Wedding Etiquette Forum

Did FI invite someone via conversation?

FI was speaking to his dad, and the bean dipping is not strong with this one.  I walked in to catch FFIL telling FI we should have a cash bar (nope, not happening).  FI said, "Well, I hope Uncle Humperdinck isn't sore when he sees Grandpa have a drink."

Problem:  Uncle Humperdinck is not on the guest list. 

Is Uncle Humperdinck now on the guest list? 

Re: Did FI invite someone via conversation?

• huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2015
    Was Uncle Humperdink there? Does your FI want him there? If he wasn't there, then no you didn't invite him by just mentioning to another person. But if your FI wants him there or thinks he's invited, maybe he should be.

• Was Uncle Humperdink there? Does your FI want him there? If he wasn't there, then no you didn't invite him by just mentioning to another person. But if your FI wants him there or thinks he's invited, maybe he should be.
    I don't know, I think all it takes is for Dad to start talking to Uncle Humperdinck about the wedding for the uncle to start making plans to attend. If Dad seems like the type that would go back and repeat that conversation, her FI might want to tell Dad not to mention anything OR just invite the uncle if they want to/can.
  • Was Uncle Humperdink there? Does your FI want him there? If he wasn't there, then no you didn't invite him by just mentioning to another person. But if your FI wants him there or thinks he's invited, maybe he should be.
    I don't know, I think all it takes is for Dad to start talking to Uncle Humperdinck about the wedding for the uncle to start making plans to attend. If Dad seems like the type that would go back and repeat that conversation, her FI might want to tell Dad not to mention anything OR just invite the uncle if they want to/can.
    Yeah, this is my concern.  I'll relay to FI that he should tell his dad to keep these convos to himself for now, since nothing is set and stone and might change. 

• Was Uncle Humperdink there? Does your FI want him there? If he wasn't there, then no you didn't invite him by just mentioning to another person.

But if your FI wants him there or thinks he's invited, maybe he should be.

Yeah, this is my concern.  I'll relay to FI that he should tell his dad to keep these convos to himself for now, since nothing is set and stone and might change. 

Sounds like a good course of action. But I'd also let FI know not to mention in any wedding-related conversations who is and isn't invited.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards