Attire & Accessories Forum

Silk or polyester satin lining under lace?

Super silly question here, but work is slow today! I'm wondering if anyone knows a lot about fabrics and can offer suggestions. I'm having a dressmaker create a wedding dress for me, because I am really picky, and it's fun to design the dress with her! The bodice of the dress is going to be alencon lace, with a lining underneath. The seamstress has suggested I go with a polyester satin as a lining, since it will be under the lace, and silk satin tends not to lie as smoothly. However, if I don't mind small amounts of rippling she is willing to make it for me in the silk.

I trust her but I have an (admittedly stupid and snobby) aversion to polyester, especially in gowns. So I'm looking for a second opinion, which fabric would you go with: the slightly ripply natural silk satin, or the smooth polyester satin? Thanks!

Re: Silk or polyester satin lining under lace?

• Listen to your seamstress.  Recently there was a thread about a bride who did what you are doing.  She really regretted her choice of silk.  Polyester does not water stain, and can be steamed more easily.  It also holds its shape better.  It can be spot washed if you get a stain on it.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thank you. I did not see that thread but will now go looking for it! 
  • De-lurking to say:

If you don't usually wear polyester, try getting a polyester satin dress or shirt and wearing it for a day. If you are comfy, great! If not, you can discuss alternate options with your seamstress. Poly satin is one of the least breathable fabrics available, and not everyone can tolerate it without overheating/sweating/turning red.
  • De-lurking to say: If you don't usually wear polyester, try getting a polyester satin dress or shirt and wearing it for a day. If you are comfy, great! If not, you can discuss alternate options with your seamstress. Poly satin is one of the least breathable fabrics available, and not everyone can tolerate it without overheating/sweating/turning red.
    Silk isn't exactly comfortable, either, though.  Not many brides want to get married in cotton or linen gowns.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I'll admit, I'll be making my own dress, and I'm probably going to line with cotton lawn, and maybe even go with a cotton sateen or regular cotton for the outside (and some lace for the bodice to go over the dress). I love cotton. It's easy to sew, easy to breathe, easy to correct, and easy to wash.

And yes, I'd go with poly satin, it's super versatile and nowadays polys are pretty awesome.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards