Attire & Accessories Forum

blank

nsho4nsho4 member
First Comment First Anniversary
delete account

Re: blank

• nsho4 said:
    Hi everyone,

I'm seeking advice on styling for my non-traditional, casual wedding event. We won't have a formal ceremony and are having live music, so plan to hop on stage at some point during the evening to have our friend marry us. I know it is kind of weird, but my personal preference is no processional, no formal sit-down dinner, and no arranged dance schedule. No dollar dance, etc. We are both progressive families and the  celebration is being held in a female-owned boxing gym in the Minneapolis, MN arts district.

I am planning to wear a maxi dress in champagne, beige, or ivory... maybe something shiny by Adrianna Papell? Such as: http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/adrianna-papell-beaded-dress-long-blouson?ID=682871

My mom has found this metallic cardigan to wear with a dark gray shirt and, I think, white pants: http://www.chicos.com/store/product/travelers-collection-duster-cardigan/570145061?color=3844&catId=cat40001&fromSearch=true&scPos=1-1142-3416

What do you think about me wearing a non-traditional color and style of dress and my mom wearing a white, gray, and metallic pantsuit? I am seeking opinions on the MOB outfit, specifically, her possibly wearing white pants and being the only one wearing white. It's fine by me, but I don't want everyone to think we are severely fashion faux-pas-ing so thought to get some input from others :)

THANK YOU for your opinions! I look forward to hearing them.

I wouldn't see this as a big deal at all, but especially not with how you're wanting to do things. We always say that when parents ask, tell them to wear whatever they feel comfortable in. I think this is no different, and even though you won't be in a big poofy dress, no one will forget who the bride is. It doesn't sound like your circle is very traditional (although I don't know), so I doubt anyone would side eye it.  

To the bolded, what time is the event going to be held? If it's at a traditional meal time, you need to serve a meal. It can be pizza or chicken wings or whatever, but people will be hungry and want to eat. If it's at a non meal time, you can get away with more finger foods, etc. Traditional or not, your guests need to be hosted properly.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I think both you and your mother can wear whatever you want, especially for a "casual" and "non-traditional" wedding. Try not to over-think it!
  • It sounds like you and your mom are both going to look amazing.

As a guest, I would not wear white to a wedding, but I would also not really question someone else doing so, especially a member of the family. (But then, I naively assume that people's families are supportive and aren't trying to offend the bride deliberately. I know very well that's not always the case.) I guess what I'm saying is that as long as you're cool with your mom wearing white, everyone else should also be cool with it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it's great. Wear whatever you both want!
  • nsho4nsho4 member
    edited July 2015
  • nsho4nsho4 member
    edited July 2015
  • You and your mother can wear whatever you like.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • nsho4nsho4 member
    edited July 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards