours. 
  • FiancB said:
    Thanks for the replies. I look forward to future ones. For the most part, it makes sense. 

Can you please spell out what was wrong with the Louis CK video and the cannoli pic? It sounds like those things should be okay according to this post, as profanity seems to be okay. 

Also throwing my opinion out there that the time to ban should be extended. It seems to me it would be pretty easy to make a string of posts, then go to eat dinner or sleep or something and log back in to a banning without being given a chance to rectify the situation. 
    I agree with the bolded. KH - is that 15-20 minutes when you can confirm that a user is logged in and currently active? If so, personally I see nothing wrong with 15-20 minutes. But I do think that if the user is inactive, they should at least be allowed to log in and view their messages. 
    I will also agree that a little more lag time between the final warning and banning.    

Considering how many people are actual banned via the 5 warning rule I just do not think it's a situation that needs as much attention that it has been given.  It's not like people are being banned via 5 warning often.  It's not even monthly.   Only the spammers and vendors who are getting banned and they are one and done.

Most of the users have no warnings.  Sure you have the "going out with a blaze of glory" types.   Once they start down that path you could have the limit 10 warnings and they will still do what they can to get there.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @FiancB The Louis CK video posted included a quote with vulgar language, which is against our TOS. Similarly, the cannoli photo posted to the Desserts thread resembled an obscene image and was clearly posted to disrupt the discussion of that thread. 

@ShesSoCold @FiancB @lyndausvi Yes, the 15-20 minutes between final warning and banning is during a time when we can see that the user is currently active. We appreciate your feedback on wanting this time extended, and we really want to try to incorporate your suggestions as we create our new warning rules. Please feel free to continue posting your suggestions so we can be sure to take them into account. 
  • I've been gone all week (for the most part) but I'm glad these questions are getting answered. How long does it take once someone closes a tab to be considered inactive? I know some websites take a few minutes while others can take a little longer.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• hellohkb said:
    I've been gone all week (for the most part) but I'm glad these questions are getting answered. How long does it take once someone closes a tab to be considered inactive? I know some websites take a few minutes while others can take a little longer.
    We aren't able to see the exact time when a user has gone "inactive", but we can see the times when they've signed in and when they're active on the boards. The time between final warning and banning for a user is when we know they are currently active.

• @chibiyui Why was I warned for middle-finger gifs I posted in the TOS PSA thread if admins claim we haven’t warned for “off-topic gifs” in the past?
    This warning was issued since you stated you were posting “as many gifs as I can before my inevitable banning.” This behavior is meant to negatively provoke other members as well as those who issue warnings. Also, the gifs included “F*ck you” directed at the community as a whole and direct attacks are against our TOS. Overall, this behavior creates a negative environment for the community.  

So. Self-deprecating humor is now against TOS. Good to know.

Anniversary
  • hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2015
    KnotHolly said:

hellohkb said:

I've been gone all week (for the most part) but I'm glad these questions are getting answered. How long does it take once someone closes a tab to be considered inactive? I know some websites take a few minutes while others can take a little longer.

We aren't able to see the exact time when a user has gone "inactive", but we can see the times when they've signed in and when they're active on the boards. The time between final warning and banning for a user is when we know they are currently active.
    --

Thanks for clarifying!

• @lyndausvi I see what you're saying in that it doesn't happen all that often, but if the 5-and-done system is used even once (which we all know it has been used once) it needs to have a clear, concrete appeal period of a reasonable length of time, outlined in these mythical new "guidelines" (which it seems will not be a new TOS, despite the fact that the TOS is so vague it could mean THIS POST is against TOS, since apparently attacking The Knot is against TOS, and I'm ALL up on that attack right now).

Also - "most" is contextual. Are you saying "most" as in most of the accounts on TK? Because I guarantee you there are thousands of accounts that have been inactive since long before the current warning system was in place, and so of course they don't have any. Or are you saying "most" as in most accounts that are currently actively in use, or were actively in use before Memorial Day weekend? Because I'd be willing to bet that there is a large discrepancy between the two numbers. 

There are more questions too. Do warnings age out? How long before a warning ages out, if it does? What if I piss off a mod and then they go around warning me for things, and I appeal them and win? Are there repercussions due to the mod for that? 

_____    stupid non-boxes

Most of the people you would call a "reg" have no or only 1 warning.  I'm one of the ones that happens to have one.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • KnotHollyKnotHolly admin
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2015
    @hellosweetie1015 Warnings do not age out. Also, if it were the case that you upset a mod and they then went around reporting you for posts that were not in violation of the TOS, we would address that with the mod before you received warnings. If you appeal a warning that a mod believed was a true violation but it ends up getting reversed, we will always communicate with the mod to let them know why it was reversed to make sure everyone is on the same page. 
  • KnotHolly said:
    @hellosweetie1015 Warnings do not age out. Also, if it were the case that you upset a mod and they then went around reporting you for posts that were not in violation of the TOS, we would address that with the mod before you received warnings. If you appeal a warning that a mod believed was a true violation but it ends up getting reversed, we will always communicate with the mod to let them know why it was reversed to make sure everyone is on the same page. 
    Even an at-fault car accident ages out.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2015
    lyndausvi said:

@lyndausvi I see what you're saying in that it doesn't happen all that often, but if the 5-and-done system is used even once (which we all know it has been used once) it needs to have a clear, concrete appeal period of a reasonable length of time, outlined in these mythical new "guidelines" (which it seems will not be a new TOS, despite the fact that the TOS is so vague it could mean THIS POST is against TOS, since apparently attacking The Knot is against TOS, and I'm ALL up on that attack right now).

Also - "most" is contextual. Are you saying "most" as in most of the accounts on TK? Because I guarantee you there are thousands of accounts that have been inactive since long before the current warning system was in place, and so of course they don't have any. Or are you saying "most" as in most accounts that are currently actively in use, or were actively in use before Memorial Day weekend? Because I'd be willing to bet that there is a large discrepancy between the two numbers. 

There are more questions too. Do warnings age out? How long before a warning ages out, if it does? What if I piss off a mod and then they go around warning me for things, and I appeal them and win? Are there repercussions due to the mod for that? 

_____    stupid non-boxes

Most of the people you would call a "reg" have no or only 1 warning.  I'm one of the ones that happens to have one.   

---

Exactly. And the posts I see from regs on a day to day basis aren't bad or remotely break the TOS. Believe it or not, I actually like quite a lot of the regs. Everyone has a day where we overlook things and go against the grain. Like Lynda mentioned, even some of the mods have 1 warning. That will happen when one spends as much time on a community as many of us do.

• @FiancB Please refer to the TOS, located here: https://www.theknot.com/content/the-knot-terms-of-use

As we've said in the past, profanity is allowed on the boards but overtly vulgar language will most likely result in a warning, which includes sexually explicit language and images. 
  • KnotHolly said:
    @FiancB Please refer to the TOS, located here: https://www.theknot.com/content/the-knot-terms-of-use

As we've said in the past, profanity is allowed on the boards but overtly vulgar language will most likely result in a warning, which includes sexually explicit language and images. 
    But what is the litmus for "Overtly vulgar language"

That is, ridiculously vague. 

Either we're adults and we can say "Fuck" or post gifs with middle fingers, or "No Fucks Given" Memes, or we're not. 

I like being able to say Fuck. I think it's a great word. But it would make a lot more Fucking sense to say "Words like Fuck are not allowed" Then "Overtly vulgar language" Where I'm not sure where I fucking stand in my use of Fuck and whether or not today it's against fucking TOS.

Anniversary
  • TOS said:
    Rules of Conduct
    There are rules of conduct that you are required to follow when you use the Site. You must not:
    • "harvest" (or collect) information from the Site using an automated software tool or manually on a mass basis (unless we have given you separate written permission to do so). This includes, for example, information about other users of the Site and information about the offerings, products, services and promotions available on or through the Site.
    • use automated means to access the Site, or gain unauthorized access to the Site or to any account or computer system connected to the Site.
    • "stream catch" (download, store or transmit copies of streamed content).
    • obtain, or attempt to obtain, access to areas of the Site or our systems that are not intended for access by you.
    • "flood" the Site with requests or otherwise overburden, disrupt or harm the Site or its systems.
    • circumvent or reverse engineer the Site or its systems
    • restrict or inhibit another user or users from using and enjoying the Site.
    • manipulate or forge identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any information posted on the Site or otherwise provided to us or our employees.
    • impersonate any person, including, but not limited to, other community members or our employees.
    If you post something to the Site, such as comments or other content, do not post anything that:
    • uses strong, vulgar, obscene or otherwise harmful language,
    • uses racially, ethnically or otherwise, objectionable language
    • infringes any third party intellectual property right (such as copyrights),
    • is defamatory (i.e., something that is negative and untrue about another person or entity),
    • divulges another person's or entity's confidential or private information or trade secret,
    • is fraudulent, unlawful, threatening, harassing, abusive or discriminatory,
    • encourages criminal conduct,
    • contains any information (such as inside, proprietary or confidential information) that you do not have a right to make available due to contract, fiduciary duty, or operation of law,
    • advertises or solicits business for products or services other than those that are offered and promoted on the Site,
    • contains any virus, malware, spyware or other harmful content or code, or
    • violates regulations promulgated by the Securities and Exchange Commission, or that of any securities exchange, such as the New York Stock Exchange or the NASDAQ Stock Market.
    You also must comply with all applicable laws and contractual obligations when you use the Site.

Disclaimer of Warranties

THE SITE AND ITS CONTENT AND ANY SERVICES PROVIDED THEREIN ARE PROVIDED FOR ENTERTAINMENT, EDUCATIONAL AND PROMOTIONAL PURPOSES. WE PROVIDE THE SITE ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED (INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT). THIS MEANS THAT WE MAKE NO PROMISES THAT:
    • THE SITE WILL BE AVAILABLE AT ANY PARTICULAR TIME,
    • THE SITE WILL MEET ANY PARTICULAR REQUIREMENTS OR PROVIDE ANY PARTICULAR RESULTS,
    • THE INFORMATION ON THE SITE WILL BE ACCURATE OR UP-TO-DATE,
    • THE SITE OR THE INFORMATION TRANSMITTED TO OR FROM IT OR STORED ON IT WILL BE SECURE FROM UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS,
    • INFORMATION AND MATERIALS THAT YOU STORE IN YOUR ACCOUNT OR ON THE SITE WILL REMAIN RETREIVABLE AND UNCORRUPTED (UNLESS WE PROMISE THIS IN A SEPARATE AGREEMENT WITH YOU), OR
    • THE SITE WILL BE UNITERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE OR WILL BE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS, OR THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED.

Last Updated: FEBRUARY 18, 2015
    That's the mainly relevant portions of the TOS, at least for this discussion.

I think it's worth pointing out that every single one of the bolded things occur on this site on a daily basis, and I'd go so far as to say several of them are encouraged - AWing pics, recommending someone read Yelp reviews of a potential vendor, posting potential readings. 

I included the Disclaimer of Warranty so people know why they haven't fixed the login or box code problems yet - in the agreement we all clicked "yes we agree" on, they told us then they didn't give a flying fuck about usability.
  • chibiyui said:
    KnotHolly said:
    @FiancB Please refer to the TOS, located here: https://www.theknot.com/content/the-knot-terms-of-use

Either we're adults and we can say "Fuck" or post gifs with middle fingers, or "No Fucks Given" Memes, or we're not. 

I like being able to say Fuck. I think it's a great word. But it would make a lot more Fucking sense to say "Words like Fuck are not allowed" Then "Overtly vulgar language" Where I'm not sure where I fucking stand in my use of Fuck and whether or not today it's against fucking TOS.

Like we've said, profanity not directed at a user or group of users is allowed. There is a difference between "F*ck" and "F*ck you." Middle finger gifs and gifs containing "F*ck you" on a thread about the community as a whole will likely result in warnings.  
  • KnotHolly said:

I'm thinking warnings SHOULD have a statute of limitations, though. I think they should expire after X amount of time, like points on your licence.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• KnotHolly said:
    chibiyui said:
    KnotHolly said:

Like we've said, profanity not directed at a user or group of users is allowed. There is a difference between "F*ck" and "F*ck you." Middle finger gifs and gifs containing "F*ck you" on a thread about the community as a whole will likely result in warnings.  
    Because again, Self-deprecating humor is apparently against TOS.

Seriously, are you telling me if I hadn't written "I'm posting as many gifs as possible before my inevitable banning" everything would have been a-okay? 

Anniversary
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I'm thinking warnings SHOULD have a statute of limitations, though. I think they should expire after X amount of time, like points on your licence.
    Right. Like what if one day KGs decide this is all too much trouble and to just make it not okay to curse whatsoever. Probably 98% of people on here have dozens of violations there, so woopsie everyone's banned!

Wait, is that the plan all along?

• @hellosweetie1015 Warnings do not age out. Also, if it were the case that you upset a mod and they then went around reporting you for posts that were not in violation of the TOS, we would address that with the mod before you received warnings. If you appeal a warning that a mod believed was a true violation but it ends up getting reversed, we will always communicate with the mod to let them know why it was reversed to make sure everyone is on the same page. 
    THIS EXACTLY. 
  • FiancB said:
    Right. Like what if one day KGs decide this is all too much trouble and to just make it not okay to curse whatsoever. Probably 98% of people on here have dozens of violations there, so woopsie everyone's banned!

Wait, is that the plan all along?

If we were to change something in the TOS, we would not warn for previous posts that may violate the updated policy. Also, if there were to be a change that drastic (which there will not be), the community would be given an adjustment period to get used to that change.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards