Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Tell me what you think of my menu.

We are finalizing our menu with our caterer in the next day or two, and I wanted opinions... We have a few gluten free guests, a few dairy free guests, and (maybe?) one vegetarian. I think it sounds awesome, but I'm biased.

Apps:
  • Cucumber cups with artichoke dip (basically little carved out cucumber rounds filled with dip)
  • Salami and olive skewers
  • Charcuterie and cheese platter

Buffet Dinner:
  • BBQ chicken
  • Pulled pork sliders with pineapple bourbon mayo
  • Mac and cheese
  • Roasted red potatoes
  • Marinated green beans with feta and sun-dried tomatoes
  • Grilled corn and spinach salad
  • Fruit kebabs

Everything except the sliders and mac and cheese are gluten free; everything except the meat is vegetarian; and everything except the mac and cheese and marinated green beans are dairy free.

Oh, and our cake will be three flavors, because FMIL does wedding cakes and is going all ouy: one layer peanut butter cake with jam filling, one snickerdoodle cake with salted caramel butter cream, and one chocolate-beer layer (not actually sure what that means, but I am trusting her).

So, is that enough variety for people with food restrictions? Thanks for your input!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Tell me what you think of my menu.

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I think it looks good and should please the masses. I think people with allergies or food preferences appreciate you trying to accommodate them but depending on their situation may choose to eat ahead on their own if they don't want to worry about cross contamination, etc.  So I think your menu looks good and offers plenty of choice.  I had 2 vegetarians at mine  

And reached out just letting them know the menu (since it was BBQ and not as many choices as yours) and said I had arranged for XYZ special items for them as a heads up. that way they could decide if that would be ok or if they would want to eat before or whatever to make it work best for their situation.

• Thanks, @kvruns ! The only really strict food restrictions are a few kids with gluten intolerance (not Celiac disease, just gluten causes indigestion). I will make sure the parents know what's on the menu so they can decide whether to bring food or feed the kids beforehand. Luckily, our caterer has a lot of experience with food allergies, so hopefully cross-contamination won't be a problem. I'm just glad that none of the guests have a severe peanut allergy or something, because I would definitely be stressed about that.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    looks yummy!  I would add a crudite platter to appetizers, but that is just me.  I think that you have plenty as is, but I also go for extra veggies and they have mass appeal.
  • Sounds fantastic!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • BTW, cheese isn't vegetarian.  But everything sounds delish.

• madamerwinmadamerwin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    Jen4948 said: BTW, cheese isn't vegetarian.  But everything sounds delish.
    ---Box----

Some cheese is vegetarian - many companies no longer use rennet, but a vegetable-based enzyme instead (still not vegan, obviously). Our caterer uses Tillamook cheese, which, with the exception of a few of their specialty aged "vintage" cheddars, is made with a vegetable-based enzyme instead of rennet. 

Good point - but I guess most of my vegetarian friends are not very strict about it, or they just like cheese too much to care.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards