Wedding Invitations & Paper

Wedding announcement for family not invited?

We are planning on having a small wedding, like 100-150 guests max. The venue is on a rooftop so we absolutely cannot have more guests than we plan for. However my mother is convinced all of our relatives and old family friends need to receive invites. While chances are they wouldn't be coming to the wedding anyways, I'm really worried about inviting too many people just in case. Is there a way to send an announcement for them to know we are getting married, maybe with an engagement picture, but without mentioning the date? So it wouldn't be an invite? I know traditionally wedding announcements are sent after the fact, but I would prefer it to look like "We're thinking of you, wish we could invite everyone but we can't..." as opposed to an after thought of "We already got married, here's pictures from the wedding you weren't invited to". Any ideas?

Re: Wedding announcement for family not invited?

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    You can send a wedding announcement, but you would do it after the wedding.

It's worded as follows:

Mr. and Mrs. Bride's Parents
    have the honor of announcing
    the marriage of their daughter
    Bride's Full Name
    to
    Groom's Full Name
    on Day, Date
    Year spelled out
    Name of Venue
    City, State/Country

If the groom's parents are included, their names go on the second line and "their daughter" would be omitted from "the marriage of" line.  Some people substitute "children" for "daughter" (my grandparents did this) but I'm not a fan.
  • We are planning on having a small wedding, like 100-150 guests max. The venue is on a rooftop so we absolutely cannot have more guests than we plan for. However my mother is convinced all of our relatives and old family friends need to receive invites. While chances are they wouldn't be coming to the wedding anyways, I'm really worried about inviting too many people just in case. Is there a way to send an announcement for them to know we are getting married, maybe with an engagement picture, but without mentioning the date? So it wouldn't be an invite? I know traditionally wedding announcements are sent after the fact, but I would prefer it to look like "We're thinking of you, wish we could invite everyone but we can't..." as opposed to an after thought of "We already got married, here's pictures from the wedding you weren't invited to". Any ideas?
    Do not. Under any circumstances. Over invite for your venue!  Sure, they MIGHT not come, but what if they do?  And you're scrambling to find a place to fit everyone at the last minute.  Sounds like a great way to spend the last few weeks before your wedding, right?

100-150 is not a small wedding.  20 people is a small wedding.

If they're not close enough to you to get invited to your wedding, you'll just have to let them know in your Christmas letter.  I think Wedding Announcements are silly unless you're eloping and need to tell all your closest friends and family all at the same time.  Facebook is not a good way to do this.  Though, if people are friends of friends, they'll probably see your wedding photos on facebook, so you won't need to tell anybody.  Invite who you want to invite and give up the idea of announcements.  That's my advice.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    Mr. and Mrs. Bride's Parents
    announce the marriage of their daughter
    Bride's First Middle
    to
    Mr. Groom's Full Name
    Date
    City, State/Country

Wedding announcements are never sent out before the wedding.  That would be like saying "We are having a party but you aren't invited."  Information should be kept minimal.  People who receive a wedding announcement are not expected to send a gift.  Cards of congratulations are more common.
    Printed engagement announcements are a faux-pas.  This would be gift grabby and rude,
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Sending anything before the wedding looks gift grabby and/or comes off as "you weren't in the top 100, so....." KWIM? 

Sending announcements afterwards is normal and NBD. See above for wording.

Do not over-invite. No matter what your mom says about "oh I'm sure they won't come." She isn't sure. We had a wedding that was OOT for most guests. Like flying in from all over the place type OOT. We had about 80% attendance. Lots of people that we were "sure they wouldn't come" definitely came.
    *********************************************************************************

• Announcements can only be sent after the wedding. You can print them ahead of time and mail them on the day after the wedding. 

100-150 is absolutely not a small wedding. To be perfectly honest, if I wasn't close enough to make the guest list for that size wedding, I probably am not close enough to need to know right away that you got married. In our world where information travels at light speed, wedding announcements are pretty rare except in the case of actually small weddings (<50 guests) and elopements. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards