Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Issues sufacing with hair&makeup vendor... what do I do?

So, I had my trial done back in February and everything came out decent- I had a minor issue that is totally fixable.  I liked the girl for the most part.  She has her own salon.  She only did 1 look for hair and makeup and I was happy with it, but I'm also very easy going... So when she quoted me, I was most concerned for the cost for my bridesmaids, and she offers $120 for both hair and makeup, and $85 for hair alone.  I think my flower girl is $45, and she didn't give me a direct answer about MOB/MOG costs, but said $85 for hair (no price quote for makeup).  I didn't sign a contract, but she's willing to arrive by 5:30am to start everything, and wasn't going to charge extra for that.  Everything seemed alright until yesterday when I emailed her.

I had previously asked for a quote for my own hair and makeup and she didn't answer the question.  So I asked again yesterday and she quoted $200 for hair, $125 for makeup and $60 for a travel fee.  I had chosen her because I was under the assumption that there would be no travel fee (it's 20 miles from my location) 

I told my fiance and him being the kind of guy who never pays more than $15 for a haircut got a little mad.  I mean, this woman is making a killing for 4 hours of work (around $1500)  I tried to explain that this is what hair and makeup costs because it's a specialty... Anyway, he now wants me to shop around.

I guess I'm only starting to freak because every email I get from this girl is incoherant.  She obviously is send messages from her phone and doesn't proof read.  And I can never get a full explanation or all of my questions answered at once without nagging.  I've already paid her $100 for trial and she put my date in her phone... no signed contract, and my $100 trial was supposedly my "despoit" to reserve the date.  Not signing a contract has me worried... but I see her FB posts every weekend and she's always working with brides- so people are still booking her...

Ugh- I started shopping around again in hopes I find a better deal which includes a contract... I've found one place that will be $100 cheaper and doesn't charge a travel fee and the trial is included (but the rates are higher because of this) 

I just don't know how much I can trust this woman I've already seen... 

What would you do in my situation?

Re: Issues sufacing with hair&makeup vendor... what do I do?

• Options
    I would shop around for sure.  I had found a makeup artist I loved based on her aesthetic and photos on her website, and her prices were super reasonable for what I wanted.  However, communication was tough.  It took months to book a trial with her.  She kept telling me to throw some dates/times out and we would schedule something.  I'd send her my availability and she wouldn't answer for weeks.  I felt like such a nag.  We finally had the trial and I LOVED it.  She was great and put my date in her book.  Then I tried to get a contract from her afterwards and she was MIA again.  She kept saying she "would send it soon!!!" but it never came. 

Finally I just said fuck it and moved on.  I'm too much of a potential stress-case to deal with that shit.  Being happy with your trial and the pricing is one thing, but communication can definitely trump it.  It sounds like you're not happy with the pricing, you were pretty meh about the trial, AND she's a terrible communicator.  I think this is a no-brainer, girl!

Sidenote... 5:30 IN THE MORNING??  What time is your wedding?!?

• Options
    Thanks! @frenchiekin

She seems fine and all, but with every email being one line sentences which barely answer my questions, I just wonder if this is a huge mistake... and I'm getting the feeling it is.  

My wedding ceremony starts at 11:30am and cocktail hour and reception imediately follow.  We loved the idea of a day wedding and now I'm figuring out it's going to be a very early morning.  I have myself plus 5 bridesmaids, a flower girl and MOB and MOG.  My plan is to all be ready around 9am and do a first look and some photos at the hotel, then head to the venue and take more photos.  I swear I'm not crazy! lol 
  • Options
    klk111415 said:
    Thanks! @frenchiekin

She seems fine and all, but with every email being one line sentences which barely answer my questions, I just wonder if this is a huge mistake... and I'm getting the feeling it is.  

My wedding ceremony starts at 11:30am and cocktail hour and reception imediately follow.  We loved the idea of a day wedding and now I'm figuring out it's going to be a very early morning.  I have myself plus 5 bridesmaids, a flower girl and MOB and MOG.  My plan is to all be ready around 9am and do a first look and some photos at the hotel, then head to the venue and take more photos.  I swear I'm not crazy! lol 
    To the first bolded... I say go with your gut on this one.  I am all about cutting out potential stressors whenever possible during planning.  Doesn't hurt to at least look.

Second bolded... the early morning makes sense since your wedding is early, but I would make sure the BMs/FG/Moms know that hair and makeup is optional (unless you are paying for it, and even then I think there should be some leeway).  While I'd probably get up at the crack of dawn for my bff to get my hair done for her wedding, not everyone will be as thrilled about this.  If some of them would rather sleep a little and do their own, and you're not paying for it, they should not be forced to.  Not saying you are doing this, just putting it out there!

Also, Starbucks would be a lovely touch for everyone while getting ready that early :)

• Options
    Yes to the Starbucks, and possibly bagels or something to hold us over!  :) I've made hair and makeup optional for everyone.  And most of them are up early for their jobs- nurse, teachers, PA... so I'm not so worried about them.  It's also happening on site at the hotel they are all staying at so it will be easy to roll out of bed and head over to the room.  Caffine is going to be a must, though!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards