California-Bay Area
Options

Friday or Saturday?

edited June 2015 in California-Bay Area

I've currently reserved a Friday date for my wedding in August 2016. There is about a $2k-$3k savings in just the venue costs by having it on a Friday. (I've heard there can be other discounts in other areas for having a weekday wedding as well!)

My future in-laws are wondering if we should move it to Saturday so that more guests can make it. Most of their/my fiance's family friends live about 2 hours away from the venue. Their thoughts are a Friday wedding is incovneient for them since it is a weekday and a far commute.They even offered to pay the difference of switching the date to a Saturday.

My thoughts are, wouldn't close family and friends (guests) be willing to take a Friday off from work to make it to my wedding? Is a 2 hour commute AND weekday wedding that much of a "hardship?" Should I adjust the date to accomodate for other people?

I would love thoughts on whether it's best to stick with a Friday wedding, save money, but "risk" more people not being able to make it or switch to a Saturday wedding, incur more costs, but possibly have more people make it?

Re: Friday or Saturday?

• Options

I've currently reserved a Friday date for my wedding in August 2016. There is about a $2k-$3k savings in just the venue costs by having it on a Friday. (I've heard there can be other discounts in other areas for having a weekday wedding as well!)

My future in-laws are wondering if we should move it to Saturday so that more guests can make it. Most of their/my fiance's family friends live about 2 hours away from the venue. Their thoughts are a Friday wedding is incovneient for them since it is a weekday and a far commute.They even offered to pay the difference of switching the date to a Saturday.

My thoughts are, wouldn't close family and friends (guests) be willing to take a Friday off from work to make it to my wedding? Is a 2 hour commute AND weekday wedding that much of a "hardship?" Should I adjust the date to accomodate for other people?

I would love thoughts on whether it's best to stick with a Friday wedding, save money, but "risk" more people not being able to make it or switch to a Saturday wedding, incur more costs, but possibly have more people make it?

I'm also getting married on a Friday because it saved us some $$$. It is very generous that your FILs offered to cover the cost of the difference from moving it to a Saturday. I would be careful with this, though. Money comes with strings. If you want to maintain control over your wedding I would not accept any form of money from anyone and pay for it yourselves (if you are paying for your wedding).

To the bolded: this was my initial thought, too. But I realized that I'm in no position to put that expectation on people, or hold it against any guests who decide not to come because it is on a Friday. People frequently have priorities and scheduling conflicts that rise above your wedding. I would check with your VIPs to ensure that a Friday wedding is okay with them, since those are the most important guests to you and your FI on your wedding day.

As long as you're covering the cost of the wedding, do what is best for you and your FI, and what you can afford. 
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    We decided on a Friday wedding as well, it saved us a bit over $1k for the venue (and it's an awesome venue the more that I think about it - no preferred vendor list, has parking, pay a $75 alcohol fee and BYOB, and a few other things). I know some people won't be able to make it, and that's okay. But it'll be a nice way for people to take the day off and end up decompressing the next two days. We'll be letting people know about half a year in advance by word of mouth, then invites 2 months later. Most will make it, and honestly the extra guests aren't worth the extra expenditure in the budget. Because it's not just the venue that'll cost more, but most other things will too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    We decided on a Friday wedding as well, it saved us a bit over $1k for the venue (and it's an awesome venue the more that I think about it - no preferred vendor list, has parking, pay a $75 alcohol fee and BYOB, and a few other things). I know some people won't be able to make it, and that's okay. But it'll be a nice way for people to take the day off and end up decompressing the next two days. We'll be letting people know about half a year in advance by word of mouth, then invites 2 months later. Most will make it, and honestly the extra guests aren't worth the extra expenditure in the budget. Because it's not just the venue that'll cost more, but most other things will too.
    Your invites should not go out more than 8-10 weeks prior to your wedding date. You can send a Save the Date as early as you'd like, but invites should not be sent 4 months out. 
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards