Wedding Woes

OITNB / Netflix question

Is it worth it to subscribe to Netflix for OITNB? I watched (most of) the first episode on the plane on Sunday, and it was pretty good. 

we have amazon prime and basically every cable station known to man, so if i got netflix, could i also significantly reduce my cable package (at least the movie channels, except HBO) as well? (i know we can stream netflix through the PS3, so that wouldn't be an issue.)

Re: OITNB / Netflix question

• VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2015
    At this point, I just use Netflix (somewhat older movies, older TV shows), Amazon Prime (wouldn't have it except mother shared it with me, use for older HBO shows and some movies) and Hulu (current TV shows, some older and lots of foreign shows, and Criterion movies) for all streaming needs and TV.  It's pretty rare anymore that I don't have a way to get something I want.  Usually it's only when it's specifically a cable channel show that doesn't want to share it's shows on the web for free (usually HBO, Showtime, Lifetime, etc).  

I use Vudu (you can get on PS3) for movies b/c I like the interface more than I like Amazon Prime, but oftentimes I'll flip back and forth to see which one has what available and price.  Also, both of these will sometimes get a "while it's in theatre option".  But really, I don't mind waiting 95% of the time for a $5.99 movie rather than $20.

The only thing I can think of that cable is still better for is anything you want to watch live, like sports, talk shows (I can't think of one talk show on any of the streaming, but I also have no interest in them) or a show you really just can't wait 24 hours to watch.

I love OITNB, but I'm not sure Netflix is worth subscribing to just for it.  However, Sense8 is getting ready to come out (6/5) and looks amazing.  House of Cards is still active and awesome.  The Fall gets rave reviews.  I watched the first season of Hemlock Grove, but couldn't get into the 2nd.  There's lots more original programming now on Netflix that is really great, so overall, I think it'd be worth it.
  • OITNB is released all at once--and even if you only pay for a month ($8-9) it's still a bargain. Go for the month and see what else you may like.
  • Hi not usually on this board but also wanted to point out that the first month is free. So if you sign up for it see OITNB this month you won't even have to pay for it yet and then you can see if you like it.

I just got it back. I love it. Netflix is my buddy.
  • Yes, I say only get it for one month.

When does the new season start?

When does the new season start?

06/12...so next Friday!  YAY!! 
  • OITNB is released all at once--and even if you only pay for a month ($8-9) it's still a bargain. Go for the month and see what else you may like.
    @IrishPirate60 - i'm a little confused - they release the new full season all at once?

• Netflix releases full seasons, not just select episodes, especially if the shows are their original shows. For instance, Blacklist season 1 is on there, but none of 2 is on there until it ends and Netflix still has a working contract with the station, then all of season 2 will be available (while season 1 may be taken off instant watch).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Yup yup--they cater to the binge watcher.
    So you can watch it all in 1 week and then cancel.

(also, things appear and disappear there a lot.  There are good sites that tell you what is changing--I'm to lazy to keep up though)
  • so their original shows are always available to stream? (like HBO GO?)
  • OK, educate me, please.  What is OITNB?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    OK, educate me, please.  What is OITNB?

Orange is the New Black. 

The show based off of this memoir - Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison

It's a good show - quite a bit of sexual content and graphic language if that sort of thing offends you, but covers gender identity, prisoner rights, and relationship issues quite well.  I took a break after binge-watching the first season and a half and need to finish up the second season before next week.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think all of their originals are always there.
    I've never looked for one and had it not there (once it was released)

But someone who netflixes more than I do should jump in here if I'm wrong.
  • While you have your Netflix subscription, Barbie, you will need to watch Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. It's awesome.
  • As far as I can tell, Netflix never removes their original programming, even the ones that weren't huge successes.  And yes, the whole season drops at once, which is why people talk about taking the day off for the House of Cards premiere.

I used to track quite a bit what Netflix was taking on and off, but my queue is now over 400 titles, so I don't do it anymore.  At this point, I'll never watch everything I want to on there.  This article has good info re: the best tools to use:  http://www.techhive.com/article/218797/netflix-power-tools.html

• I use their dvd plan(yes, I'm old) and will switch to steaming for a month to watch OITNB.

• thanks for the info. 

i just re-upped with effing comcast, but $7-8 more/month really isn't much at this point, so I'll probably sign up for Netflix, at least for the free trial. 

need to time it with a long weekend so I can binge watch.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards