Chit Chat

Well I just made a huge decision...

I'm going back to school! I have been feeling very blah about finance for the past several months and have started re-evaluating my career choice. H and I have looked over our finances and we have decided that I am going to go part time at my job and go back to school. We are going to have to cut back and will have to put baby-making on hold for a year or so but I am so excited!

Has anyone else gone back to school? I feel a little awkward about it and was surprised at how much things have changed since I was in college 3 years ago. Any tips?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Well I just made a huge decision...

• Yay! Congrats! That's really exciting :) 

I went back for my masters after being out of school for 3 years, so it was very weird to me. (Leading up to the first day, I CONSTANTLY had the Billy Madison "back to school" song stuck in my head) lol 

My best advice is to make sure you have a good place to study, whether that means you set up a home office and get rid of distractions around there, or find your favorite coffee shop, or get well-acquainted with the school library. 

What also helped me a ton was that we had a cohort program, so I made friends pretty fast and we developed a very loyal study group. The very math-oriented people helped me through the really hard stats exams, and I paid them back be proof-reading/editing/advising them with essays and term papers. 
  • Congrats!!!!  What are you going back for? 

• sarawifenowsarawifenow member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015

Thanks guys!

@Casadena I want to be a high school English teacher!

ETA:

@novella1186 That is really good advice about finding a good place to study. I am going to start converting one of our spare bedrooms into a study space for me; complete with a full wall book shelf and comfy chair. Can't wait!

• @sarawifenow I just finished my Bachelor's literally two days ago, and that was after deciding to go back to college after being out of school for almost 3 years.

My advice is pick a program you're really dedicated to, make sure you have your tuition & books taken care of and do your schedule full time. Oh and rent your textbooks! That is such a money racket and you'll never use them after your class is over.

It is going to be tough whether you're working part time or full time, and part time school just drags the process out even more- get in and get out! I didn't get on the full time kick until after I had finished my Associate's and I wish I would have done full time the whole program- what should have taken 3 years took 7!

Don't feel awkward, you'll be surprised at how many students are not so young or right out of high school :)  

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• OP, congrats!

I'm probably way too full of advice as I'm an administrator in higher education and primarily work with adult learners. Time management is something I advise new students on frequently. 

I got a BA in 2005, went to get an MBA in 2007, and then got another master's from 2012-2014. So I love school!

It doesn't sound like you'll have a problem with this, but you have to want it. Non-traditional age students seem to be a bit better about this than the 18-22 set, but half the battle of sticking to a time management plan is internal motivation. When students are in school because they "have" to be or taking a class because it's "required" and doesn't peak their interest, that's when students are most at risk for falling behind. 

Set a plan for yourself, don't be afraid to utilize advisors, don't be afraid to ask professors for additional help (office hours) if you need it, and don't be afraid to fail. No awkwardness necessary; career changes happen all the time. Good luck! 

• Congrats!!!! How exciting!

I keep thinking about going back for my master's but haven't pulled the trigger. I'd like to do an online program because...easier for me. But I struggle with knowing if online programs are "legit". Or which ones are legit.
    *********************************************************************************

• I think thats brave and awesome! I took a year off between HS & College, thats the extent to my 'going back' to school haha. If I were to go back, I'd either do law school or gemological studies. Very different haha.
  • Congrats!

I finished my BA in 2001 and went back for my MBA in 2009. I was a bit older but it was a time when the economy was tanking so it was full of people like me. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

What has you worried?
  • Congrats! I left my career in October, because it isn't "family friendly". I'll be starting school in August to become a nurse (after putting that on hold for the job I just left lol), I'm nervous, but anxious and excited!!! Best of luck on this journey!
  • @wandajune6 I think I am the most worried about falling behind of my peers. I feel like I am super rusty!
  • Thanks guys!

@Casadena I want to be a high school English teacher!

ETA:

@novella1186 That is really good advice about finding a good place to study. I am going to start converting one of our spare bedrooms into a study space for me; complete with a full wall book shelf and comfy chair. Can't wait!

Run! Run away! I'm kidding. I love my job and dont want to kill the teenagers EVERY day. ;)
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • @AddieCake Haha that is usually people's reactions when I tell them. I knew you were a teacher, but I didn't know what you taught. Is it English?

• Yes, I teach English.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • edited June 2015

I'm going back to school! I have been feeling very blah about finance for the past several months and have started re-evaluating my career choice. H and I have looked over our finances and we have decided that I am going to go part time at my job and go back to school. We are going to have to cut back and will have to put baby-making on hold for a year or so but I am so excited!

Has anyone else gone back to school? I feel a little awkward about it and was surprised at how much things have changed since I was in college 3 years ago. Any tips?

3 years, oh bless your heart.  Now if I went back to undergrad, lol. . .

Good luck!

ETA:  What's the job market like in your area for teachers?  I ask because in my area, there are no full time teaching positions available.  It's even becoming very difficult to get a sub position, and then people will wait on the sub lists for years until a teacher either dies or retires, and then 100s of applicants fight for that one opening.  Or students get their teaching degrees here and then go South or to other ares of the country for jobs.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Congratulations!

I started school last summer (25 then, 26 now) and this is the first time in my life I've been able to go full-time. I couldn't afford to do more than a class or two at community colleges when I graduated high school. When I got out of the military last year, I was very happy to go back. It has its ups and downs, but overall I feel blessed to have such an opportunity. Make the most of your education.

• landa10315landa10315 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2015

Good luck!

ETA:  What's the job market like in your area for teachers?  I ask because in my area, there are no full time teaching positions available.  It's even becoming very difficult to get a sub position, and then people will wait on the sub lists for years until a teacher either dies or retires, and then 100s of applicants fight for that one opening.  Or students get their teaching degrees here and then go South or to other ares of the country for jobs.

This is exactly the situation where I live. I was actually a teacher and my position (along with many other positions) was eliminated. At this point, one or two full-time jobs pop up in my area each school year, and there's so much competition. I ended up going back for a second masters because of this. I don't mean to be discouraging! I love teaching, and if the market were better over here I would still be doing it. School is freaking awesome, and you'll have a blast going back. It was even better going back as someone a bit older than the rest of my classmates. It was a fresh perspective, and gave me more experience to play off of. If I won the lottery I would be a professional student!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2015
    sarawifenow said: I'm going back to school! I have been feeling very blah about finance for the past several months and have started re-evaluating my career choice. H and I have looked over our finances and we have decided that I am going to go part time at my job and go back to school. We are going to have to cut back and will have to put baby-making on hold for a year or so but I am so excited! Has anyone else gone back to school? I feel a little awkward about it and was surprised at how much things have changed since I was in college 3 years ago. Any tips?

--------Seriously? It had been going so well-------

A couple of times, my H has tried taking classes again, but he's always decided it was just a phase and dropped out a few weeks in.  He has felt weird and complained about being a college student again, but I just remind him that there really are
    lots of people doing the non-traditional thing nowadays, and he probably won't be the only one in the class. 

My last few years in college, I know I had at least a couple classes that had two or three students out of a class of 10-12 who would be considered non-traditional, including one who was in his 60's!
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

Good luck!

That's a good point, especially because I would assume OP is getting a masters and I would think then she would cost more to a school district than someone right out of undergrad.
  • sarawifenowsarawifenow member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    kvruns said:

Good luck!

That's a good point, especially because I would assume OP is getting a masters and I would think then she would cost more to a school district than someone right out of undergrad.

Yes @kvruns I am going back for a masters. I have a BA in finance with a minor in English literature.

@PrettyGirlLost From what I am gathering, there is still a need for teachers especially in low-income schools (which we have plenty of). I am not too concerned as of right now because I have at least 2 years (I think) before I would get my teaching degree.

ETA: I just looked this up and found THIS (<---clicky) website that talks about the job market for teachers in CO. I am feeling good about it!

• Congratulations!!! I don't have any advice beyond what PPs have shared, but just wanted to say it is awesome that you are taking steps towards a new career! Kick butt and takes names!
  • That's awesome! Congrats!

• I always had a least a couple of non-traditional students in my classes when I taught at a university. Some did well and others didn't and it really came down to how much they prioritized their classes above other things in their life. Some just didn't want to commit the time it takes to really be a good student and succeed in class or expected special treatment because they were non-traditional students. I'm not saying you would do this but don't professors to make exceptions for you just because you are a non-traditional student.

• Congrats!!!! How exciting!

I keep thinking about going back for my master's but haven't pulled the trigger. I'd like to do an online program because...easier for me. But I struggle with knowing if online programs are "legit". Or which ones are legit.
    @southernbelle0915... Accreditation and state approvals. The institution itself must be regionally accredited (avoid nationally accredited) by an accreditation body approved by the Department of Education or CHEA (accreditors are ideally on both lists). http://www.chea.org/

Many individual professions have their own programmatic accreditors. Nursing, Business, Pharmacy, Journalism, the ABA for law for example... If you go to an institution that's regionally accredited and a program that's programmatically accredited, you'll be fine. 
    Anyone purusing a profession that's licensed has to make sure the program/ institution is approved by the state's department of professions so that graduates can get the required license. 

• What a great decision. I always said that if I won the lottery, I would go back to school. I know there is no way that I can juggle working full time and schooling. I am just not that disciplined.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards