Catholic Weddings

Non-catholic communion/blessing

I read in a closed discussion that the RC church doesn't approve of Non-Catholics coming forward for a blessing during communion. Some churches allow this but it isn't something the church in general wants to encourage. Is this accurate?  My daughter converted several years ago. When we attend Mass with her, I do not go up for a blessing. I do not intend to go up for a blessing at her wedding. She takes this as a sign of disapproval. While I was very upset and still have issue with her conversion, I am doing it for my own set of beliefs. We are a strongly religious family, and she was raised going to church. I would like to be able to explain to her that the Catholic church wouldn't want me to go up for a blessing either. To be clear, her conversion has in no way changed my love for her or my willingness to attend her wedding - I told her this when she converted long before she met her fiance. She is an adult and has to make her own decisions. I feel though she needs to respect my decisions too when it comes to how I worship.

Re: Non-catholic communion/blessing

• There is an official note from the vatican on it, which I can't find at the moment-- it's not in an official liturgical document but rather a response, but it does have a protocol number (which makes it official).

It said the matter is "under study" but it is not encouraged.

It has become a widespread practice in many places and yet some priests and lay ministers don't even know what to do when someone comes up for a blessing. Lay people can ask as a prayer for God to bless you, but they can't actually do a blessing anyway. 

So technically the answer is it is better to stay seated. 
  • Thank you agapecarrie, I was hoping you would see this and answer since I thought you were the one who had originally posted on the matter. I appreciate your response.
  • Thank you Riss. That is helpful. I have learned a lot about Catholicism on this board. It strikes me that my daughter's RCIA class did not teach a lot of what I have learned here. It has made me go and learn more about my own church, which is a good thing. It has solidified my own belief that I am where I should be. BTW, I am not trying to convince my daughter to leave the RC church. She is marrying a devout Catholic man. I don't think it would be wise to rock the boat. I just want her to understand my position.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards