New Jersey - South

How much were your alterations?

I just had to pay $500 for alterations on my dress to be taking in and hemmed....it is ruffles so maybe thats why its so much but i thought 500 was ALOT! and they took in so much I should have just gotten a smaller size but they kept insisting I order it in the larger size. How much did you pay and how was your experience, I am scared i am going to pick the dress up and it looks different.

Re: How much were your alterations?

• My alterations were about $450.  This was the Macy's in Cherry Hill's Bridal salon.  I had it hemmed, bustle added and they made straps to add to the dress.  There was a weird corner of the front of the dress that stuck out weird, so they took that part in.  But I had a corset dress, so I didn't need to have the dress taken in.  I also had ruffles on the front of the dress.

The alterations was the one thing I wish I took to an outside seamstress.  I have a lady who works out of her home.  She had done BM dress alterations for me that were great.  She probably would have charged me a fraction of what the bridal salon did.

Your dress shouldn't change or look different unless you had a dress about 4 sizes too big.  Most bridal gowns are able to be altered down about 4 sizes at still look the same.  Did she pin you in the dress while she was sizing it?  It should look exactly like it did while pinned.  Just take a breath and relax!  Your dress will be just fine!
  • I paid about $500 for alterations and a custom (but basic) veil.  I went to Michelle Manelli Boutique in Cherry Hill (no affiliation).  I had a great experience and they have wonderful customer service. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards