Wedding Reception Forum

Dessert Reception

After going back and forth with the idea, My FH and I have decided to have a dessert reception at our wedding. We plan to start the ceremony at 2:00pm and reception to immediately follow so we are avoiding meal times.  Has any ever done a dessert reception or been to one? If so, what kind of things did they do at the reception for entertainment. We don't plan on having a dance but should we still have a "first dance"... or just grand entrance, boutique toss, etc.. I just don't want everyone to think my wedding is BORING.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Re: Dessert Reception

• After going back and forth with the idea, My FH and I have decided to have a dessert reception at our wedding. We plan to start the ceremony at 2:00pm and reception to immediately follow so we are avoiding meal times.  Has any ever done a dessert reception or been to one? If so, what kind of things did they do at the reception for entertainment. We don't plan on having a dance but should we still have a "first dance"... or just grand entrance, boutique toss, etc.. I just don't want everyone to think my wedding is BORING.

Believe me, no one thinks the bolded items are what make a wedding exciting. People are often happy/tolerable to sit through them, but mostly no one notices if they're not there. I actually hate bouquet and garter tosses because they have so much potential to be embarrassing to your single guests.

I'd just have some classy music playing softly in the background and mingle with your guests.

• I was just at a wedding on Saturday.  Ceremony at a military chapel at noon, quick photos after, then a reception in the party room of a pub.  Tables, food, drink, and conversation.  There was music over the sound system I don't remember.  We talked, and wandered around to other people and talked to them.  There wasn't assigned seating so we just wandered around and talked to people.  It ended pretty early, but then that was by design.  We then went back to the hotel and hung out in my uncle's room; ordered room service wine and drank the beer from our coolers.  No dancing, no tosses.  We did clap when the bride and groom came in to the party room, but they didn't make a big deal about it.  Have fun!
  • You can do those things if you want, or not do them if you don't want.

We had a very intimate ceremony/reception, but even if it had been larger I doubt we would have changed much: we had music but no actual dancing (so no "first dance"), no bouquet toss (that shit cost me $400, I'm not tossing it!), no planned grand entrance. We did do a nice little cake cutting where we took pictures, but it wasn't anything big or lavish.

I think that having a low-key, dessert-only reception sounds fun!
  • I recommend including some non-sweet foods (fruit, cheese and crackers, etc.) for those who don't care to eat the desserts. Other than that, it sounds lovely. The first dance is totally optional - if it's something you and your FI want then do it, but no one will miss it if you don't.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

After going back and forth with the idea, My FH and I have decided to have a dessert reception at our wedding. We plan to start the ceremony at 2:00pm and reception to immediately follow so we are avoiding meal times.  Has any ever done a dessert reception or been to one? If so, what kind of things did they do at the reception for entertainment. We don't plan on having a dance but should we still have a "first dance"... or just grand entrance, boutique toss, etc.. I just don't want everyone to think my wedding is BORING.

I would include non-dairy, sugar-free, and gluten-free items in your provisions for anyone who wants or needs to avoid sugar, dairy foods, or foods containing gluten.

Beyond that, you can include or exclude grand entrances and tosses. But if you don't want to have general dancing, I think you should skip spotlight dances like a " first dance" as well so as not to mislead your guests into believing that they'll get to dance as well when they actually won't.
  • Jen4948 said:

I would include non-dairy, sugar-free, and gluten-free items in your provisions for anyone who wants or needs to avoid sugar, dairy foods, or foods containing gluten.

Beyond that, you can include or exclude grand entrances and tosses. But if you don't want to have general dancing, I think you should skip spotlight dances like a " first dance" as well so as not to mislead your guests into believing that they'll get to dance as well when they actually won't.

This. It's kind of rude to dance if your guests don't get to.
  • A dessert reception sounds lovely (and delicious!), though as others have said, do keep in mind your guests who may not like or be able to eat sweets. Having some nice fresh fruit available is never a bad idea, and maybe you could also get some plainer cookies/crackers as well.

Just because your reception will be different doesn't mean it will be boring; in fact, a lot of your guests may find it a refreshing change from most of the weddings they attend. And don't worry about including some of the traditions you're not sure about, because most people won't miss them. I am having a more typical dinner and dancing reception, but I'm not doing some of those traditions (namely the bouquet and garter tosses) because I think they're silly, and I will be very surprised if anyone notices and/or cares. That said, I do agree with PP's that say you can't really do a first dance if no one else is going to get to dance. It's kind of like if you got to eat cake but didn't offer anyone else a piece.
  • Dessert reception = cake and punch reception.  The etiquette is the same.  I think a first dance is too much.  I've never seen any dancing at a cake and punch reception.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  •  My fiance and I are planning to have a dessert reception. The date is saved for June 3rd, 2017. We want to have our ceremony at sunset outdoors, so the reception won't be starting until 8:00pm. By then, everyone will have already eaten dinner. Having lots of pies, bundt cakes, and cookies, and then the wedding cake. Also, who needs booze with cookies? We are offering a few signature drinks that use Kahlua, Bailey's, and cream. Also having mimosas because who doesn't like mimosas. Other than three or four signature drinks, there will be water, milk (chocolate and regular,) coffee, and some sort of soda. I am worried about the same thing... having a boring wedding. Most weddings that I have been to have food and dancing, but if you aren't a big dancer, it isn't much fun to sit around and watch others enjoy themselves. We have decided to have a few dances, like the first dance, father/daughter dance, chicken/wobble/chacha slide dances... but then have a board game table where other guests can play games. Monopoly, Yahtzee, Go Fish, a dozen decks of cards... there's no way people will be bored with competitive board games!
  •  My fiance and I are planning to have a dessert reception. The date is saved for June 3rd, 2017. We want to have our ceremony at sunset outdoors, so the reception won't be starting until 8:00pm. By then, everyone will have already eaten dinner. Having lots of pies, bundt cakes, and cookies, and then the wedding cake. Also, who needs booze with cookies? We are offering a few signature drinks that use Kahlua, Bailey's, and cream. Also having mimosas because who doesn't like mimosas. Other than three or four signature drinks, there will be water, milk (chocolate and regular,) coffee, and some sort of soda. I am worried about the same thing... having a boring wedding. Most weddings that I have been to have food and dancing, but if you aren't a big dancer, it isn't much fun to sit around and watch others enjoy themselves. We have decided to have a few dances, like the first dance, father/daughter dance, chicken/wobble/chacha slide dances... but then have a board game table where other guests can play games. Monopoly, Yahtzee, Go Fish, a dozen decks of cards... there's no way people will be bored with competitive board games!

Just my opinion, but I think you should consider having some savoury canapes or something similar - because if I was to go to a sunset wedding in early June (if the reception is starting at 8pm, would the ceremony be at 7?), meaning I have to be there by 6.30ish, which means leaving the house/ hotel by, say, 6 at the latest, so I would be getting ready from 5pm and unlikely to eat a big meal before coming to a wedding, so maybe I would be looking for a little snack or similar by that time? Or is that just me? I do eat a lot. 
  • I've never seen any dancing at all at a dessert reception.    It's usually just a dessert table, a wedding cake, and another table (or same table) with some very light snacks (crackers, cheese, maybe some pinwheel sandwiches).  Most dessert receptions that I have been to have some background music playing, and no dancing at all (not even a first dance).  

People just mingle, chat, and usually the reception is over in about 90 minutes to 2 hours.  I also suggest doing your photos before the ceremony, so people aren't waiting around for an hour for a quick dessert reception.

What time does your ceremony start?  If it starts at 7 or even 7:30 that's still a meal time and you should be providing your guests with enough food to constitute a meal.  It doesn't matter that your reception doesn't start until 8 if your ceremony is earlier.  The ceremony and reception are one event, and that even starts with the first activity (ceremony), not the last (reception).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards